to other guitar players who have new live cd

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

chilinvilin
Cool Member

Re: to other guitar players who have new live cd

Post by chilinvilin »

SLAGER wrote:.....yeah and Sharon shot JFK :)
Now thats funny... :D
AceVader
Cool Member

Post by AceVader »

AndrewT1976 wrote:The new album sounds amazing, but it just doesn't sit right in my gut. It's like taking a hot chick home and peeling her panties off only to discover a d*ck!

Someday we are going to find out that Zakk doubled some parts.

Here's something to consider...

The "newness" of Randy's death is 30 years past now. I can really and honestly believe that Ozzy was still heartbroken in 87', and if anyone dared to touch Randy's tracks on Tribute he would have sat on them (2 tons of fun Ozzy in those Liberace robes).

But...

Fast forward 25 years, and you have Randy as a "product" and you have the Osbourne's as "opportunists." I'm sure Randy's guitar parts were awesome, but let's face it, his tone was nothing like guitarists have today. So, in keeping that thought, maybe Ozzy wanted Zakk to double some parts? I mean, it's no coincidence that Zakk is playing along to Randy in the documentary, right?? Zakk and the Osbourne's are apparently still on good terms. Maybe they gave Zakk the green light to do some stuff in the studio to pay homage to his childhood hero??

A few problems with that theory.

1) Ozzy loves Randy. I beleive that to this day he's hurt by it. Hes never changed his story and I dont think the guy is a very good actor, if you watch the doc he's still broken up about it. I dont think he'd screw with Randy's tracks.

2) Zakk sounds like Zakk. Can he play Randy's stuff? Sure, absolutely. But he sounds like Zakk playing Randy's stuff, not Randy. I know I am not the only person here who would be able to hear it. Zakk has a distinct sound no matter what he plays through, theres no way we would mistake it for actually being Randy.

3) Randy's tone wasnt lacking. Recording methods were, and even at that there is still material where his GINORMOUS tone comes through, and that leads me to the next one:

4) FHA. Listen to this version next to the original boot. It's mixed much better, the quality is much better, but it's all there. They re-mixed an old live show, did a little "magic" to bring it out a bit. But they didnt drastically alter anything. What we have is Randy's tone and playing 100%, in the highest quality a modern engineer can give us. I love it.

You know from my other posts that the thought couldnt help but creep in the back of my mind, but this is Randy all the way.
mauk 1

Post by mauk 1 »

I dont think Zakk dubbed anything....
Mind you, I have yet to hear the new live Disk due to it being on backorder....
But.
I have studied and played Randy's licks for 30 years...
And I fail to think that Zakk could change his way of playing to come close...IMHO
I have read that Kevin used Carlos' Marshalls to pipe Randys tracks throuh for the QR Disc The Randy Rhoads years...So maybe The O's did the same to "Modernize" , or Polish Randys tracks..

Very good point, dont get me wrong...But I think after the screwing of Bob and Lee in the remasters of BOO and Diary....I dont think they would do It again on a " Tribute " to Ozzy and the albums that saved his carrier ....And we all know who actually did that...
ImageImage
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

They would never dub Randys tracks with anyone I don’t think even sharon would do something that stupid and low. That is like a sin.
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

All great points everyone. I appreciate the debate!

As far as Randy's tone "lacking" I really meant to say that his tone is "lacking" in the standards of modern bands (which to me - I DO NOT prefer). However, releasing this new live album with some "crunch" to it probably sits well with the kids who listen to other new bands. I don't know, maybe??

Randy's tone is better than anything out there today - bar none. Same with EVH's sound from the late 70's/early 80's.

I really dislike modern guitar tones. To me, a great guitar sound is a Les Paul through and old Hi-Watt, Orange, or Marshall Plexi. Even the modern Mesas Boogie stuff sounds to "muddy" you can't distinguish the notes. The best guitar tone is when you actually gain-out the amp or really drive the tubes. Modern distortion is just that..."distortion"...you can get a crunchy tone at a very minimal volume, and to me - that produces very un-pronounced notes.

I'll never really be able to figure out why Mastering facilities started matering albums SO LOUDLY. Why??? It doesn't even make sense. What a stupid idea.

I'm also a huge 90's Grunge fan, and I thought that was the last era where actual "good sounding" amps were used. You had bands like Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, ect all using late 60's/early 70's guitars and amps, and whether you like the tunes or not, the recordings sounded really raw and cool. Today's artists sound really over-produced and sonically there are not much dynamics between tunes. Each song is pretty much LOUD all the time.
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

I still can see Zakk doubling some of Randy's parts in the studio. Call me crazy, but I can almnost envision Ozzy watching him through the glass as he maybe "fills in" some of Randy's slides and other auxillary fills that didn't "punch through" the mix that well.

Do I think Zakk actually re-recorded parts? Absolutely not.

I just think it's really weird that they had him playing along to the tunes in the documentary. Then again, I'm aware of DVD's from bands like Floyd and the Who where they play along to their orginal recording to show the viewer how they played that part.

A few people on this board (Dutchman being one) has pointed out some fills and slides that sound really "suspect", so I'm not the only one.

At the end of the day, we have another new live recording, and while I enjoy listening to it, I'll never be able to fully "love" it like Tribute. I still think Tribute is a magical album and will definitely hold the test of time over this new live album.
RhoadsToOzz

Post by RhoadsToOzz »

Also suspect - At the end of the IDK solo the timing of the gong is amazingly perfect, and sounds perfect. How did Tommy grab the drum mallet so fast to hit the gong when his timing was so perfect a split second beforehand using regular drumsticks? ... :roll: and to strike the gong perfectly centered like it sounds ... ? ...
TheMrAxeman
Mass Poster

Post by TheMrAxeman »

RhoadsToOzz wrote:Also suspect - At the end of the IDK solo the timing of the gong is amazingly perfect, and sounds perfect. How did Tommy grab the drum mallet so fast to hit the gong when his timing was so perfect a split second beforehand using regular drumsticks? ... :roll: and to strike the gong perfectly centered like it sounds ... ? ...
maybe he rerecorded drums for the upcoming live album they were planning
i still hope for southampton to be released, the songs we have from that show are so great! and i want to hear a live pro recorded ylamlay
Wanna trade boots? email randyrhoadsboots@gmail.com