A Song

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Sepheratta
Cool Member

A Song

Post by Sepheratta »

Hmmm. I wasn't quite sure where to post this, so I decided here, because it is about Randy.

What song reminds you the most of Randy?

For me, it's Gary Wright's "Dreamweaver"

Oh, and does anyone know Randy's favorite song?.........or if he HAD a favorite song?
hansolo
Mass Poster

Re: A Song

Post by hansolo »

Ok, I'll bite. Bad Co's "Shooting Star", even though the lyrics are 180 degrees of how straight Randy was and his tragic fate. Obviously "Thunderbird" too. As I learned more about Randy's life and timeline, this song meant more to me than in '83. I really respected Kevin not for his on stage antics but for his love of Randy. Some might say it was for the money but working with a musician of Randy's talent, you know Kevin was showing Randy playing in QR off to the world. Like I said in a previous post, it showed that Ozzy didn't redefine Randy but Randy redefined Ozzy.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

hansolo wrote:you know Kevin was showing Randy playing in QR off to the world.
wish more people around him could be like that 8)
hansolo wrote:Like I said in a previous post, it showed that Ozzy didn't redefine Randy but Randy redefined Ozzy.
But on the other hand, Randy didn't exactly have the artistic/creative freedom in QR
as he had with Ozzy, so it's more likely they redifined eachother :)
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

So tired from Ozzy...

There are couple riffs on that song that sound exactly like Randy would do...Maybe it was something left over from the blizzard and diary sessions that Randy came up with and Bob remembered it.
Sepheratta
Cool Member

Post by Sepheratta »

hansolo wrote:Ok, I'll bite. Bad Co's "Shooting Star", even though the lyrics are 180 degrees of how straight Randy was and his tragic fate. Obviously "Thunderbird" too. As I learned more about Randy's life and timeline, this song meant more to me than in '83. I really respected Kevin not for his on stage antics but for his love of Randy. Some might say it was for the money but working with a musician of Randy's talent, you know Kevin was showing Randy playing in QR off to the world. Like I said in a previous post, it showed that Ozzy didn't redefine Randy but Randy redefined Ozzy.
Oh gosh, I almost cry everytime I hear "Shooting Star" because of that. The part where it goes "Johnny made a record, went straight up to number one. Suddenly everyone love to hear him sing his song. Watching the world go by, surprisin' it goes so fast. Johnny looked around him and said, Well, I made the big time at last." That part makes me burst into tears, not sure why.

"Thunderbird" reminds me of Randy too.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Shooting Star always reminds me of Hendrix, but also of a kid I knew in high school who died during his senior year, they played that at his memorial.

I think of Randy when I hear stuff like Mott the Hoople or Alice cooper or early Bowie... I recently got Lick Library's Bowie DVD to learn a few of the songs the Mick Ronson played, since Randy was such a big fan
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

Hmmm... any Ozzy song with Randy playing on it, lol, outside of the obvious I think of him when I hear the album Dark Side of the Moon- more notably On The Run reminds me of the very last moments up until the crash (if you hear the song, you'll agree) and Great Gig in the Sky reminds me of his friends and family grieving his death. It's horrifying and sad that his end came too soon- and so violently. I'm greatful that the evidence indicates that most likely no one suffered in that crash!
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
Sepheratta
Cool Member

Post by Sepheratta »

I've heard On The Run- Good song
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

Sepheratta wrote:Oh, and does anyone know Randy's favorite song?.........or if he HAD a favorite song?
I honestly can't remember, but I could have sworn that Randy's favorite song was "Chattanooga Choo Choo".

It makes sense to me, since he liked trains a lot.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

lol remember his sense of humor, right? I've seen it addessed as "send in the clowns" so yeah, uh- who else remembers a quote on Randy's favorite song?
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

Since Randy was heavily into classical guitar I chose Sunburst by Andrew York. Great title and fun composition. I don't remember such a long intro but from the 2:12 mark onward it is simply terrific. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2sE5a9D ... re=related
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
scooterh67

Post by scooterh67 »

I would say Bad Co. song "Shooting Star" also! But! for some reason I really want to combine the song "Jukebox Hero" by Foreigner WITH "Shooting Star". Mix up the lyrics and it possible could work? Maybe? Either way, when I hear both of these songs I always picture Randy or me outside that arena wall standing in the rain with my head against the wall listening to him play!

Scott