What could Randy play?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

sbjch1997

What could Randy play?

Post by sbjch1997 »

Hey I have been a long time Randy fan and I know he plays rock, pop, blues, metal, classical, flamenco and jazz. I also just heard he played German polka music. Apparently he believed you should learn as many styles as you can, plus he taught a lot of students who probably all didn't want the same thing. So I was wondering what other styles could Randy play?

Thanks
Stiltzkin

Re: What could Randy play?

Post by Stiltzkin »

How do you know what he could play?
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

I guess that only limitation to one´s playing is lack of skills, lack of time...I mean, if you´re determined enough, then I guess there´s quite a bit one could master. I think it was said that only thing that limited Hendrix, was his imagination. And the sad fact that he passed on so early... Well, whatever....
Mikel
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Stiltzkin wrote:How do you know what he could play?
That was the first thing that popped into my head, too...

I've read that he liked some jazz guys... he shocked Bob LaFonde by playing DiMeola... he studied classical and obviously played blues, metal, rock and pop from the recordings we all know... never heard about flamenco, except that me could play Malagueña...

I've also been told that he was very good at funk and disco bass playing... once the theory is mastered, the main issue with being able to play different styles is applying the proper rhythms and techniques... for example, the Mixolydian mode is common in southern rock, blues, jazz... etc.
sbjch1997

Post by sbjch1997 »

Paul Wolfe wrote:

I've read that he liked some jazz guys... he shocked Bob LaFonde by playing DiMeola... he studied classical and obviously played blues, metal, rock and pop from the recordings we all know... never heard about flamenco, except that me could play Malagueña...

I've also been told that he was very good at funk and disco bass playing... once the theory is mastered, the main issue with being able to play different styles is applying the proper rhythms and techniques... for example, the Mixolydian mode is common in southern rock, blues, jazz... etc.
I am pretty sure that Bob Daisley had stated once in an interview that Randy spent a whole week learning flamenco guitar and after that week he could play beautifully. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think there was a lot more to Randy than the general public knows. Randy obviously played rock, blues, classical, and metal. And according to Bob Daisley he can also play flamenco. And I've read in countless interviews and magazines that Randy was studying classical and jazz heavily right before he passed.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

You also forgot in that interview that he played mariachi music and reggae quite well..
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

sbjch1997 wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:

I am pretty sure that Bob Daisley had stated once in an interview that Randy spent a whole week learning flamenco guitar and after that week he could play beautifully. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think there was a lot more to Randy than the general public knows. Randy obviously played rock, blues, classical, and metal. And according to Bob Daisley he can also play flamenco. And I've read in countless interviews and magazines that Randy was studying classical and jazz heavily right before he passed.
Makes perfect sense that he would study and learn several styles of playing, it shouldn't surprise anyone.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

sbjch1997 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but I think there was a lot more to Randy than the general public knows.
Oh definitely... When I was Frank in Anaheim he put it like this: metal was Randy's job, he played metal because that's where he earned his keep. His passion was classical. His sister once said Randy was interested in any style of guitar playing, which would lead me to believe he had various styles under his belt that didn't fit the Ozzy mold.

I picture Randy listening to the radio and hearing something that caught his attention he'd figure out how to play it. Eddie did that. He once said that he could play anything he heard on the radio within 5 minutes. I imagine Randy could do the same.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Paul Wolfe wrote:I imagine Randy could do the same.
I wonder...
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

I remember in a interview that eddie said when he studied classical piano he would remember the music and didn't learn to read music and fooled the teacher.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Geo Sav wrote:I remember in a interview that eddie said when he studied classical piano he would remember the music and didn't learn to read music and fooled the teacher.

I remember reading that as well... just shows that Eddie had a lazy streak...
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
Geo Sav wrote:I remember in a interview that eddie said when he studied classical piano he would remember the music and didn't learn to read music and fooled the teacher.

I remember reading that as well... just shows that Eddie had a lazy streak...
Also a good memory and ear as well. :lol: