Did Jake Like Randy

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

BowTie29
Cool Member

Did Jake Like Randy

Post by BowTie29 »

Does anyone know if Jake liked Randy at all? for some reason I have always thought that he didn't like Randy at all but I may eb wrong as that is just what I have always thought with no evidence or support to it
Mozart82

Re: Did Jake Like Randy

Post by Mozart82 »

From what I remember from Jake's interviews he liked Randy's playing. I don't think he knew Randy or met him though. Jake didn't like fans holding up Randy Banners in the crowd too much. He said it just reminded Ozzy that Randy wasn't around, and Jake took it as a put down because he was there doing the gig trying to make a name for himself.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

I imagine LA in the early eighties were pretty competitive. Jake may of loved Randy's playing but it must of made his life tough. Having to play all those Randy songs, Prove himself (originality), crowd signs (above), the constant comparison and the Ozzy treatment like, "Randy would ofdone it this way." I still have to hear Ozzy talk about how Jake, even Brad and Bernie helped him continue on. A thank you shouldn't used so sparingly from someone (Ozzy) so thankful of the fans. Badlands were very cool although Zeppelinesque... I saw them a few times but then Ray got sick and passed on. I couldn't imagine playing with a group of guys that you consider "the line-up" and someone dies. How does one recover from this?
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

It definitely had to be a tough for those guys. Those are some big shoes today fill.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Why would anyone think Jake disliked Randy?

dasboot

Post by dasboot »

I remember reading Jake and Warren Demartini were roommates at the time of Randy's death, and when they heard the news that day they were really bummed and went out for drinks. Gotta give Jake credit. He really stepped in and threw down with "Bark at the Moon" (song).
"He could interpret blazing renditions of his compositions as easily as taking a breath"-Rudy Sarzo
camdenlp
Cool Member

Post by camdenlp »

I don't think he would have any reason to dislike Randy. I'm sure there had to be times when he was tired of hearing comparisons. Both great guitarists. Obviously one was leaps and bounds better than the other (imho)

I like Jake, but there really isn't a comparison. Sure, he could play all the songs, even quite well. But to Randy it was more like he was the song. Never played it exactly the same as before. Without Randy Rhoads, I can't imagine what the hard rock/heavy metal world would sound like. Could you say that about Jake? That's debatable
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

camdenlp wrote:Without Randy Rhoads, I can't imagine what the hard rock/heavy metal world would sound like.
Come on. Look back a century and you'll find a plethora
of guys that were FAR more influential... Tony Iommi comes to mind.
camdenlp
Cool Member

Post by camdenlp »

Tony is great too...and you are right there are many influential guitarists before and after. But you're high if you think Randy Rhoads did not inspire the majority of today's metal guitarists in some way. You think RR's mark on the genre isn't still present today? Think again...
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

dasboot wrote:I remember reading Jake and Warren Demartini were roommates at the time of Randy's death, and when they heard the news that day they were really bummed and went out for drinks. Gotta give Jake credit. He really stepped in and threw down with "Bark at the Moon" (song).
I read the same thing. I also remember reading that warren showed him some of randys riffs for the audition.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

camdenlp wrote:But you're high if you think Randy Rhoads did not inspire the majority of today's metal guitarists in some way. You think RR's mark on the genre isn't still present today? Think again...
...and what way and what mark would that be? 8)
Just because you're crazy about him doesn't mean the rest of the world is ;)
camdenlp
Cool Member

Post by camdenlp »

How often do you see his name come up when today's guitarists mention their influences? I love his playing and composition because it all makes sense. He was more than just a guitarist. He knew music and was much more than the 'shredders' we see today. I don't expect you to understand if you're really this ignorant
slobberface

Post by slobberface »

Don't really see many guitarists out of the last few years mentioning Randy at all, most of the guitar players you see praising Randy these days are guitarists from the 80's and a few from the 90's, not really guitarists of "today"... don't get me wrong, Randy does have a lot of younger fans out there, but it's a pretty rare site for me...I definitely agree that "Just because you're crazy about him doesn't mean the rest of the world is" ...Randy is definitely my favorite guitar player, and most definitely should have miles more recognition than he gets - but the fact is most people just simply don't feel the same way.

And about Jake - he played on the covers of Revelation and Crazy Train from the 'Randy Rhoads Tribute' album (the one from 2000 or whatever) so I think that right there shows that Jake is a fan of Randy's...
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

I think that if you check I'm sure Randy has influenced most of the new guitar players out there. Your gonna tell me these guys never came across BOO or DOAM? They never heard crazy train, mr. Crowley,flying high again? Your nuts if you answer yes! Those songs and both albums are just as big,popular and important as black sabbath.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Now that I think of it. By some of the strange comments I hear people make about Randy I wonder if they know it is a site a site for Randy.