Randy And Instruments Played

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Randy And Instruments Played

Post by Geo Sav »

I know Randy taught Bass guitar so he obviously can play it. Did he play piano and/or any other instruments?
camdenlp
Cool Member

Re: Randy And Instruments Played

Post by camdenlp »

I'm probably wrong, and this could be just one of the many rumors surrounding Randy, but I heard once that he wrote some of the bass lines in Blizzard? Or maybe in Diary...can't remember where I read it either
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

He definitely helped on the bass for Crazy Train cause if you watched the Quiet Riot live bootleg they play the beginning bass line on Crazy Train after his solo. He taught bass and can play that I was wondering about piano,drums ect.
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

randy played some basic piano. he could read music as well, but he preferred not to as a rule.
camdenlp
Cool Member

Post by camdenlp »

Frank, if you don't mind me asking, how old were you when you took your lessons from Randy? You still play, right?
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Interesting questions. I gotta tell again frank I wish I could have studied with Randy.
frank

Post by frank »

february, 1978. i was 23 and randy was 21. because i wasn't a teenager like most of his pupils, randy treated me differently from the start. i took lessons at the house...cross legged on the living room floor. we became close friends almost immediately. this continued until he left for england in late 1979.

randy "oh good...you haven't left yet"
frank "no...i'm heading out the door right now (lie)"
randy "that's great. i'm out of smokes. can you pick me up a pack on your way here?"
frank "sure randy. no problem."

yes, i still play.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

That's awesome!!! Frank feel free to fill me in on any Randy stories you have.
frank

Post by frank »

Geo Sav wrote:That's awesome!!! Frank feel free to fill me in on any Randy stories you have.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=887
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

camdenlp wrote:I'm probably wrong, and this could be just one of the many rumors surrounding Randy, but I heard once that he wrote some of the bass lines in Blizzard? Or maybe in Diary...can't remember where I read it either
Can't imagine Bob needing any help with or someone to write bass lines.....Randy might have had some ideas though, muso's throw them around all the time at rehearsals, but ultimately Randy was working with seasoned professionals....!!
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Randy said, Cello, flute and/or something. George check out Mike Stark (And others) on Facebook, the guy could play anything in 10th grade. It took him 2 weeks to get up to speed for Yngwie! This is the guy I have been asking questions lately. I posted a Randy lesson and asked him what he was doing...
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

Geo Sav wrote:He definitely helped on the bass for Crazy Train cause if you watched the Quiet Riot live bootleg they play the beginning bass line on Crazy Train after his solo. He taught bass and can play that I was wondering about piano,drums ect.

With all due respect to Randy, Bob Daisley wrote his own bass lines on Crazy Train and every other song on Blizzard and Diary, he's been a professional musician since he was sixteen and I doubt that he needed help from anyone. Randy was a wonderful guitarist but he didn't truly shine until he worked with seasoned professionals.
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

hansolo wrote:Randy said, Cello, flute and/or something. George check out Mike Stark (And others) on Facebook, the guy could play anything in 10th grade. It took him 2 weeks to get up to speed for Yngwie! This is the guy I have been asking questions lately. I posted a Randy lesson and asked him what he was doing...
Hi Joe! Mike and I are friends on facebook. We took music theory together in high school. I left him a message but never heard back from him. We used to jam with each other and talk about Randy all the time. I drove him to my parents house to show him the after hours video way back in the day.back then barely anyone had that video then. If there is anything you have questions about let me know I could help you out.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Sky wrote:
Geo Sav wrote:He definitely helped on the bass for Crazy Train cause if you watched the Quiet Riot live bootleg they play the beginning bass line on Crazy Train after his solo. He taught bass and can play that I was wondering about piano,drums ect.

With all due respect to Randy, Bob Daisley wrote his own bass lines on Crazy Train and every other song on Blizzard and Diary, he's been a professional musician since he was sixteen and I doubt that he needed help from anyone. Randy was a wonderful guitarist but he didn't truly shine until he worked with seasoned professionals.
I'll tell ya what did you ever see the Quiet Riot show from the late 70s? I think its at the end of laughing gas Randys solo. Check that out and let me know what you hear. Bob did have a important part on the recordings. As far as randys playing he had nothing to do with that.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Could you post a link to a video of Laughing Gas where you hear Crazy Train? At 8:18 of this they play a 3 chord sequence that could be argued to sound similar, but that same sequence is in hundreds of songs...

When Randy came up with the opening of Over the Mountain, Ozzy commented on how it sounded like the song Black Sabbath, but no one says Tony Iommi helped Randy write guitar parts...

[for the record, I have my own copy of that YouTube video on my hard drive, so the part might not be exactly @ the 8:18 mark on the video linked in my post]