Have photos of the St.Louis DOAM show ever appeared?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Gus
Cool Member

Have photos of the St.Louis DOAM show ever appeared?

Post by Gus »

I'm asking because I've read a couple of times that Ozzy's antics were seen as so outrageous on that tour that the concert could only go on if the stage was surrounded by 150 police! :shock: Would've made for an interesting photo.
The One
Cool Member

Re: Have photos of the St.Louis DOAM show ever appeared?

Post by The One »

Interesting story, but if this was planted by $haron... The reality probably would've been more like 10 cops.....
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Federaljim/4Stacks.jpg[/img]
scooterh67

Post by scooterh67 »

Hello Gus! I was at this show! :) They played at the Kiel Auditorium on Jan. 27th 1982. I was a lucky 15 yr old kid who got to go see his FIRST concert ever! :D I didn't have great seats BUT that didn't matter I got to see Randy Rhoads play live. I don't think there was that many police? But, they were there standing by just in case!! I think that when they played the January 20th show at Veterans Auditorium in DesMoines, IA and Ozzy bite the head off the bat, that made national news and his antics were getting wilder and crazier at every show. When Ozzy got here in St. Louis, Mo. He did a live interview on the radio station K-SHE 95 and was on the air saying all this crazy stuff he was going to do, including, blowing up a pig on stage during the show that night. The mascot for the radio station IS a pig by the way. I do remember him mentioning the band and even describing how the stage was with the castle. He did tell the listeners AND had a list of things he mentioned. Like, do not come to the show IF you were pregnant, didn't like the sight of blood, under the age of ?? , etc. etc. He was really saying a lot of crazy shit! I wasn't really sure what to expect during the show and was a bit afraid! Lol!!! The media was all over it, church groups, even the Humane Society and police! They said that IF Ozzy tries to do anything that he would be arrested immediately!! I remember a lot of protesters walking around with signs before and after the show. The show finally started without anything happening and I got to see one hell of a show and was blown away and in awe watching Randy play that night! 8)

I have heard rumors from other members on this forum that this show was possible filmed or a video of it exist?? I don't know if that is true but I think that would be really cool!!! 8) :D And I would also like to see ANY photos taken at this show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers!
Scott
halo8th
Cool Member

Post by halo8th »

all the hoopla surrounding these shows (orchestrated perfectly by those surrounding the band) is funny now looking back.....seeing Ozzy mope around the stage from one side to another back and forth in either clothes akin to baggy pajamas or ridiculous halloween type outfits. The reviews were mostly right...there WAS no "danger" or even outrageousness at these shows....it was as safe of a rock show as there could be. Just funny now looking back at this.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

scooterh67 wrote:I have heard rumors from other members on this forum that this show was possible filmed or a video of it exist??
Not this show.
The show that maybe was filmed is May 22nd 1981 - Checkerdome, St. Louis. But no evidence......
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Jazznroll
Madman

Post by Jazznroll »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:
scooterh67 wrote:I have heard rumors from other members on this forum that this show was possible filmed or a video of it exist??
Not this show.
The show that maybe was filmed is May 22nd 1981 - Checkerdome, St. Louis. But no evidence......
Well ave we got any photos from that gig? we need to investigate.
scooterh67

Post by scooterh67 »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:
Not this show.

Thanks for that correction and info! Either way, I would love to see something like that come out especially from my home town but, I will not hold my breath because I don't think WE will be seeing much of anything else come out down the road from the Osbournes that have to do with Randy Rhoads. Sad to say! But, the box set is probably it! To much bull shit and red tape and control over $$$$$$$ and who gets the most $$$$$$$!!!!!!! Nobody can agree on any terms and get along together and be civil. :evil: towards one another! Money is the ruler of ALL evil

Sorry for the rant!!

Scott
Gus
Cool Member

Post by Gus »

scooterh67 wrote:Hello Gus! I was at this show! :) They played at the Kiel Auditorium on Jan. 27th 1982. I was a lucky 15 yr old kid who got to go see his FIRST concert ever! :D I didn't have great seats BUT that didn't matter I got to see Randy Rhoads play live. I don't think there was that many police? But, they were there standing by just in case!! I think that when they played the January 20th show at Veterans Auditorium in DesMoines, IA and Ozzy bite the head off the bat, that made national news and his antics were getting wilder and crazier at every show. When Ozzy got here in St. Louis, Mo. He did a live interview on the radio station K-SHE 95 and was on the air saying all this crazy stuff he was going to do, including, blowing up a pig on stage during the show that night. The mascot for the radio station IS a pig by the way. I do remember him mentioning the band and even describing how the stage was with the castle. He did tell the listeners AND had a list of things he mentioned. Like, do not come to the show IF you were pregnant, didn't like the sight of blood, under the age of ?? , etc. etc. He was really saying a lot of crazy shit! I wasn't really sure what to expect during the show and was a bit afraid! Lol!!! The media was all over it, church groups, even the Humane Society and police! They said that IF Ozzy tries to do anything that he would be arrested immediately!! I remember a lot of protesters walking around with signs before and after the show. The show finally started without anything happening and I got to see one hell of a show and was blown away and in awe watching Randy play that night! 8)

I have heard rumors from other members on this forum that this show was possible filmed or a video of it exist?? I don't know if that is true but I think that would be really cool!!! 8) :D And I would also like to see ANY photos taken at this show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers!
Scott
Hello Scott! thanks for your story. I love hearing about the shows back then! Ozzy/Randy was your first gig 8) Sounds like all the hype turned the concert into an EVENT for the city. Ozzy may be tame now, but man he was so notorious back then. The pig story :shock: O never was very subtle, and cops did show, but not quite 150 :lol: The whole concert must've made such a huge impression on you. Scott, I've heard from a few that Randy had a BIG sound live-is that how you remember it?
scooterh67

Post by scooterh67 »

Gus wrote:
scooterh67 wrote:Hello Gus! I was at this show! :) They played at the Kiel Auditorium on Jan. 27th 1982. I was a lucky 15 yr old kid who got to go see his FIRST concert ever! :D I didn't have great seats BUT that didn't matter I got to see Randy Rhoads play live. I don't think there was that many police? But, they were there standing by just in case!! I think that when they played the January 20th show at Veterans Auditorium in DesMoines, IA and Ozzy bite the head off the bat, that made national news and his antics were getting wilder and crazier at every show. When Ozzy got here in St. Louis, Mo. He did a live interview on the radio station K-SHE 95 and was on the air saying all this crazy stuff he was going to do, including, blowing up a pig on stage during the show that night. The mascot for the radio station IS a pig by the way. I do remember him mentioning the band and even describing how the stage was with the castle. He did tell the listeners AND had a list of things he mentioned. Like, do not come to the show IF you were pregnant, didn't like the sight of blood, under the age of ?? , etc. etc. He was really saying a lot of crazy shit! I wasn't really sure what to expect during the show and was a bit afraid! Lol!!! The media was all over it, church groups, even the Humane Society and police! They said that IF Ozzy tries to do anything that he would be arrested immediately!! I remember a lot of protesters walking around with signs before and after the show. The show finally started without anything happening and I got to see one hell of a show and was blown away and in awe watching Randy play that night! 8)

Cheers!
Scott
Hello Scott! thanks for your story. I love hearing about the shows back then! Ozzy/Randy was your first gig 8) Sounds like all the hype turned the concert into an EVENT for the city. Ozzy may be tame now, but man he was so notorious back then. The pig story :shock: O never was very subtle, and cops did show, but not quite 150 :lol: The whole concert must've made such a huge impression on you. Scott, I've heard from a few that Randy had a BIG sound live-is that how you remember it?

Hello Gus! My ears were ringing after the concert and for a couple of hours after I got home. Yes! this concert did turn into a media circus, it was major news on all the local t.v. networks and many church groups even tried to stop Ozzy's performance for that night or tried to cancel the show because of all the wild antics and things that Ozzy was claiming he was going to do during the show! The police and humane society were standing by close to the stage area waiting for Ozzy to do the wrong thing but he didn't, the show went on without anything bad happening! If I remember correctly I think Ozzy did say a few funny things or made some kind of smart ass remarks toward the police and humane society watching him :lol: but, that was about it! Looking back I don't remember if this show was sold out or not but I know that it was a packed. I remember looking around and watching all the people holding up there cigarette lighters and lighting up the stadium with the flame and just watching Ozzy and Randy the whole night. 8) I have seen many concerts over the years but nothing beats this show! My favorite concert ever!! I couldn't believe that a month and a half later we would lose Randy Rhoads. :(

Take Care!
Scott
stlrox

Post by stlrox »

Hey guys,

I too was at this show, and like Scott mentioned, it was a big deal locally. So much so that my strict Catholic Mother offered to pay me $50 or buy a new guitar for me if I didn't go. I got to admit the thought of getting that amount of money or a new guitar @ 13 years old was tempting, but I held out. I had to see RR. My Mother was so afraid that something bad would happen. I mean they were talking about people showing up with hatchets, dead animals, etc. I AM SOOOOOO glad I went. It was everything I anticipated. The stage was unbelievable. I was lucky and was on the mid level seats on RR's stage side, so I was in complete euphoria for an hour and a half.

I am sad to say that I did have pics of this show, about 5, almost all of RR. One in particular was just my favorite of him during the spotlight solo where he pointed out to the crowd in the upper seats doing a one handed vibrato. Unfortunately, these were stored in my belongings when I went away to school and my parents basement flooded ruining all of my photos and LPs, including my fave, the Crowley picture CD.

I know Dave has mentioned a St. Lou show being filmed and my memories do seem to remember a camera guy on Rudy's stage side, but I am pretty sure it was a news crew. I remember the lady next to the camera guy because she always had this God awful Baseball size hair bun. So don't shoot in ole guy for saying these things but the images stick out. Another thing I remember is just the roll of the volume of RR's guitar. It was like a wave of sound. It was just incredible.

I like Scott had ears ringing for days after, but a short time later I was floored that he was gone, just like that.

Jerry
stlrox

Post by stlrox »

Hey guys,

I too was at this show, and like Scott mentioned, it was a big deal locally. So much so that my strict Catholic Mother offered to pay me $50 or buy a new guitar for me if I didn't go. I got to admit the thought of getting that amount of money or a new guitar @ 13 years old was tempting, but I held out. I had to see RR. My Mother was so afraid that something bad would happen. I mean they were talking about people showing up with hatchets, dead animals, etc. I AM SOOOOOO glad I went. It was everything I anticipated. The stage was unbelievable. I was lucky and was on the mid level seats on RR's stage side, so I was in complete euphoria for an hour and a half.

I am sad to say that I did have pics of this show, about 5, almost all of RR. One in particular was just my favorite of him during the spotlight solo where he pointed out to the crowd in the upper seats doing a one handed vibrato. Unfortunately, these were stored in my belongings when I went away to school and my parents basement flooded ruining all of my photos and LPs, including my fave, the Crowley picture CD.

I know Dave has mentioned a St. Lou show being filmed and my memories do seem to remember a camera guy on Rudy's stage side, but I am pretty sure it was a news crew. I remember the lady next to the camera guy because she always had this God awful Baseball size hair bun. So don't shoot in ole guy for saying these things but the images stick out. Another thing I remember is just the roll of the volume of RR's guitar. It was like a wave of sound. It was just incredible.

I like Scott had ears ringing for days after, but a short time later I was floored that he was gone, just like that.

Jerry
scooterh67

Post by scooterh67 »

Hello Jerry! Every time when I would see you "stlrox" on here, I always wanted to ask you if you were from St. Louis or just a sports fan or ? That is so cool that you were at the show to! We saw one hell of a concert! It's a shame that your pictures were destroyed in the flood, Was that the flood of 1993 ?? Do you remember OR hear the interview with Ozzy on K-SHE 95, the night of the concert? I've contacted them twice over the years and asked them if they had any recording in there archives of that interview. But sadly they don't! I would love to find someone who recorded it and let everyone hear it but, I can't and feel that it's been lost forever? I do know there is a picture of Randy Rhoads in the book called In Concert: KSHE and 40+ Years of Rock in St. Louis http://www.stlbook.com/ - It's a small pic of him taken at the show we saw I think?

Take Care!
Scott
Gus
Cool Member

Post by Gus »

stlrox wrote:Hey guys,

Jerry
Thanks Jerry. You paint a vivid picture of what it was like concert-wise, and also the spirit of the times when Ozzy was seen as the Bogeyman come to life. The fact that you still care about RR all these years later shows the impact his volume roll, stage presence etc must've had on you. You were wise to ignore that offer from your Mother :lol: Cheers.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Great story. You definitely made the right choice.
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

The correct spelling would be "Boogieman" NOT "Bogeyman." A "Bogeyman" would be a golfer who consistently shoots one-over-par. hahahahahahaha!!! I had to say it!!!!