Best guitarists book COMPLETLEY EXCLUDES RANDY RHOADS!!!!!

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

fraroc

Best guitarists book COMPLETLEY EXCLUDES RANDY RHOADS!!!!!

Post by fraroc »

Ok, I am ready to punch something.

One day, In Barnes and Noble, I came across this "encyclopedia" of best guitarists in rock n' roll history. It had Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Eddie Van Halen, Paul Stanley, Ace Frehley, Tony Iommi, Richie Blackmore, Kerry Livgren, Slash, Doug Aldrich,Yngwie Malmsteen, Zakk Wylde, Buckethead.....I flipped through the book and what struck me as odd, is "Where the HELL is Randy Rhoads?" There was an "Other guitarists" index that just had lists of names, I looked in the R's...fucking NOTHING. Randy Rhoads was COMPLETLEY left out of the book!!!!

I'm sorry but that is MONUMENTALLY disrespectful to not only Randy's memory, but to the entire Rhoads family, his friends, and to guitarists that were inspired by Randy like Zakk Wylde!! That just PISSES me the fuck off that they didn't even CONSIDER adding Randy to the list!!!!

Now, Don't get me wrong, I am a DIE HARD Van Halen fan, and I'm very happy that Eddie got a massive section of the book, but it is from the lowest places in the world not to include the Late, great Randall William Rhoads.

That's all.
SLAGER
Cool Member

Re: Best guitarists book COMPLETLEY EXCLUDES RANDY RHOADS!!!

Post by SLAGER »

probably the same type of idiots who run the "Hall of Fame". they are clueless imbeciles.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

These types of books are very subjective, and usually have a bias of some kind. Meaning, if the author isn't a Randy fan, he might not make the cut for the book, or someone else is ranked higher. Unless these rankings have some sort of criteria as to how they arrived at the rankings, and they use the criteria for everyone listed, it's not valid. Most of these rankings boil down to opinion anyhow.
dinomite
Cool Member

Post by dinomite »

Valid points. The only reason these types of books sell is because the people who buy them want to read about those people, the people they already know.

I think Randy's Legacy speaks for itself. You only have to look at the great guitarists who came out from the period of 1980 onwards to see which people cite him as an influence. IMO these are the people that matter, the people who actually play the instrument and understand the skill that went into his music. Not these music "critics". At the end of the day it ALL comes down to personal preference.

Randy may not be "mainstream", to so many people he was just one of Ozzy's guitarists. But I don't think there are many Metal guitarists out there who haven't heard of him, and you can bet your ass that most of those who have see him as one of their main influences, not in picking up the guitar, but taking the guitar seriously.

Hop Out.
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
AceVader
Cool Member

Post by AceVader »

Alex wrote:
dinomite wrote:But I don't think there are many Metal guitarists out there who haven't heard of him, and you can bet your ass that most of those who have see him as one of their main influences, not in picking up the guitar, but taking the guitar seriously.
Not over here in Europe. Virtually unknown (as a player) amongst most people.
fraroc wrote:I'm sorry but that is MONUMENTALLY disrespectful to not only Randy's memory, but to the entire Rhoads family, his friends, and to guitarists that were inspired by Randy like Zakk Wylde!! That just PISSES me the fuck off that they didn't even CONSIDER adding Randy to the list!!!!
I think you are taking this whole thing a bit too serious.
I agree with him. Without Rhoads, rock/metal guitar wouldnt be what it is. He influenced a generation of players. His speed, timing, classical overtones, multi-tracking, sense of melody, and solo structures brought virtuosity to a whole new level. Take Randy out of history, and Vai, Satriani, Wylde, Malmsteen and a whole ton of others can be counted out as well. The fact is they wouldnt be playing what they do if Randy hadnt brought what he did. To not include him is just plain silliness, and yes, to me as a fan, insulting.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

AceVader wrote:Take Randy out of history, and Vai, Satriani, Wylde, Malmsteen and a whole ton of others can be counted out as well. The fact is they wouldnt be playing what they do if Randy hadnt brought what he did. To not include him is just plain silliness, and yes, to me as a fan, insulting.
but Vai was ripping away with Zappa before Randy passed, so you can hardly count him out.
Satriani was teaching Vai before this, so he had his own thing before Randy got together with Ozzy.
Malmsteens classical influence comes from Blackmore, Paganini, Bach. Not Randy Rhoads.

Furthermore. Randy was not the first guy to bring in classical influences to rockguitar.
Ritchie Blackmore and Uli Roth was way ahead of him in that department.
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
dinomite
Cool Member

Post by dinomite »

Alex wrote:
dinomite wrote:But I don't think there are many Metal guitarists out there who haven't heard of him, and you can bet your ass that most of those who have see him as one of their main influences, not in picking up the guitar, but taking the guitar seriously.
Not over here in Europe. Virtually unknown (as a player) amongst most people.
Hence why with the exception of the UK, there are no decent metal guitarists which come from the continent of Europe.
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Isodee
Cool Member

Post by Isodee »

dinomite wrote:Hence why with the exception of the UK, there are no decent metal guitarists which come from the continent of Europe.
What about Alexi Laiho & Gus G.?

They are pretty big names and influenced by RR.
SLAGER
Cool Member

Post by SLAGER »

Alex, are you really here arguing that Randy does not deserve recognition as one of the world's greatest guitarists? If so, then you may want to consider finding a different forum to visit. Most (if not ALL) of us here are absolutely certain of Randy's overwhelmingly profound greatness.

Did I read your posts incorrectly? Sorry if I did, but if not then please realize what Randy accomplished with just two albums that showed amazing musicianship way ahead of other guitar players at that time.
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

SLAGER wrote:Alex, are you really here arguing that Randy does not deserve recognition as one of the world's greatest guitarists? If so, then you may want to consider finding a different forum to visit. Most (if not ALL) of us here are absolutely certain of Randy's overwhelmingly profound greatness.

Did I read your posts incorrectly? Sorry if I did, but if not then please realize what Randy accomplished with just two albums that showed amazing musicianship way ahead of other guitar players at that time.
Where did he even mention that?

All I've seen him say is that he wasn't as big in Europe, and that people shouldn't take these "best guitarist" things too seriously.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Alex wrote:
dinomite wrote:Hence why with the exception of the UK, there are no decent metal guitarists which come from the continent of Europe.
That is just not true. One contemporary player who came to my mind is Michael Amott. And if you listen to him, it's not Randy you hear - it's the likes of Gary Moore and Uli Jon Roth.

Intermezzo Liberte
Mantra
Snowbound

And to quote Amott himself (re: when Gary Moore passed away), "As a guitar player, he had a huge influence on the European scene, and certainly on myself. America had Randy Rhoads and Eddie Van Halen; we had Gary Moore and Michael Schenker."

Blabbermouth
When was the last GOOD European heavy group to come out?