Bobs book??

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

DMRX
Mass Poster

Re: Bobs book??

Post by DMRX »

[/quote]

Spoiler alert! There is a 4 song BOO demo mentioned, as well as the first time OTM was played and the first song they worked up but they didn't use. Bob mentions recording those things and having recordings AKA the grail, as some have mentioned. Yes, I find it a good read and Bob does come off as a good guy who had some bad deals on the money side but doesn't hold grudges.[/quote]
hansolo wrote:
DMRX wrote:Cant Wait for it,Im Having Some serious legal/Money headaches at the moment ,but after listening & worshiping these records & everything RR since I was 6,I HAVE to Know Someone Help me.......Please!!
I was gonna write Bob on his Website as Im sure he'll answer,but I dont want to ask him something thats in the book,so can ANYONE of you fellow RR die-hards just tell me if there is any tracklisting info about the BOO Pre-Production demos that were recorded for Jet? Lee had mentioned hearing them before auditioning w/Goodbye to Romance (Obviously) & Crazy Train w/a Disco-type beat...is there anything mentioned about what else was recorded ???
Spoiler alert! There is a 4 song BOO demo mentioned, as well as the first time OTM was played and the first song they worked up but they didn't use. Bob mentions recording those things and having recordings AKA the grail, as some have mentioned. Yes, I find it a good read and Bob does come off as a good guy who had some bad deals on the money side but doesn't hold grudges.
hansolo wrote:
Thank You hans...That Has To be SO Damn interesting!! Does he mention the track list??
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

Waiting for the book!!! Hurry up mailman!!! :D
Mikel
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

hansolo wrote:Anybody wanna talk about the book? It is really a good read. Bob also talks about Randy getting his pedalboard for the first time and recording Randy playing with it. Anybody know if randy gave the MXR effects to the guy and he just hardwired them in? I heard it was like $1,500 to build it.
That is a great question Han!! I wish we knew more about Randy's pedalboard. The book is great so far. It's funny bob talks about OTM cause people would always say that wasn't Lee and it was Frankie or someone else. Bob set it straight. Ya gotta believe him! He was there!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

mojopin70 wrote:
hansolo wrote:Anybody wanna talk about the book? It is really a good read. Bob also talks about Randy getting his pedalboard for the first time and recording Randy playing with it. Anybody know if randy gave the MXR effects to the guy and he just hardwired them in? I heard it was like $1,500 to build it.

Yes that was at Clearwell Castle about 10 mins drive from here......£1100 pounds , yes i think he took the housing off and wired them in ....

Pete Mertons would know ......if hes still around......
According to What's the Cost, £1,100.00 in 1980 is equivalent to £3,407.71 in 2013. So, for that kind of money, the guy who made the pedal board for Randy wasn't very good, was he? From what I've seen, the housing was alright, nothing spectacular. The kicker being that the thing was nicknamed "the Chip Pan" because of all the noise it made. You'd think that for the money the guy could have soldered better...
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
mojopin70 wrote:

Yes that was at Clearwell Castle about 10 mins drive from here......£1100 pounds , yes i think he took the housing off and wired them in ....

Pete Mertons would know ......if hes still around......
According to What's the Cost, £1,100.00 in 1980 is equivalent to £3,407.71 in 2013. So, for that kind of money, the guy who made the pedal board for Randy wasn't very good, was he? From what I've seen, the housing was alright, nothing spectacular. The kicker being that the thing was nicknamed "the Chip Pan" because of all the noise it made. You'd think that for the money the guy could have soldered better...

True Paul £1100 pounds was very expensive back in 1980 i think people get confused with his Zeus practice Pedalboard as the being named the "chip pan"

It was actually his stage board the one weve all seen and Ozzy referred to all his pedals in the board as "chip pans" because of the noise that each one made...

Yes for that kind of money you wouldve thought so , noiseless etc I dont even think it had a noise gate built in either....
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

This is where the pedalboard was delivered to Clearwell Castle made by a guy in London called Pete Holmes and where Randy first tested it . Sabbath wrote most of the Sabbath Bloody Sabbath album here and Zeppelin did pre production in 1977 ....I live about 10 mins from here....
Attachments
images.jpg
(10.35 KiB) Not downloaded yet
1234983_567622299965867_941153733_n.jpg
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Love that picture, Randy the jock ;)
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Love that picture, Randy the jock ;)
I had an early 80s tracksuit like that it was blue! i think they were made by adidas ! Bob was wearing one in the recordings , i know he liked to jog when they were writing at the house in Monmouth and tried to get Randy to come one day with them but he didnt get very far because he smoked so much! ....Freddy Mercury used to jog down there too when Queen were about at the place....

fortress
Madman

Post by fortress »

CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:I'm reading this right now, and what strikes me is really how sympathetic in many parts Ozzy comes off. Really reinforces the idea that Sharon is the mind behind the operation, and the holder of the purse strings. Oz seems content to just be Oz, and you get the feeling that Bob genuinely liked/likes Oz despite all the nonsense that went down between them.

And yeah, FANTASTIC book. It's fascinating to read about Bob's rather storied career with other bands as well as Ozzy. This was well worth the wait, IMO. Great work.

I hate Sharon but i hate her more, the more i read the books.

Its just.... pathetic ..... she is a C****
fortress
Madman

Post by fortress »

CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:
mojopin70 wrote:
CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:I'm reading this right now, and what strikes me is really how sympathetic in many parts Ozzy comes off. Really reinforces the idea that Sharon is the mind behind the operation, and the holder of the purse strings. Oz seems content to just be Oz, and you get the feeling that Bob genuinely liked/likes Oz despite all the nonsense that went down between them.

And yeah, FANTASTIC book. It's fascinating to read about Bob's rather storied career with other bands as well as Ozzy. This was well worth the wait, IMO. Great work.

Sympathetic? what about the violent wife beating and violent attacks on band members oh and the drinking binges oh and the drug binges....yeah really sympathetic guy.
Perhaps I should clarify, as you overreacted to what I said here.

What I should say is that Ozzy comes off in many parts of the book as being "one of the guys", not like he's better than everyone else. It also seems like Ozzy was led around a bit by Sharon, just in how it's described by Bob. He mentions that Ozzy used to say something along the lines of, "me hand, me heart", which I'm guessing is an English saying? He seems like an average Joe in some spots, albeit one who gives in to his many vices often. Doesn't mean I agree with that, though. I think Ozzy, at different times in his life, has treated many of those around him terribly, when in fact he should be happy he has such great people around him, supporting him.

Now, let me be crystal clear: I DO NOT, and WOULD NOT condone violence against women, or anyone or anything else, for that matter. I didn't suggest that in anything I wrote there, did I? I think it's rather presumptuous of you to think that, but whatever.

I hope that helps to clarify what I meant here.

I agree with you. I did read a couple of Rock bio that had a little bit of ozzy info in each of them. Each time Sharon enter the picture, everything goes bad.

Ozzy changed for the worst with Sharon in his life.. I agree with the other poster who said ozzy was being trapped under Sharon cord
fortress
Madman

Post by fortress »

Also to learn that he punched Rhoads in the face for wanting out of the band is appalling the guy was trapped, controlled , manipulated , blackmailed and the proof is in the pudding as Tommy Aldridge said, They wont let you go alive....and that unfortunately was his way out.

So, the struggle in the plane was Randy commited suicide to escape that live in longer wished
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

fortress wrote:So, the struggle in the plane was Randy commited suicide to escape that live in longer wished
So not true... why even consider this?
Last edited by Paul Wolfe on Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fortress
Madman

Post by fortress »

hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

The pedal board probably wasn't grounded or shielded correctly. I assume these were his MXR pedals that were put inside? For some reason, I picture tracksuits in England a lot. We have them here but I think we don't match tops and bottoms as much. Keeping in mind that all I know about England, I learned from Monty Python, British Rock, Guy Richie movies and Simon Pegg movies.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

http://themetalden.com/?p=11398

While checking out another post I found an amp supposedly used by RR which had his name on the amp as well as Ariel Benders. In Bob's book he talks about a guitarist named Luther Grosvenor who played with Spooky Tooth and became Ariel Bender when he joined Mott the hoople. I guess one of Mick Ralph's last gigs with Mott involved him going down the road bending car antennas... Maybe, Bob had some connection with Randy using this amp? It could be a coincidence that Bob knew/played with him in Widowmaker.