It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:27 pm


Post a new topicPost a reply Page 22 of 24   [ 352 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Bobs book??
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:59 pm 
Mass Poster

Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:19 am
Posts: 5171
hansolo wrote:
The pedal board probably wasn't grounded or shielded correctly.


That's what I was getting at, for the money, the soldering should have been pristine and the thing should have been grounded properly.

hansolo wrote:
In Bob's book he talks about a guitarist named Luther Grosvenor who played with Spooky Tooth and became Ariel Bender when he joined Mott the Hoople.


I heard that Randy was a fan of Grosvenor's playing ages ago. Can't recall where I heard it though, I think it may have been in a conversation with Kevin or maybe Kelly G...

Check the following videos: Mott and the QR coincidental or an influence?

1973 Mott the Hoople live... Rock and Roll Queen Medly = http://youtu.be/BOok8GpvAZc?t=10m3s

1979 Quiet Riot live... Back to the Coast = http://youtu.be/WnaEtQTAwvg?t=5m30s


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bobs book??
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:04 pm 
Mass Poster

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:06 pm
Posts: 587
Paul Wolfe wrote:
hansolo wrote:
The pedal board probably wasn't grounded or shielded correctly.


That's what I was getting at, for the money, the soldering should have been pristine and the thing should have been grounded properly.

hansolo wrote:
In Bob's book he talks about a guitarist named Luther Grosvenor who played with Spooky Tooth and became Ariel Bender when he joined Mott the Hoople.


I heard that Randy was a fan of Grosvenor's playing ages ago. Can't recall where I heard it though, I think it may have been in a conversation with Kevin or maybe Kelly G...

Check the following videos: Mott and the QR coincidental or an influence?

[youtube]http://youtu.be/BOok8GpvAZc?t=10m3s[/youtube]

[youtube]http://youtu.be/WnaEtQTAwvg?t=5m30s[/youtube]




Hi Paul Randy was a fan of Aerial Bender in Widowmaker and Mott the Hoople and Uriah Heeps Demons and Wizards album , he used to play it all the time....

What a coincidence because they dedicated the song Wizard to Randy when Bob went back every night for 7 weeks on that Us tour after the accident.

The line " He was a wizard of a thousand kings and i chanced to meet him one night wandering" Bob says in his book that when he heard this line he would turn away from the audience with tears in his eyes....very sad.

_________________
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bobs book??
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:37 am 
Mass Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:16 pm
Posts: 1050
mojopin70 wrote:
This is where the pedalboard was delivered to Clearwell Castle made by a guy in London called Pete Holmes and where Randy first tested it . Sabbath wrote most of the Sabbath Bloody Sabbath album here and Zeppelin did pre production in 1977 ....I live about 10 mins from here....

I love that picture!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bobs book??
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:57 am 
Cool Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:35 pm
Posts: 296
Location: Europe
God bless the mailman! (Well, milkman too!) Bob´s book is here! Took less than a week to arrive; international mail is very fast! I have only checked it thru´ briefly and I´m ecstatic! Just looking at all the rare photos makes the book worth getting, let alone that Bob seems to have done amazing job writing this book! I can´t miss my date in less than an hour, so I´m gonna have to take Bob´s book with me! Hopefully she´s gonna put up with it :lol:
She plays guitar too, so I guess it´s okay! :mrgreen:

_________________
Mikel


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bobs book??
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:37 pm 
Mass Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:00 pm
Posts: 552
Location: Belgium
stealaway wrote:
God bless the mailman! (Well, milkman too!) Bob´s book is here! Took less than a week to arrive; international mail is very fast! I have only checked it thru´ briefly and I´m ecstatic! Just looking at all the rare photos makes the book worth getting, let alone that Bob seems to have done amazing job writing this book! I can´t miss my date in less than an hour, so I´m gonna have to take Bob´s book with me! Hopefully she´s gonna put up with it :lol:
She plays guitar too, so I guess it´s okay! :mrgreen:


Seems like you have the ultimate date test material with you! Have fun

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bobs book??
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:57 pm 
Cool Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:35 pm
Posts: 296
Location: Europe
Nice and smooth date that was! I just had to explain her about Bob´s book and she thought that it seemed very well done :D We talked about guitar and even visited the local record-store and I promised to test and re-string her guitar :wink: I just finished my guitar practice for today and rest of the night is going to be spend with Bob´s book!!! Just waiting to get UFO: High Stakes And Dangerous Men-book... Hurry up again mailman!!! :mrgreen:

_________________
Mikel


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bobs book??
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:39 am 
Cool Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:33 pm
Posts: 142
Location: S.F.P. of EU
It was a good read! A bit rushed in the end but very well written, detailed and entertaining in all. :D

I must say I was a bit surprised about the end and how much the O's were given space for the obvious reasons. We all know Sharon's way of doing business, exploiting and screwing up people. What I don't understand is why Bob got back with them over and over and over again. The same thing happened every single time, he didn't get paid or wasn't credited correctly. I understand him as an artist wanting to create music with fellow pro musicians and being very fond of Ozzy but still. I don't get my head around it, I just don't get it. Why not make contracts in writing from day one? Having the same accountant as the O's for decades??? Very bad business decisions were made all the way by the looks of it. Things could be very different if done differently ages ago. Hindsight is a beautiful thing, isn't it?

I wish him and Lee all the best, I really do.

Bob provided these rehearsal tapes for the Rainbow LLRR Deluxe Edition released last year. I reckon "The Holy Grail" could be same or even better quality having recorded couple of years later (hopefully less bass tho! :lol: ). These are actually from Shepperton studio rehearsals from London, not LA.






Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bobs book??
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:19 pm 
Mass Poster

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:06 pm
Posts: 587
Geo Sav wrote:
hansolo wrote:
Anybody wanna talk about the book? It is really a good read. Bob also talks about Randy getting his pedalboard for the first time and recording Randy playing with it. Anybody know if randy gave the MXR effects to the guy and he just hardwired them in? I heard it was like $1,500 to build it.


That is a great question Han!! I wish we knew more about Randy's pedalboard. The book is great so far. It's funny bob talks about OTM cause people would always say that wasn't Lee and it was Frankie or someone else. Bob set it straight. Ya gotta believe him! He was there!



People lie to try and take all the glory....

_________________
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bobs book??
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:37 pm 
Cool Member

Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:02 am
Posts: 101
Isodee wrote:
It was a good read! A bit rushed in the end but very well written, detailed and entertaining in all. :D

I must say I was a bit surprised about the end and how much the O's were given space for the obvious reasons. We all know Sharon's way of doing business, exploiting and screwing up people. What I don't understand is why Bob got back with them over and over and over again. The same thing happened every single time, he didn't get paid or wasn't credited correctly. I understand him as an artist wanting to create music with fellow pro musicians and being very fond of Ozzy but still. I don't get my head around it, I just don't get it. Why not make contracts in writing from day one? Having the same accountant as the O's for decades??? Very bad business decisions were made all the way by the looks of it. Things could be very different if done differently ages ago. Hindsight is a beautiful thing, isn't it?

I wish him and Lee all the best, I really do.

Bob provided these rehearsal tapes for the Rainbow LLRR Deluxe Edition released last year. I reckon "The Holy Grail" could be same or even better quality having recorded couple of years later (hopefully less bass tho! :lol: ). These are actually from Shepperton studio rehearsals from London, not LA.






Wow, I wouldn't have expected such clear sound.

Anyone else besides me that emailed long ago (when they first took requests) to order an autographed copy but was never notified? I'm dying to get this book but can't get any response.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bobs book??
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:49 pm 
Mass Poster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:05 am
Posts: 1027
The just needed to move the recorder further away, to prevent distortion. The Suicide demo is distorted, I don't believe it was as clear as this but who knows how many gens it is?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bobs book??
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:20 am 
Madman

Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:45 am
Posts: 407
The 'Suicide Solution" demo is also a different drummer, it's not Lee. The "Grail Tapes" were recorded on a (then) top of the line Marantz tape recorder.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bobs book??
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:41 pm 
Cool Member

Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:15 pm
Posts: 108
Hi, maybe this is old, so apologise in advance. I have read that Don Airey is going to write a book . You can read the interview in this fórum:

http://www.racerxband.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=8339

I think it would be very interesting. Don seems very kind person and he talk about several funny stories with Randy.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bobs book??
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:30 pm 
Mass Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:42 pm
Posts: 4425
Elvira wrote:
Hi, maybe this is old, so apologise in advance. I have read that Don Airey is going to write a book . You can read the interview in this fórum:

http://www.racerxband.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=8339

I think it would be very interesting. Don seems very kind person and he talk about several funny stories with Randy.


I'm not sure if Don's book is still in the making but the posts on that forum are from 2005. Eight years later did the book come out or was an idea that fizzled out ??.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bobs book??
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:51 am 
Cool Member

Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:12 am
Posts: 120
Location: Australia
Paul Wolfe wrote:
mojopin70 wrote:
hansolo wrote:
Anybody wanna talk about the book? It is really a good read. Bob also talks about Randy getting his pedalboard for the first time and recording Randy playing with it. Anybody know if randy gave the MXR effects to the guy and he just hardwired them in? I heard it was like $1,500 to build it.



Yes that was at Clearwell Castle about 10 mins drive from here......£1100 pounds , yes i think he took the housing off and wired them in ....

Pete Mertons would know ......if hes still around......


According to What's the Cost, £1,100.00 in 1980 is equivalent to £3,407.71 in 2013. So, for that kind of money, the guy who made the pedal board for Randy wasn't very good, was he? From what I've seen, the housing was alright, nothing spectacular. The kicker being that the thing was nicknamed "the Chip Pan" because of all the noise it made. You'd think that for the money the guy could have soldered better...


It wouldnt have anything to do with the soldering work. What we need to remember, is this was 1980ish. Basically his board was built from existing pedals. These pedals have all been revised over the years to prevent hum and buzz. He also didnt have a buffer unit (they werent available at the time), so the signal degrades as it passes through multiple connections (and a long lead from guitar to pedals, and then from pedals to amp), but also picks up noise as it goes. The main guitar signal looses strength from resistance. Resistance from multiple connections increases noise. Not to mention, the Marshalls are pretty noisy too. The MXR pedals I have (same vintage) are all really noisy. Chain a bunch of them together and it just gets crazy.

Resistance from long leads cuts the treble. Adding treble (via the MXR 10band EQ) increases buzz and 'fizz'.

I'd love to see the back of the pedal board, and even better, inside it!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bobs book??
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:47 pm 
Mass Poster

Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:19 am
Posts: 5171
Will Bob's book ever be available for the Kindle?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 22 of 24   [ 352 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
twilightBB Style by Daniel St. Jules of Gamexe.net