Suicide Solution Demo

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Suicide Solution Demo

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

This sounds legit to me... A different "bridge" I believe and a much more bluesier approach overall. Me likes!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReY750r8eTs
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
Blind Mojo Johnny

Re: Suicide Solution Demo

Post by Blind Mojo Johnny »

I have this as well (got it some years back) and would say it is legit...
for absolutely sure that is a "panasonic portable cassette recorder" that made that recording as I used (and probably still have one buried in a box somewhere) to have several and were a main staple at that time period for demoing and recording ideas for song writing and it has the "exact" same sound and built in compression (and distortion :-) )
there were no "porta studios" back then though you could use a teac 4 channel reel to reel for over dubbing but it was so large that it was totally impractical for taking any place unless you were totally motivated and then you had to have mics ect... which was just too much of a hassle for demo action.
but the panasonic worked like a charm and was small and had it's own mic
the trick was to place it in just the right spot to capture (and mix) all the instruments
so if you took some time in setting the thing up you could actually come up with some pretty good recordings

visit my site: www.blindmojojohnny.com
Remedylane
Cool Member

Post by Remedylane »

Bob leaked his grail tapes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But seriously, I wonder if this is the kind of stuff that Bob has? Would be interesting to hear, although we never will.

Matt
Bongo Christ

Post by Bongo Christ »

If that is anything like the recording's Bob has in his possession then he was clearly insane to turn down Sharon's lucrative (see, I too can state my opinion as fact) offer. I dread to think what the response would be if the Osbourne's released something like that officially.
Jazznroll
Madman

Post by Jazznroll »

I do believe portastudios were out in '79, so they couldve gotten one if they wernt stingy.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

@ 4:18 someone says randy ////// then randy says me?listen really good....i thought that was fuckin sweet!!!!
randyrulz

Post by randyrulz »

Bongo Christ wrote:If that is anything like the recording's Bob has in his possession then he was clearly insane to turn down Sharon's lucrative (see, I too can state my opinion as fact) offer. I dread to think what the response would be if the Osbourne's released something like that officially.

Agreed! Cool to listen to once, but that's enough for me..........
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

This was so amazing to listen to. Wow.
Jazznroll
Madman

Post by Jazznroll »

Tito wrote:@ 4:18 someone says randy ////// then randy says me?listen really good....i thought that was fuckin sweet!!!!
Yeah its ozzy and yer hear randy in the background, i bet theres tonnes of this sorta stuff.
RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

Lots of great energy in that sample. Definitely off the cuff and spontaneous. Like to sample some more please. :mrgreen:
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Probably this originates from Bob, being a songwriter (audio notepad). Bob's tapes, even if a crappy recorder has to sound better (than this version) and with today's music tools, you could do a lot. Still, I could listen to Randy this way, especially if it was rare non-concert stuff. Randy had made a comment of, "Let the tapes roll for days" when finding/writing song ideas during the sessions.

The middle sounds like a Quiet Riot thingy IMHO. I original found the version that appears on Chelmsford Complete (Bondage boot) and I definitely heard the "Randy" at the end. I made an EQ'ed version and a non-EQ'ed version. I borrowed the tape from a Canadian guy. Cool guy...
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Actually, I went back and listened to it again and the first Interlude/part of the solo reminds me of No Bone Movies and then the QR part was One in a million solo-ish. I also think it may be Bob's voice saying, "Randy!" That little SS session is awesome to me. I found it on a tape basically as filler. I remember emailing the guy, freaking out!
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Tito wrote:@ 4:18 someone says randy ////// then randy says me?listen really good....i thought that was fuckin sweet!!!!
Cool, never noticed that! 8)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
SLAGER
Cool Member

Post by SLAGER »

hansolo wrote:Actually, I went back and listened to it again and the first Interlude/part of the solo reminds me of No Bone Movies and then the QR part was One in a million solo-ish. I also think it may be Bob's voice saying, "Randy!" That little SS session is awesome to me. I found it on a tape basically as filler. I remember emailing the guy, freaking out!
Totally noticed that part's similarity to NBM. They wrote it for SS and then moved it over to NBM.....very interesting. I love this kinda stuff.
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

Origins of the "Blizzard Of Ozz", so to speak!!! There is re-mastered version of this, out there... Never get tired of hearing this! :wink:
Mikel