Eerie Sounds on Blizzard Of Ozz

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Count Jonah

Eerie Sounds on Blizzard Of Ozz

Post by Count Jonah »

My apologies if this has been discussed before, but have any of you ever had any thoughts or feelings concerning the more darker aspects of this album. Specifically, I’m curious about the strange sound that occurs after the fadeout of “Mr. Crowley” but well before “No Bone Movies”. What is that suppose to be? It’s somewhat faint, and sounds like gust of wind, not natural wind, but a sort of ghostly effect. I first noticed it because I would turn the volume all the way up just to hear every part of Randy’s solo at the end of “Mr. Crowley”. I know, most likely there is a logical explanation for it, but when I first started getting into this music as an adolescent, I couldn’t help but wonder if somehow these recordings were haunted by the amazing guitarist who died years ago….even as Randy was in the studio laying down his guitar tracks, it was destined by some otherworldly wraith who manifested itself on a couple of seconds of tape.

Half of this album is just plain spooky, especially for 1979/80. “Suicide Solution”, “Mr. Crowley”, “Revelations” and even “Dee” come off as haunting, somber, ominous and darkly dramatic. :shock:
LeapFrog

Re: Eerie Sounds on Blizzard Of Ozz

Post by LeapFrog »

The entire BOO album seems to have a theme of disillusionment, beginning with "I Don't Know." "Crazy Train" is has tons of geo-political musings. "Goodbye to Romance" is all about the dying of something one once believed in. "Suicide Solution" is about the loss of hope in general and the desperate measures people go to as a result of that loss of hope. "Mr. Crowley" continues that same theme of bewilderment and confusion (most of the song's lines are questions). "Revelation" is about environmental angst. Only "Steal Away" seems to be a song that offers any hope. So yes, I agree: the album has a dark tone to it.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

"Maybe, it's not too late to learn how to love and forget how to hate." The part where Mr. Crowley ends and before No Bone Movies, I could swear is a backwards gong. Like the intro to I don't know. That is a backwards gong, swelling into volume (decay backwards) and finnaly the gong hit starting the song off.

Diary continues the theme of eeriness. An album of "everything is fine" would be quite boring like TV shows. A good family who communicates and loves each other is boring to watch. People who do horrible or dumb stuff to each other is more entertaining.
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

There is only one other thing that is perfectly matched to BOO and DOAMM...

The movie...

Time Bandits.

That movie is perfectly on par with both of those albums in a feeling of eerieness!
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

The Time bandits trailer is cool if you have the DVD...

P.S. - Into SS now. On Main Street, Eerie in RR America! I think I need to watch the box set DVD extra soon!
Rhoads-Fan
Cool Member

Post by Rhoads-Fan »

Blizzard of Ozz's debut album was made while everyone was on drugs. Strange things happen being under the influence of grass and coke. :lol:

The album has a lot of fade out sounds, not the best production due to the low cost involved. Diary of a Madman had a somewhat better budget thus a somewhat better produced product.
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

Haha! *Grass*.... haven't heard that one in ages.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Diary wasn't worked on as long as Blizzard. I gotta think that there was less money because the band needed to work (just finished UK Tour). One of the better things you can credit Sharon for is getting them back in the studio. Ozzy only had a deal for Jet records in the UK. It wasn't until after Diary was recorded did Ozzy get a deal in US w/CBS and bit the doves head off but was signed no matter...
Rhoads-Fan
Cool Member

Post by Rhoads-Fan »

hansolo wrote:Diary wasn't worked on as long as Blizzard. I gotta think that there was less money because the band needed to work (just finished UK Tour). One of the better things you can credit Sharon for is getting them back in the studio. Ozzy only had a deal for Jet records in the UK. It wasn't until after Diary was recorded did Ozzy get a deal in US w/CBS and bit the doves head off but was signed no matter...
$50,000 or $60,000 for BOO and around $100,000 for DOAM from Guitar World July 2011
Last edited by Rhoads-Fan on Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

Yeah, you can tell DOAMM was a bit hurried. It's a really dark and quirky album. Like I said earlier, BOO has all the elements of some late 70's rock, but DOAMM was definitely fresh sounding and really stands out all by itself. I'll go as far as to say DOAMM is Ozzy's most unique album. By far.
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

Spook city USA...eh, yeah. BOO has a warmer sound than DOAMM... I listen to BOO more, dunno why really... It tends to change really; they are two of my favourite ever albums for more than 2 decades... so I guess that´s what matters to me. ;)
Mikel
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

BOO has more of a classic sound. My obvious pick is BOO. There is a lot of heart and soul on that one.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

for me boo sucks except for a few songs...i like doam way better...
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

Oh man! No way! BOO is a classic album!

To each their own. I think DOAMM is great, but the songs seem under-cooked for the most part.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Both albums are flawless IMO. I know Randy was rushed on DOAM for solos. Hardly noticeable. If I could find a problem about both albums it would be the are too short. A couple more songs on both albums would have been cool.