Randy's rhythm parts

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Randy's rhythm parts

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Okay, so I see loads of comments about Randy's leads, so I thought I'd ask, which song has Randy's best rhythm guitar work?
AndrewT1976
Madman

Re: Randy's rhythm parts

Post by AndrewT1976 »

I think Children of the Grave from Tribute is pretty much the jizznit when it comes to Randy as a rhythm player!
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

AndrewT1976 wrote:I think Children of the Grave from Tribute is pretty much the jizznit when it comes to Randy as a rhythm player!
is that even qualified? i mean, it's not a Randy tune 8)
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Over the mountain is the Tour de force heavy Randy tune. I slowed down or played my 45 at 33 1/2 and it's so tight! Clean or otherwise, but they all are great. Enough! By the way what's with the chic questions like; What's the best Randy solo, best song or rhythm? Is this the "RANDY RHOADS" guy from the facebook site who cuts and pastes old posts from here. If it is, dude, do your own research and or original discussions. I like the some things on the sites (good job) like - On this day... But, I am so bored with people who cut and paste while pretending it is their own. For Randy and remember less is more.
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

The thing about Randy's playing I really like is, aside of the obvious main riff of each song, the rhythm parts during verses and bridges are very tight and the bridges are sometimes so layered you wouldn't even know.. Its like one giant puzzle that fits perfectly.

The master tracks are great to hear how good his riffing/rhythm playing really was. Rhythm parts I really like are Believer (during verses, that low E makes me want to jam along), Over the Mountain (listen to the master track, the accents on the notes are so tight), the layered parts of Diary of a madman, I don't know.. If you haven't listened to these master tracks, the ones released are out there for download (or PM me, but I dont got all of them).. They are so worth it, you will hear things you never heard before.

The fills... I've never heard a fill I didn't like on the album. And the best part is, that once you discover the live tracks, the fills are totally different and they are all over the place. You could say a song is finished when it is put on the album. But in Randy's case, the song on the album is only the beginning.. Live all hell breaks loose!

The solos..
Like Zakk Wylde said, each RR solo is a composition within a song. Have a listen at S.A.T.O.
These things make my head explode. Every time I hear some Randy stuff, its like... Why haven't I come up with this? This is so great?

I'm a guitar player myself, and when I listen to tracks of Iron Maiden, Metallica.. I don't hear this stuff. I got Metallica/Maiden albums, I've seen them live. They bring out good stuff, but this multilayered, complex stuff? Ok, apples & oranges (dinosaurs), but hey... RR to me was a freaking genious.

I got a lot of printed out tabs in my room, and when I'm going trough a pile of them, the Rhoads stuff is really easy to pick out (ok, aside from just reading the notes) by just glancing at the ways things are structured, the fills on each bar, ... If Rhoads would have written more, and it somehow ended up in my room printed out, I bet I can pick it out just by looking at the way it is written.

And these are some of the main reasons I am a Rhoads fan!
blues_n_cues
Cool Member

Post by blues_n_cues »

the rythyms on s.a.t.o. & suicide solution are my particular favorites.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

sato ,over the mountain ,and no bone movies!!!!good post paul!!!!
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

Randy was a complete package; he had it all!!!
I kinda have to agree on Children Of The Grave, as Randy did wonders with that song!
Crazy Train is great example of his rhythm playing... Well, I dig I Don´t Know and Suicide Solution´s rhyhtm-parts very much too. Very hard to pick out something in particular from Randy, since he really had it down so well. Almost perfect... :D
Mikel
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

hansolo wrote:Is this the "RANDY RHOADS" guy from the facebook site who cuts and pastes old posts from here. If it is, dude, do your own research and or original discussions.
Hmmm... no, I have nothing to do with a RR Facebook site. I was simply listening to Steal Away and thinking about what an exceptional rhythm player Randy was. So many people focus on his leads, I thought I'd ask for a discussion on his rhythm work.

Don't know what your on about with the 'cut & paste' thing, but I thought I'd let you know it ain't me that your annoyed with.
Rhoads-Fan
Cool Member

Post by Rhoads-Fan »

I love the rhythm parts in "I Don't Know"
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

I think his rhythm work on the spotlight solo is great........ :P
Lespauly
Cool Member

Post by Lespauly »

SATO--Over Mtn--Crazy Train--
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Slightly off topic but I have these CDR's with a program (tuxguitar) that I bought off ebay that play the song with all different parts but each part is accessible, (tempos can be altered but in tune) and I wanted to learn Mr. Crowley (main solo) I started the first lick. It is a blues cliche' but tricky because the last note is fretted/picked but the first note of the next measure is bent without picking. I think I have it down but not quite the breakneck speed of Randy. F'N Great.

Oh yeah, the greatest rhythm is 'Steal away the night".
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Yes, I apologies Mr. Wolfe. Is it Winston? Pulp fiction Reference, of course. Is it me, but everyone on facebook has no original ideas and always does that cut-and-paste thing where there are several chain-email crap, like 'where were you born' and express how you feel about me using only the third letter of you last name... I can't take it!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

hansolo wrote:Yes, I apologies Mr. Wolfe. Is it Winston? Pulp fiction Reference, of course. Is it me, but everyone on facebook has no original ideas and always does that cut-and-paste thing where there are several chain-email crap, like 'where were you born' and express how you feel about me using only the third letter of you last name... I can't take it!

:D Yeah, I do a little with Facebook, like keeping in touch with relatives, but I'm not big on constant status updates or Farmville or Mafia Wars... that just ain't me, y'know?