How long did randy have to wait....

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Axian
Cool Member

How long did randy have to wait....

Post by Axian »

How long did they take to build considering randy had not established himself. Thats if anyone knows, be interesting compared to his black jackson.
Stiltzkin

Re: How long did randy have to wait....

Post by Stiltzkin »

build what ?
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

You mean Sandoval polka-dot V and white Jackson? I´d say it was up to 2 months or so... Can´t remember the exact time, even that they´re quite well documented...
Mikel
Axian
Cool Member

Post by Axian »

That was quite short then considering no one knew who he was, I know he had the pdv before ozzy but when did he actually get the white Jackson though
Isodee
Cool Member

Post by Isodee »

^He ordered it just before Xmas 1980, got it 8 weeks later if I remember correctly (thanks Joel, I'm halfway your book!). So somewhere Feb-March 1981.
Axian
Cool Member

Post by Axian »

Thanks man, im gonna get that book as soon as ive finished off the rails ...... been reading it on and off for over 6 months now and still havent finished it. :)
LeapFrog

Post by LeapFrog »

Don't forget: Randy was well-known in L.A. and the fact that he was playing with Ozzy got him a little clout as well. You'll note that he wasn't dealing with a huge corporation like Gibson. At the time, Charvel/Jackson wasn't that big of a company. He couldn't have called up Gibson and said, "Hey, uh, can you make me a guitar?"
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Axian wrote:That was quite short then considering no one knew who he was, I know he had the pdv before ozzy but when did he actually get the white Jackson though

Charvel was still pretty much an unknown company and Grover created 'Jackson' guitars with Randy's first axe... Karl Sandoval was not really well known either prior to Randy joining Ozzy... so the time frame of a couple months is no big deal... the luthiers needed Randy to help get their names out as much as Randy need them to build for him.

Karl is still making a living off that one guitar he built in '79... just look at the first picture on his website:
Attachments
header.jpg
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Karl is still making a living off that one guitar he built in '79... just look at the first picture on his website:
it's so funny because the PDV is basically a Gibson Flying V with a few minor adjustments 8)
sik_kreations
Cool Member

Post by sik_kreations »

not really.. its a dan electro neck with a modded head stock and he would have had to rip the fretboard off and do the bow tie inlays.. i believe the body was a mighty might. so it took destroying a dan electro and mating it to another body.

figure around that time the guitars were finished in lacquer. if they were finished in urethanes the time could have been cut down even more.

karl also was a custom builder for charvel at that time too i bleieve.. so im sure he was moonlighting when he made the pdv. lol.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

sik_kreations wrote:not really.. its a dan electro neck with a modded head stock and he would have had to rip the fretboard off and do the bow tie inlays.. i believe the body was a mighty might. so it took destroying a dan electro and mating it to another body.

figure around that time the guitars were finished in lacquer. if they were finished in urethanes the time could have been cut down even more.

karl also was a custom builder for charvel at that time too i bleieve.. so im sure he was moonlighting when he made the pdv. lol.
The V is a neck thru isn't it? I guess I always assumed it was... so that'd mean the Dan Electro was, too. right? Makes more sense that the original was a set neck... don't no why I always assumed it was a neck thru guitar?

Anyway, Based on the neck thru assumption, the sides would be cut off and the wings glued on, then the neck inlays redone, which could be done to a dot inlay neck if you're good at it... that's how I assumed it was done.

Oh, and yes I know what it means to assume!
sik_kreations
Cool Member

Post by sik_kreations »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
sik_kreations wrote:not really.. its a dan electro neck with a modded head stock and he would have had to rip the fretboard off and do the bow tie inlays.. i believe the body was a mighty might. so it took destroying a dan electro and mating it to another body.

The V is a neck thru isn't it? I guess I always assumed it was... so that'd mean the Dan Electro was, too. right? Makes more sense that the original was a set neck... don't no why I always assumed it was a neck thru guitar?

Anyway, Based on the neck thru assumption, the sides would be cut off and the wings glued on, then the neck inlays redone, which could be done to a dot inlay neck if you're good at it... that's how I assumed it was done.

Oh, and yes I know what it means to assume!

it is a neck through.. doesnt mean that a good luthier couldnt modify a bolt on neck to make a neck through.. but i can almost guarantee the fretboard was pulled off the neck to add the teardrop shape to the dots to make the bowties.. it is a danelectro for sure and its also a 21 fretter.

first pic i find in sandovals sight helps prove my point..

http://karlsandoval.com/Custom%20Work.htm