Randy's Image

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

AndrewT1976
Madman

Randy's Image

Post by AndrewT1976 »

I never really noticed too much until now, but it seems like Randy had a different haircut at almost every single show. He was also still wearing the bell-bottom (or boot cut) style pants.

It seems like spandex was inches away from him right before he died. You check out Rudy, and he's wearing fitted spandex/leather and high boots over them. So were bands like Motley Crue.

Do you think Randy would have gone that style?

In my opinion, had Ozzy kept the Bob/Lee lineup, you'd be looking at a classic backstreet UK type band that would have held up better over time. Looking at those early BOO band photos, they look really cool.

I imagine the music would have stayed that same type of BOO sound. They probably would have been grouped in with bands like Judas Priest. That would've been great.

I'm an Ozzy fan, and I personally like BATM and TUS, but the majority of the public today would look at those albums as being dated and not very good.

Had they continued on the path of the darker-sounding tunes with some incredible guitar, bass, and drum work, you'd probably have a whole slew of bands today that would refer to the Blizzard of Ozz band as much as a band like Judas Priest as being a big influence.
fortress
Madman

Re: Randy's Image

Post by fortress »

with sharon, that would never happen anyway. I dont think Randy would have wear outfit like Rudy too
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

I honestly think that we would have been treated to more or less what we got (with better guitar work, no offense to Jake, Zakk, or any of the other players). You have to keep in mind what metal was like in the mid/late 80's, and the product being turned out. Randy's glam background would have played well into this also, IMO. Ozzy plays up the sound that is successful at the time, and goes with that. No reason to think that this would have changed with Randy on guitar throughout the 80's.

I really think Randy would have made a couple more albums with Ozzy in the metal vein, then done what he wanted, music wise. You have to make your name in popular music to truly have the creative license to do what you want to do (aka paying the bills). Given all we know about Randy, he probably would have gone back to school, then explored more forms of music.

I like to think he would have done something of a reunion with Ozzy at some point, a la MTV's Unplugged. How cool would that have been? It's sad we'll never know....
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

AndrewT1976 wrote:I'm an Ozzy fan, and I personally like BATM and TUS, but the majority of the public today would look at those albums as being dated and not very good.
I look at those to records and think exactly that! Bark at the Moon and Rock and Roll Rebel are the only songs I can tolerate on that record. The Ultimate Sin is great - loaded with good songs and good playing - BUT it sounds so dated because of the keyboards, to me. I'd love to have Rock Band/Guitar Hero tracks of that whole record so I could remix without the keys.

As for the initial topic of clothes, I think Randy would have shied away from the outrageous spandex look and stayed with the leather outfits like he was wearing. I'd hate to see him in a late '80's Priest look, though!

I think Randy could have pulled off this:

and I just had to add this (Jake always looked cool in the Ozzy days), Randy probably would have adopted a look similar to what Jake had:

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Was Randy's image not frowned upon by both Ozzy and $haron after the first 1980 UK tour. Did they ask him to drop the polka dot waist coat image. I remember the Shepperton studio rehearsal photos and Ozzy and Randy are trying out some very strange looking clothes. Silver trousers and braces/suspenders, ill fitting vests etc ?.. Did Rudy not mention the image change over in his book as they both ended up wearing similar clothes during the later Diary tour dates.
I could imagine Randy having his hair cut on a regular basis as Rudy was a hair dresser in a previous job.
Attachments
Randy Rudy photo.jpg
Ozzy & Randy Shepperton studios.jpg