2 yellow les Pauls?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

tpriest13

2 yellow les Pauls?

Post by tpriest13 »

I was watching the laughing gas video and he uses a les Paul for that and in the background there was another one. how many did he have? can't believe I never saw that before
Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Re: 2 yellow les Pauls?

Post by Axeman1956 »

I heard this from someone before, but 1. I Believe it was white???, and 2. It was one of Randy's students guitar??.. That's what I've heard. I Don't know if he used two. I think we would've known that. being the crazy fans we are :D
tpriest13

Post by tpriest13 »

that's what I thought. I just noticed it in the background but the main thing is the aged les Paul for sale has a gold ring where it says treble and rhythm and the one he was using in laughing gas had a black ring. or maybe it was in another video but I know I saw one with the black ring and that threw up a flag right there lol
bladeghost

Post by bladeghost »

To me I had thought they were cream colored off-white, but hey I'm sure randy had many guitars nobody has seen.
as for les-pauls anyone that has played one knows they are heavy in weight and really take a toll on your shoulder.

Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Post by Axeman1956 »

bladeghost wrote:To me I had thought they were cream colored off-white, but hey I'm sure randy had many guitars nobody has seen.
as for les-pauls anyone that has played one knows they are heavy in weight and really take a toll on your shoulder.

The Les Paul wasn't the only guitar Randy had problems with. He had alot of problems with the Concorde V because the fretboard went too far up the body, so it was impossible to play anything complicated up there... It also wighed a ton....
bladeghost

Post by bladeghost »

......................Concorde V............................

check out the gallery at this link:
http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/I ... 1&#gallery

It doesn't look heavy but,then again I've never played one to find out.
I do see what you mean about the neck extending in the body of the upper area.
its a nice shape but may not be as practical as it could've been .
roballyn

Post by roballyn »

been awhile since i've been on here. Kelli Garni cleared me up on the same question about the 2nd white L.P. Randy owned only the one we're so used to seeing. He emailed me stating that #2 most likely belonged to a student. I now work for Gibson Guitars, and plan on getting every bit of info on Randy's Les Paul that's available and sharing it here with the rest of my fellow Randy freaks.
Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Post by Axeman1956 »

bladeghost wrote:......................Concorde V............................

check out the gallery at this link:
http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/I ... 1&#gallery

It doesn't look heavy but,then again I've never played one to find out.
I do see what you mean about the neck extending in the body of the upper area.
its a nice shape but may not be as practical as it could've been .
Dont forget, the Concorde may be light to us but Randy was tiny and the thing looked huge when he played it. It probably did a ton on his back lol
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

Axeman1956 wrote:
Dont forget, the Concorde may be light to us but Randy was tiny and the thing looked huge when he played it. It probably did a ton on his back lol
I have read contradicting articles in premier guitar....the link in this threads say's it was heavy, but the issue where they looked at both the white and black jacksons said it was lighter than the studded strap...so who know :roll:
bladeghost

Post by bladeghost »

I have a les-paul copy and put it on the scale and it weighs in at about (ten) 10lbs, if you have a barbell set with a 10lb weight carry that around and that should give you an idea of what its like. never mind what a doubleneck guitar weighs... :shock:

edit:
looking around about solutions for heavy guitars, some say a wide strap helps, and or the DARE strap for even distrubution of weight,
link:

http://www.darestrap.com/guitar.html

in any case playing a les paul guitar is definatly a work out.
Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Post by Axeman1956 »

bladeghost wrote:I have a les-paul copy and put it on the scale and it weighs in at about (ten) 10lbs, if you have a barbell set with a 10lb weight carry that around and that should give you an idea of what its like. never mind what a doubleneck guitar weighs... :shock:

edit:
looking around about solutions for heavy guitars, some say a wide strap helps, and or the DARE strap for even distrubution of weight,
link:

http://www.darestrap.com/guitar.html

in any case playing a les paul guitar is definatly a work out.
Thats why Randy had massive straps... It really does help with the back
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

I've held the Jackson exact remake of the concorde and it wasn't overly light
Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Post by Axeman1956 »

As I said, you have to realize that Randy was very small. If you have a 10 pound guitar that you have to use for 9 of your 11-12 songs, it will bother you alot. I have a LP custom and I'm much taller and larger than Randy was and the LP still annoys the s*** out of my back after using it for 10-15 minutes. I got a pretty massive strap too. It helps, but doesn't do much.

As for the Jackson Concorde Relic, supposedly is was heavy too. Looks bulky anyways.

The second Jackson wasn't like the first one. It resembled the modern Jacksons they make today . I have no idea if it was heavy or not.