So Sad...

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

No1UNo
Cool Member

So Sad...

Post by No1UNo »

That our favorite guitarist and all that is connected to his work and legacy is tied up in all these personal agendas, vendettas people have against each other, how much money can be made, and everyone being lawyered up. Like I've stated before, all of the above will only serve to KILL the legacy of Randy Rhoads - who will end up an obscure footnote in rock and roll history while all of this continues well into the future. We here and at tk are a very small niche market for RR that shrinks every day as people tire of all the drama and as Randy's visibility and influence shrink with the kids and potential new audiences he could be introduced to.

So, a very sarcastic thank you to all connected to decisions around his legacy that continue to kill it - especially those that have difficulty doing the "right thing"; being mature and a big enough person to put something out there that would enhance his legacy and get folks talking about him again without selfishly "getting yours". Ironically, you're also killing your own future pay days because we're all getting sick of it, the kids will be like, "Randy who?", and no one will be interested in paying exhorbitant prices for pieces of relics that are growing increasingly irrelevant to most music fans. Folks will know who Hendrix and Van Halen are longer into the future than one Randall William Rhoads. Again, so sad.
rokket
Madman

Re: So Sad...

Post by rokket »

No1UNo wrote:That our favorite guitarist and all that is connected to his work and legacy is tied up in all these personal agendas, vendettas people have against each other, how much money can be made, and everyone being lawyered up. Like I've stated before, all of the above will only serve to KILL the legacy of Randy Rhoads - who will end up an obscure footnote in rock and roll history while all of this continues well into the future. We here and at tk are a very small niche market for RR that shrinks every day as people tire of all the drama and as Randy's visibility and influence shrink with the kids and potential new audiences he could be introduced to.

So, a very sarcastic thank you to all connected to decisions around his legacy that continue to kill it - especially those that have difficulty doing the "right thing"; being mature and a big enough person to put something out there that would enhance his legacy and get folks talking about him again without selfishly "getting yours". Ironically, you're also killing your own future pay days because we're all getting sick of it, the kids will be like, "Randy who?", and no one will be interested in paying exhorbitant prices for pieces of relics that are growing increasingly irrelevant to most music fans. Folks will know who Hendrix and Van Halen are longer into the future than one Randall William Rhoads. Again, so sad.
Randy will never just be a "foot note" in music history, I don't believe that for a second. Young guitarists are discovering Randy Rhoads all the time, and like the older muso's, once discovered, he's never forgotten.

No matter what books are written, or who does or doesn't do the "right thing", regardless of any of it, Randy is etched into history as one of the greats. No one is "killing" his legacy, Randy is far and above anyone or anything ever being able to do that. He'll still be remembered when we are all long gone and forgotten.
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

rokket wrote: Randy will never just be a "foot note" in music history, I don't believe that for a second. Young guitarists are discovering Randy Rhoads all the time, and like the older muso's, once discovered, he's never forgotten.

No matter what books are written, or who does or doesn't do the "right thing", regardless of any of it, Randy is etched into history as one of the greats. No one is "killing" his legacy, Randy is far and above anyone or anything ever being able to do that. He'll still be remembered when we are all long gone and forgotten.
Agreed!!!

He Made is mark in the short time he was here. Randy is still a Cover Boy for GuitarWorld and all the other mags that go with it. The Jackson Rhoads guitar line is one of the most popular in the industry. Also Crazy Train has become an anthem!!! Try an watch a football game in the United States and not here it, It's everywhere. Not to mention the longer Ozzy is around and the more he accomplishes Blizzard and Diary will alwats be remembered as the highlight of his career.

Randy will be fine...

If you haven't lost it in 30 years... you aren't going to.
Live Life Stronger Than Death
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

I hope you are right!

Considering the albums he played on with Ozzy (BOO, DOAM and Tribute) add up to over 10 million copies in sales in the USA alone, his songs are anthems (as mentioned) and his signature guitar is the flagship model at Jackson, I do believe interest is on the decline.

Less than 100,000 followers on Facebook, several websites/forums that have perished trying to serve his legacy.

Why? Nothing new for the fans - the Palladium footage doesn't count as we have seen that before.

I hope he is remembered for his guitar playing, not his guitar - like Les Paul.

30 years later, and really, us fans have f*** all to talk about.....

Like anything, feed it or it will die.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I believe Randy Rhoads will be a footnote in music history. As the history of rock 'n' roll is written his claim to fame is being on Ozzy's first two records. Ozzy will be remembered, Randy will be a footnote - he already is. Ever notice that every article written about Randy has to point out that he died in March of '82 in a plane crash? What does being dead have to do with his accomplishments? Yet it seems that outside of the guitar playing world he'll be a side note.

Within the guitar playing subculture, he will continue to be an influence for years to come, but not as big an influence as folks here would like him to be. There is a new breed of guitar players in the younger bands who are influencing the new generation of up and comers.

A LOT of these kids don't know the name of Randy Rhoads. It's unfortunate, but not enough material has been released to continue his influence. We need more than footage. We need music books and videos (that are heavily promoted) about his guitar playing style. We need affordable replicas of his guitars - and not the less expensive Jacks RR models either, because Randy rarely played that guitar. We need a replica of the PDV that is 'Official' and reasonable - $800 at the most - so kids can play the guitar that made him famous.
dinomite
Cool Member

Post by dinomite »

No1UNo wrote:So, a very sarcastic thank you to all connected to decisions around his legacy that continue to kill it - especially those that have difficulty doing the "right thing"; being mature and a big enough person to put something out there that would enhance his legacy and get folks talking about him again without selfishly "getting yours".
Couldn't agree more with you on that one. Hard to imagine that this is all coming from fully grown adults, who say they all love and respect Randy, who say he was one of the nicest, friendliest and respectful person they ever met. But when there is a buck to be made people seem to conveniently forget that respect.

I've always imagined what Randy would think of all this fighting and carrying on. IMO he'd probably laugh, but I reckon he's more be embarrassed of all these people he once called his friends and family are arguing over him. But you know, this is the music industry, full of ego's and people who think that they are better than one another.
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

shred1 wrote:I hope you are right!

Considering the albums he played on with Ozzy (BOO, DOAM and Tribute) add up to over 10 million copies in sales in the USA alone, his songs are anthems (as mentioned) and his signature guitar is the flagship model at Jackson, I do believe interest is on the decline.

Less than 100,000 followers on Facebook, several websites/forums that have perished trying to serve his legacy.

Why? Nothing new for the fans - the Palladium footage doesn't count as we have seen that before.

I hope he is remembered for his guitar playing, not his guitar - like Les Paul.

30 years later, and really, us fans have f*** all to talk about.....

Like anything, feed it or it will die.

Not everyone who is a fan of Randy shows their interest by joining a facebook group or a web site forum. I know a lot of people, some musicians, some not, that have nothing to do with an internet forum or group, but absolutely love Randy, his playing, etc and buy magazines, have posters and other types of collectables.

Nothing new for the fans??? True, wouldn't it be great if the Osbourne's would have let Bob, Lee and Don tell their story about their time with Randy Rhoads, that would have been something different, rather than the same old stories we get time and time again from Ozzy and Sharon......funny how she gives her recollections about the recording of the first album....she wasn't even present when that happened!!!
Last edited by rokket on Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

dinomite wrote:
No1UNo wrote:So, a very sarcastic thank you to all connected to decisions around his legacy that continue to kill it - especially those that have difficulty doing the "right thing"; being mature and a big enough person to put something out there that would enhance his legacy and get folks talking about him again without selfishly "getting yours".
Couldn't agree more with you on that one. Hard to imagine that this is all coming from fully grown adults, who say they all love and respect Randy, who say he was one of the nicest, friendliest and respectful person they ever met. But when there is a buck to be made people seem to conveniently forget that respect.

I've always imagined what Randy would think of all this fighting and carrying on. IMO he'd probably laugh, but I reckon he's more be embarrassed of all these people he once called his friends and family are arguing over him. But you know, this is the music industry, full of ego's and people who think that they are better than one another.
If Randy were still here chances are he wouldn't be laughing at the fighting and carrying on, cause it wouldn't be happening I don't think. Maybe there'd be a forum taking shots at him for leaving Ozzy instead, cause thats where he was heading, straight out of the Osbourne's door.
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

rokket, I don't need to hear anymore stories....
I have been following this 'debacle' since the spring of 1981.
30 years...

No more STORIES. Music or quality footage - please.

And further to your comment, Sharon was NOT on the scene when Bob made a deal with Don Arden and Jet, either. FACT.

As to him leaving. This is true. But, the course of Ozzy's post RR career would be NO different if Randy was alive today - they would have found a replacement and carried on. In fact, that is exactly what they did.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

No1UNo wrote:That our favorite guitarist and all that is connected to his work and legacy is tied up in all these personal agendas, vendettas people have against each other, how much money can be made, and everyone being lawyered up. Like I've stated before, all of the above will only serve to KILL the legacy of Randy Rhoads - who will end up an obscure footnote in rock and roll history while all of this continues well into the future. We here and at tk are a very small niche market for RR that shrinks every day as people tire of all the drama and as Randy's visibility and influence shrink with the kids and potential new audiences he could be introduced to.

I agree totally.....already after less than a dozen posts certain band member and manager has been mentioned which will most likely turn this thread into just another one like the dozens that we already have.

I find myself coming here less and less for that reason. While there isn't a lot to talk about regarding RR anymore I have no interest in all the negative stuff this is around now.....so I won't be around here much at all anymore
dinomite
Cool Member

Post by dinomite »

rokket wrote:If Randy were still here chances are he wouldn't be laughing at the fighting and carrying on, cause it wouldn't be happening I don't think. Maybe there'd be a forum taking shots at him for leaving Ozzy instead, cause thats where he was heading, straight out of the Osbourne's door.
No, I meant if like he magically returned and found out what had been going on in the past 30 years. I just wonder what he would make of all the fighting.
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

shred1 wrote:rokket, I don't need to hear anymore stories....
I have been following this 'debacle' since the spring of 1981.
30 years...

No more STORIES. Music or quality footage - please.

And further to your comment, Sharon was NOT on the scene when Bob made a deal with Don Arden and Jet, either. FACT.

As to him leaving. This is true. But, the course of Ozzy's post RR career would be NO different if Randy was alive today - they would have found a replacement and carried on. In fact, that is exactly what they did.
If I had music or footage it'd be here, but I don't. What I do want if for the people we never hear from to start to tell their stories. That, at least gives us something else to talk about in terms of RR. Unless of course, we'll tell them their full of it as well because we don't like what they've got to say or we disagree with it. Which is probably all that will happen anyway.
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

sytharnia wrote:

I agree totally.....already after less than a dozen posts certain band member and manager has been mentioned which will most likely turn this thread into just another one like the dozens that we already have.

I find myself coming here less and less for that reason. While there isn't a lot to talk about regarding RR anymore I have no interest in all the negative stuff this is around now.....so I won't be around here much at all anymore
With regard to Randy, I wish there was a lot more to talk about, but sadly there isn't. Some people would prefer we don't talk about Bob and Lee, in regards to Ozzy, Sharon and Randy, but I see that changing when a certain book comes out, and possibly some audio in the future. It'll be like moths to a flame.
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

I, for one, will be thrilled when this freaking book comes out, cuz after that, Bob Daisley has no bullets in his belt.

That is it. Nothing left to 'hold over' the Osbournes, and the rabid fans either.

Bob seems to think the Osbournes are somehow worried about his tell-all....

They are not. What will change? Will he get a big cheque? No. Will the earth shift on its axis? No. Will anyone, but the likes of us, plus the 3600 followers for Bob on FB really care? Meh. It will be a good read, but that is all.

I predict sales in the 10,000 range.
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

shred1 wrote:I, for one, will be thrilled when this freaking book comes out, cuz after that, Bob Daisley has no bullets in his belt.

That is it. Nothing left to 'hold over' the Osbournes, and the rabid fans either.

Bob seems to think the Osbournes are somehow worried about his tell-all....

They are not. What will change? Will he get a big cheque? No. Will the earth shift on its axis? No. Will anyone, but the likes of us, plus the 3600 followers for Bob on FB really care? Meh. It will be a good read, but that is all.

I predict sales in the 10,000 range.
It's bizzare that you should say "hold over" the Osbourne's. It makes it sound like he is doing/done wrong by them, when in actual fact it's the reverse, maybe thats not how you meant it, I don't know.

I don't think Sharon is looking forward to Bob's book coming out at all, not that I would expect her to say that, anything she say's would basically be publicity for Bob. By her and Ozzy's own actions it shows they want as few people as possible to know anything different to what they have been feeding us for years.

Us, the 3600 followers on Bob's page, a lot of other Randy/Ozzy fans that aren't here or on Bob's FB page, and fans of all the other bands/musicians featured in the book will be the readers I imagine. Which could see sales a little bigger than what you've predicted, but time will tell.