Blizzard opening for Ozzy

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Blizzard opening for Ozzy

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Okay, here's something I don't ever remember a discussion about. Before the Blizzard of Ozz came to the States on tour, they toured Europe opening for Saxon. Has there ever been any quotes from Graham Oliver or Paul Quinn regarding this time and their impression of Randy's playing?
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Re: Blizzard opening for Ozzy

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Paul this did happen and they only did a few gigs with Saxon and the normal Ozzy taking sick stopped the tour. Graham Oliver mentioned this in an interview and it was later put in the UK Sounds magazine with the sad news of Randy's death.

Graham Oliver, guitarist with Saxon who toured with Ozzy in Europe recently, paid the following tribute on hearing of the tragedy....
'Crazy Train' is one of the best rock standards ever written since 'Smoke on the Water' and it's a great shame he will never write any more.
"Randy was one of the nicest and most modest musicians i have ever had the pleasure to jam with and it's a tragedy that he has died just when this band were at the height of their career, cutting him off in his prime".
stress2stress2
Cool Member

Post by stress2stress2 »

From Blabbermouth:

"Speaking to SouthYorkshireTimes.co.uk, Graham said about the upcoming book, "It promises to be a who's who of the metal scene of the late '70s/early 80s. It's taking a lot of writing and getting quotes off people — like Lemmy from MOTÖRHEAD and Ozzy Osbourne."

He added, "My biggest memory of the Hollywood gig we played with METALLICA was that Ozzy Osbourne was in our dressing room. It was just after his 'Blizzard of Ozz' guitarist Randy Rhoads had died and he was inconsolable. We were trying to give him some support, but you just felt helpless and we had to psych ourselves up to go onstage for what was one of our biggest U.S. gigs at the time. I remember spending all night in our dressing room with Ozzy and Sharon when he supported SAXON on one of our European tours and Randy borrowed my Gibson Flying V guitar for his performance. We had jammed together for hours earlier playing Jimi Hendrix stuff. I'll never part with that guitar."

Borrowed for his performance? WTF?

"
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

It wouldn't surprise me if he did use the V he mentioned. Remember his PDV was a bad guitar for keeping in tune. Plus he did loan guitars from all different sources for recording ect. He lent one of John Thomas's black LP's during the 1980 Blizzard tour for the drop down tuning. I think this was only used in case he snapped a string in an emergency. Plus we have not seen pics from all the gigs he played. Remember the Dean V guitar he played with DuBrow. If it wasn't for eyewitness reports and photos we'd know very little about his guitars. The 12 string firebird that we seen in pics from the Ridge farm recordings ? We knew nothing about it ?. That turned out to be used on the Blizzard & DOAM albums.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it... I'd love to have heard Graham and Randy jamming on Hendrix stuff.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Isn't weird that there is a Dean ad with Randy from '80 (QR) out there. I suppose he used Dean guitars for a sec.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Interesting stuff! Thanks for that.
Gus
Cool Member

Post by Gus »

Graham Oliver told Bravewords about Randy that "He spent more time in his dressing room playing guitar than any other guitarist I have ever known." He also mentioned that RR spent a lot of time working on his hair and really cared about his appearance.
Sepheratta
Cool Member

Post by Sepheratta »

Gus wrote:Graham Oliver told Bravewords about Randy that "He spent more time in his dressing room playing guitar than any other guitarist I have ever known." He also mentioned that RR spent a lot of time working on his hair and really cared about his appearance.
Yeah I noticed that too. He always has his hair absolutely perfect.
stress2stress2
Cool Member

Post by stress2stress2 »

Skinny dude.
Attachments
randy20.jpg
(18.86 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Randy%20Rudy%20photo.jpg
randy20.jpg
(18.86 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by stress2stress2 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sepheratta
Cool Member

Post by Sepheratta »

stress2stress2 wrote:Skinny dude.
Hahaha! That's funny. :P
mauk 1

Post by mauk 1 »

ImageImage
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

OKay, maybe I'm just a bit thick, what does that link have to do with Saxon?
Sepheratta
Cool Member

Post by Sepheratta »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
OKay, maybe I'm just a bit thick, what does that link have to do with Saxon?
I was gonna ask the same thing................