Bobs book??

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

rokket
Madman

Re: Bobs book??

Post by rokket »

Geo Sav wrote:Just read an artical on the new Randy book coming out and it had an interesting story on how the crazy train name. Wondering if Bobs book will have the same story. Wondering how accurate the new book is.
How the name Crazy Train came about is no secret or news.......old story Bob has told many times...........
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

IMO Bob has proven his credibility over the years (even if some may not appreciate his perspective on certain issues) but some haven't demonstrated whether they're credible, some have shown questionable motives and some even arrogance. In terms of recording Blizzard and Diary- Bob was there writing and recording with Randy- postcards and telephone calls cannot compete with that. However, Randy probably confided in those back home a great deal more. I think it will be interesting to see what information coincides and what these "new" voices will lend to Randy's legacy.

I do find it interesting that Velocity has a book coming out on the Wrecking Crew and another on women's lib but from what I've seen of the price- Randy's book is much higher than their other selections.
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

They over price pretty much 99% of anything released on Randy cause there isn't a lot of anything out there. The cheapest poster you will find is gonna be 35-45$. The others are like 200-400 $. I don't want over saturate Randy but cause there is no supply and high demand we are being Screwed price wise.
JAY
Cool Member

Post by JAY »

I would question how "high" of a demand for Randy stuff there is ,you got us die hards on the forums but really how many people other than us give him a second thought. Several of my friends seen the blizzard tour -they are in their 50's now and Randy is not in their daily thoughts or budget. Bobs book will attract mainly Ozzy fans who will be the biggest buyers of the book, Randy die hards a few thousand maybe. Anyone know how many copies Rudys off the rails sold? Rudy is alot more well known too :wink:
Doesnt matter too me I'll buy just about anything RR related :lol:
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Between ozzy and Randy himself. I would say there is a decent enough demand. If not would sharon release the boxset? He helped record two of ozzys best selling albums. Are you kidden me. He isn't gonna do what justin beber or what ever his name is but you buying that bro? look at what Randy draws with the internet on different sites in different countrys. Not bad for being dead since 1982. Look at what a poster for a artist or band that has a lot of products on sale and look for Randy and let me know what the price difference is.
JAY
Cool Member

Post by JAY »

I believe RR stuff is priced high because fans from the day are now in their highest income range in their lives. When I was 13 $4000 for a RR Marshall or $2000-4000 for a tribute guitar or $200 bucks for box set /$100 for a book would be impossible- not a big deal for me at 40 :wink: Again how big of a seller was the box set or off the rails. Not trying to diminish Randys popularity -just being realistic IMHO.
meadsie

Post by meadsie »

"Again how big of a seller was the box set or off the rails. Not trying to diminish Randys popularity -just being realistic IMHO."

Well Said Jay :)
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

JAY wrote:I believe RR stuff is priced high because fans from the day are now in their highest income range in their lives.
...or it's because there ain't fewer potential buyers than for let's say, a Stephen King novel :fish:
alborg
Cool Member

Post by alborg »

The reality is that the longer time goes on fans get older & have other priorities in life. Sure there will always be 14 year olds discovering Randy's music & thank God for that. But, the chance to make some money with the grail audio will fade as many kids download their music for free. Right or wrong that is how things stand these days... The rarities should have started to be released 10 years ago for anyone to have stood to make some decent cash. By the time things could get sorted we will be too old or dead.
Last edited by alborg on Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

alborg wrote:The reality is that the longer time goes on fans get older & have other priorities in life. Sure there will always be 14 year olds discovering Randy's music & thank God for that. But, the chance to make some money with the grail audio will fade as many kids download their music for free. Right or wrong that is how things stand these days... The rarities should of started to be released 10 years ago for anyone to have stood to make some decent cash. By the time things could get sorted we will be too old or dead.
agree 100% ...... I am now in my 40's and the "new randy rhoads" stuff isn't "oh my god I must have it" ........... 15yrs ago I would have been all over the boxset, this book, the randy rhoads book....now it one of those things that if I end up getting them then cool but its not high on the list of things in my life
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

The reality is that the longer time goes on fans get older & have other priorities in life. Sure there will always be 14 year olds discovering Randy's music & thank God for that. But, the chance to make some money with the grail audio will fade as many kids download their music for free. Right or wrong that is how things stand these days... The rarities should of started to be released 10 years ago for anyone to have stood to make some decent cash. By the time things could get sorted we will be too old or dead.
Nailed it.
alborg
Cool Member

Post by alborg »

shred1 wrote:
The reality is that the longer time goes on fans get older & have other priorities in life. Sure there will always be 14 year olds discovering Randy's music & thank God for that. But, the chance to make some money with the grail audio will fade as many kids download their music for free. Right or wrong that is how things stand these days... The rarities should of started to be released 10 years ago for anyone to have stood to make some decent cash. By the time things could get sorted we will be too old or dead.
Nailed it.
Sadly the whole Daisley, Osbourne, Bros, Margolis documentary thing is like one big middle east situation that looks to be never ending & ultimately everyone looses out... Especially Randy's legacy & us fans. Greed & finger pointing always creates problems somewhere down the line regardless of peoples intentions.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

I've said it before(I think?) and I'll say it again ... Why don't we see this kinda drama with other deceased musical artists?
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

Stiltzkin wrote:I've said it before(I think?) and I'll say it again ... Why don't we see this kinda drama with other deceased musical artists?
Because things like likeness rights, who controls what gets released, etc. are clearly delineated in those cases. With anything Randy-related, it's sort of unclear about who owns/controls what. Then there's the whole issue of people's personal feelings about what gets released. Things always seem complex with anything Randy, and I suspect they probably will continue to be.

I also think that, as much as we are fans of Randy, he is not as much of a "brand" as some other musicians (ie. Hendrix), and he isn't as well known. I think this complicates things as well.

Just my thoughts. Your mileage may vary.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

It's true Randy isn't as known as Hendrix, not by a longshot :!: so comparing Randy with Hendrix wouldn't be the best example :shock: 8)

anyhoo, let's take another, semi-obscure guitarist up for Randy Rhoads comparison.

Does anybody here have a clue who Tommy Bolin is?