Ozzy live

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

adam_777

Ozzy live

Post by adam_777 »

Has anyone figured out which shows these recordings have come from? I really like thus album and the sound quality is fantastic and I find it intriguing that most of this comes from shows we know nothing about. I know footage is all the rage, but just the concept that more live shows could potentially be released in the future is exciting to me, randy does little things different every night that are so refreshing to ears used to hearing the same version from tribute if the couple good quality boots.
xk319

Re: Ozzy live

Post by xk319 »

Curious about this too. Can't remember if there was a thread on this when it was released.
Donnie
Cool Member

Post by Donnie »

Rudy said in his book on 8-28-81 they rerecorded there live broadcast at circle theater indianapolis. I think most of the show is from that show, minus mr crowley intro and suicide solo from southampton and flying high from montreal and of course the resung vocals. Rudys states it was a rushed show so they could see the jackson 5 that night and suicide shows evidence that it was rushed. Also ozzy says in the sabbath segment "what do you guys upstairs want to hear?" and i checked circle theater had 2 floors. So thats my best educated guess....

Rudys book page 121-122
1756 Mozart~1956 Rhoads~2156 ??????
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Donnie, you are still head and shoulders above the rest of us when it comes to RR knowledge and research. It's good to see you back here.
Donnie
Cool Member

Post by Donnie »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Donnie, you are still head and shoulders above the rest of us when it comes to RR knowledge and research. It's good to see you back here.
Thanks for your kind words but really if Rudy had not had that quote in his book, we really wouldn't have any idea what show it was(even though mines a guess at best)...The real question is was the tape dated and they wanted to punish us for seeing through tribute's unkown location claim or was it accidently not marked?
adam_777

Post by adam_777 »

At one point I remember reading that people thought this was a real hatchet job of several shows. Because it doesn't flow well together. Good research on the balcony, but wouldn't most of these venues have had an upstairs? I've leaned towards it being from Indy too because of Rudy's claim, but it just seems odd that they wouldn't label it as such. I seem to remember several people saying FHA was from Montreal? Is that something still believed?
adam_777

Post by adam_777 »

At one point I remember reading that people thought this was a real hatchet job of several shows. Because it doesn't flow well together. Good research on the balcony, but wouldn't most of these venues have had an upstairs? I've leaned towards it being from Indy too because of Rudy's claim, but it just seems odd that they wouldn't label it as such. I seem to remember several people saying FHA was from Montreal? Is that something still believed?
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

Donnie wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:Donnie, you are still head and shoulders above the rest of us when it comes to RR knowledge and research. It's good to see you back here.
Thanks for your kind words but really if Rudy had not had that quote in his book, we really wouldn't have any idea what show it was(even though mines a guess at best)...The real question is was the tape dated and they wanted to punish us for seeing through tribute's unkown location claim or was it accidently not marked?

Donnie just a question mate , have you published or written any books?
Last edited by mojopin70 on Thu May 29, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

It appears to have at least 3 shows in it. So that claim is not that far off. The spot light solo was only played the way it was on the UK tour. And Mr Crowley intro was also only played the way it was on the UK tour too. FHA is confirmed to be from the King Biscuit Flower Hour as there was recordings of it before this show came out and they are the same, the same fills the same vocals at the same spots.
Donnie
Cool Member

Post by Donnie »

mojopin70 wrote:
Donnie wrote:

Donnie just a question mate , have you published or written any books?
No i haven't.
Donnie
Cool Member

Post by Donnie »

I wonder what the original version of Flying High sounded like, somebody must have made an unfixable error. Wish they would have used a cleaned up version of the Montreal version of I Dont Know...Randy really tore that one up on the Montreal version. Highlight of the whole show is finally getting to listen to the suicide solo from the Mr.Crowley ep 30 something years later. Still gratefull we got anything though. :P There seems to be no more new live material available anymore outside of what the big names are holding onto.
LongRhoadsAhead
Cool Member

Post by LongRhoadsAhead »

Suicide solution doesn't sound like it's from the Southampton show... The intros are different. Could be wrong. Do we know for sure it's the Southampton show?
I went ahead and rode the white horse
Donnie
Cool Member

Post by Donnie »

LongRhoadsAhead wrote:Suicide solution doesn't sound like it's from the Southampton show... The intros are different. Could be wrong. Do we know for sure it's the Southampton show?
its not only the guitar solo is from southampton..ofcourse it could be a different show but its definately from the 1980 uk tour.
LongRhoadsAhead
Cool Member

Post by LongRhoadsAhead »

Donnie wrote:
LongRhoadsAhead wrote:Suicide solution doesn't sound like it's from the Southampton show... The intros are different. Could be wrong. Do we know for sure it's the Southampton show?
its not only the guitar solo is from southampton..ofcourse it could be a different show but its definately from the 1980 uk tour.
Oh ok. Yeah that makes sense that it'd be southampton then. if it wasn't then that means audio of another show exists? I thought they only recorded southampton?
I went ahead and rode the white horse
windingrhoads

Post by windingrhoads »

In really listening to this new show back to back with the Montreal 81 show, it's very obvious that all bed tracks are from Montreal. There may be slight talking or phrases that are edited out, or edited in for that matter, but most of the stuff comes from Montreal. I went song by song and so much matches up to the audio I have for Montreal. The drums all come from Montreal, and I think what threw me off before was the fact that the tape that is out for the Montreal show has a lot of the kick drum missing. So when hearing the official Ozzy live it sounded like there were spots where the kick drum was edited in. When you really listen to the Montreal show you can tell that the same kick drum pattern is there, but very very low in the mix. This is especially obvious on Revelation Mother Earth. They obviously used elements from other shows, like Southhampton, to throw off fans and to not make it 100% obvious that the Montreal show was used. That may have something to do with rights or royalties they would have to pay, I'm not sure. I never really took the time to compare the two shows before, but giving it a go today, it's obvious where a majority of the tracks came from. Another example if the beginning of Revelation, the beginning of the introduction comes from Montreal, but they shortened it and removed the part of it being off the new album, they took that out on the official release, but the beginning and end of his sentence comes from what he said in Montreal. Why would they do that? Why go to that much trouble to take out a middle section of what he said to the audience?