The highlight of every Ozzy/Randy show

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

The Flying Dutchman

Re: The highlight of every Ozzy/Randy show

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

TheMrAxeman wrote:
The Flying Dutchman wrote:If his guitarsound for a particular show was great (to me then) then usually the whole show is a one big highlight to me! :P I seem to like his playing much better then.
+1
example is long beach for me...awesome! So is providence!
although i love montreal something about randy's pickslides on that are like nails on a chalk board to me
Yeah, Long Beach '81 is a great show for sure! Also Montreal has a very dynamic guitarsound. These 'pronounced' picklides is a very good example too! You don't hear them in '82 anymore..... As with those very high pitched feedback squals, they are all gone in '82.
(unfortunately not a fan of Providence, each time I want to tell him to replace tubes immediately! It's the same with the new live cd.... Most '81 shows I like, like Montreal, Cleveland, Ontario and also Long Beach beat that show easily imo )
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
dasboot

Post by dasboot »

Randy may not have liked Sabbath but he rocked it. cOTG is epic an he just shreds on paranoid . Love it on the new live cd. Been said before, but wish he had lived to play Symptom of the Universe and also Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. Randy was on the cutting edge of the emerging american hard rock scene but combined with ozzys british metal made the magic of boo and doam. so the sabbath songs were sort of the other side of the equation.
"He could interpret blazing renditions of his compositions as easily as taking a breath"-Rudy Sarzo
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

dasboot wrote:but wish he had lived to play Symptom of the Universe
If I could only choose one Sabbath song for him to do it would be that one!
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

I would have loved to see more live material from DOAM like SATO or tonight. How bout Diary Of A Madman! Are you kidden me?!?!
Lara Coimbra

Post by Lara Coimbra »

Geo Sav wrote:I would have loved to see more live material from DOAM like SATO or tonight. How bout Diary Of A Madman! Are you kidden me?!?!
Me too! I often imagine how it would be aweosome having live performances
of You Can't Kill Rock N' Roll and SATO... The recording Speak Of The Devil would be totally different and in
my opinion it would better! I'm not saying Brad did a bad job, in fact I admire his courage and skills.
Anyway, If Randy Rhoads had the chance of making a different Speak Of The Devil, he would do it
so great that many guitarrists would think twice before getting their guitars again.
8)
Well, Randy's up to bat, gonna hit me a home run...
Sorry 'bout that, outside, ball one...
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

S.A.T.O. is one of the hardest Randy songs to play in my opinion, the tempo is fast and the licks are all over the fretboard! Would love to hear him ripping it up live!

One of my favourite's is the band jam...
roballyn

Post by roballyn »

Have to say, if i had a dollar for every time i performed Paranoid(drums or vocals) i would be a very wealthy man. The version from Montreal(kbfh) is the version that made me want to play guitar in the first place. KISS made me want to be a rockstar, Randy Rhoads made me want to be a musician. I ended up being a drummer.....WTF happened? LOL!
Lara Coimbra

Post by Lara Coimbra »

roballyn wrote:Have to say, if i had a dollar for every time i performed Paranoid(drums or vocals) i would be a very wealthy man. The version from Montreal(kbfh) is the version that made me want to play guitar in the first place. KISS made me want to be a rockstar, Randy Rhoads made me want to be a musician. I ended up being a drummer.....WTF happened? LOL!
Haha funny. :lol:
I'm a singer but I love everything about guitars!
Well, Randy's up to bat, gonna hit me a home run...
Sorry 'bout that, outside, ball one...
blues_n_cues
Cool Member

Post by blues_n_cues »

dinomite wrote:I have always loved his solo's during Paranoid. I just think they are so full of energy and no two were ever the same, he just knew so many great licks in any key and could just run with it.
i liked children of the grave but wasn't too hot on paranoid. i liked brad gillis' version of the solo & that's along the lines of what i do for paranoid.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Children of the Grave has always been the best Randy played Sab tune. I never liked his version of Paranoid. I think you could really tell that he HATED Sabbath and didn't give a shit about the song when you listened to Paranoid.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Yeh children of the grave kicked ass.
The One
Cool Member

Post by The One »

The only reason "Speak of the Devil" was recorded at all, was the fact that Ozzy & $haron wanted out of their deal with Jet Records ($haron's father).
Ozzy owed them 1 more album but was against giving the old prick any original material. So basically S.O.T.D. was a "Fuck you, we're outta here" deal to Jet......
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Federaljim/4Stacks.jpg[/img]
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

I heard that too. 8)
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

This is just my opinion and not based on any fact but...

I have always believed the reason Ozzy wanted Randy and company to record a live Sabbath record so much was because he knew how much better his new band was than Sabbath. He knew he could release a live Sabbath album that would crush Live Evil (Sabbath live wth Dio). And he was right.... Had Randy played those songs it would have been unreal. And of course to get out of the deal with Jet. Thats been known for awhile. But I t hink he wanted to send a big f*ck you to Sabbath also. He was starting to realize he was moving on to bigger and better things and he was.
Live Life Stronger Than Death
Silver Rhoads
Cool Member

Post by Silver Rhoads »

hansolo wrote:Randy hated doing the Sabbath stuff. He tried to get out of Talk of the devil (he didn't want to do it) and eventually died before having to record it. Could you imagine, your making this new groundbreaking music and your singer wants you to cover his old bands songs from 10 years ago in a double album. Ozzy/Sharon had no idea what was in front of them the entire time. It's so ridiculous when you think about it. I like Sabbath a lot but Randy wasn't Sabbath and you should of kept the two separate, eventually. Maybe now Ozzy could force Tony to play Crazy Train or flying high again or an entire album of Randy...
AWESOME quote by the way! I agree. They shouldn't have even touched any Sabbath tunes! What's the point? Ozzy himself didn't want to have anything to do with them back then. Perhaps Don Arden was pushing him to do it. I don't blame Randy one bit for getting perturbed. Tony, all though a great person to come up with riffs, it would be kind of funny to hear him play some of Randy's material. :shock: