Footage from the box set

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

telemaster

Footage from the box set

Post by telemaster »

I don't normally post, I'm more of a lurker. My wife purchased the box set for my birthday, and I've viewed the footage many times. I've been intrigued by the comments posted here, both by those who bought it and by those who won't for whatever reason.

I've been a Randy fan since about April of 1982, having found out about him just after his death. I play guitar, and the day I first heard him he became a huge inspiration and influence and continues to be that today. I'm nearly 50 years old, which is hard to believe. I bought a bootleg VHS copy of "After Hours" in the summer of 1982, which I wore out. I bought many bootlegged cassette copies of shows over the years, which I listened to many times. I couldn't wait for "Tribute" and with the advent of the internet I was thrilled to see anything with RR, from The Palladium and Chicago clips to the "Happy Birthday" clip from Sharon's Biography film. I travelled to Musonia and Randy's grave on my honeymoon in 1985 and happened to meet Jerry Calhoun a couple of years ago.

I'm a huge fan, but I don't consider myself a fanatic. Well, maybe a little bit...my wife would disagree and say I'm a full-fledged nut case. But she did buy me the box set.

For me, the high point of the DVD is the Albuquerque news footage. The intro, Tommy's un-miked drums, watching Randy walk out from the back of the stage to the front, and hearing that hugely thick, metallic tone that he seemed to get live on the Diary tour on "Over The Mountain" made the whole thing worthwhile. Particularly in the last solo on "Mountain" when they finally zoom in on RR and Ozzy moves his gut out of the way. That small bit watching his hands on the fretboard makes the whole thing worth it for me, truly magic.

Do I wish they would have focused on Randy? Do I wish there was more footage (I have to laugh when I see the words "pro-shot Diary tour...there was one, it had Brad Gillis in it)? Do I wish I would have seen him play live? Do I wish he hadn't gotten on that plane? The answer to all these, of course, is yes.

I suppose I understand why some will not pay money for the set, and yeah, the Osbournes like money and all that. But this footage was definitely a thrill for me to see, that's for sure. I lived in that time and understand that Ozzy wasn't all that popular like he later became, and the world was just finding out about RR when he died....some of you might remember that Randy was denied the cover in Guitar World that was on the shelf at the time of the accident...it was given to Adrian Belew. I understand that anything new at this point is gravy.

So cheers, Randy fans. Back to lurkerland and being content with life as it is. Until the doc comes out...
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Re: Footage from the box set

Post by Cryptic Night »

I just want to say that while yes, some people don't want to give money to the Osbournes, others just simply don't have the money to spend on something like this.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
xk319

Post by xk319 »

Yep, that DOAM footage was what I loved. It all gets better the more you watch it because when you see it for the first time you kind of stare at the footage just trying to see Randy.........then say damn I wish they'd show more Randy......then your first viewing is over. Then you watch it again and you're like, "holy crap, I'm watching the introduction to a DOAM concert, I can't believe this", and you look at it from a ....well, you take a step back and look at it from a bigger perspective. This allows you to enjoy it more than you did the first time I think. You stop begging to see Randy more, instead you gaze at Tommy's kit, you stare up at the flickering flames on the castle wall, you stare at the concert goers....you notice Oz kicking something on the stage at one time. It just gets better once you remove your microscope.

And I will say I was not particularly looking forward to the After Hours footage, but yes it really is super damn clear. I actually watched the whole segment, I did not think I would cause I've seen it so many times. It's that clear. It was a big surprise to me and I love it, big bonus for me.

The Palladium show is icing on the cake. I'm a DOAM tour freak, not so much BOO tour....to me that tour doesn't have the mystique the presentation of the DOAM tour does with it's setting.

If/when you buy the set, keep these thoughts in mind. It will get better the more you watch it over the proceeding months.
telemaster

Post by telemaster »

others just simply don't have the money to spend on something like this.
This is true, unfortunately. It would be very good indeed if they were to release the DVD on it's own.
TheMrAxeman
Mass Poster

Post by TheMrAxeman »

Cryptic Night wrote:I just want to say that while yes, some people don't want to give money to the Osbournes, others just simply don't have the money to spend on something like this.
+1
Wanna trade boots? email randyrhoadsboots@gmail.com
xk319

Post by xk319 »

telemaster wrote:
others just simply don't have the money to spend on something like this.
This is true, unfortunately. It would be very good indeed if they were to release the DVD on it's own.
I can't imagine they will NOT do this. Strictly from a business standpoint, they should wait till the sales of the boxset have declined past a certain point, then release smaller and smaller packages, maybe say the discs and dvd as one package for $100 or something, and maybe the book on it's own for $25. Then when the bundled disc/dvd package sales decline past a certain point....release discs individually for $20 and $30. They would be foolish (monetarily) not to do this.

It could be a while, but I can't see them not doing this if they are worried soley about money.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

xk319 wrote:Yep, that DOAM footage was what I loved. It all gets better the more you watch it because when you see it for the first time you kind of stare at the footage just trying to see Randy.........then say damn I wish they'd show more Randy......then your first viewing is over. Then you watch it again and you're like, "holy crap, I'm watching the introduction to a DOAM concert, I can't believe this", and you look at it from a ....well, you take a step back and look at it from a bigger perspective. This allows you to enjoy it more than you did the first time I think. You stop begging to see Randy more, instead you gaze at Tommy's kit, you stare up at the flickering flames on the castle wall, you stare at the concert goers....you notice Oz kicking something on the stage at one time. It just gets better once you remove your microscope.

And I will say I was not particularly looking forward to the After Hours footage, but yes it really is super damn clear. I actually watched the whole segment, I did not think I would cause I've seen it so many times. It's that clear. It was a big surprise to me and I love it, big bonus for me.

The Palladium show is icing on the cake. I'm a DOAM tour freak, not so much BOO tour....to me that tour doesn't have the mystique the presentation of the DOAM tour does with it's setting.

If/when you buy the set, keep these thoughts in mind. It will get better the more you watch it over the proceeding months.
Very well said!
Especially about the DOAM footage, after watching it a few times I did enjoy it more and more! (and I´m not even a fan that much of Randy´s ´82 live playing)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
distortionplus
Cool Member

Post by distortionplus »

Excellent points all.

Telemaster your story and mine are practically the same. I caught on to Randy's playing the summer of 81. I could not wait to see him live. That never became a reality as a little over one month before the DOAM tour was to hit Memphis TN he was killed. Excellent points, and very true after the shock of the first viewing subsides it actually gets better each time you watch. At least it does for me.
randyrulz

Post by randyrulz »

Excellent point! I did buy the Cds and want to BUY the dvd, but not in the box-set with everything else that I have no intrest in......
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

Good posts!
xk319

Post by xk319 »

I figure I bought a $50 dvd documentary and tons of extras and live footage, a $20 reissue, a $20 reissue, a $25 live cd, and a $35 photo book. Added up to $150.

But yeah I understand not being able to afford it all at once.
SLAGER
Cool Member

Post by SLAGER »

Awesome post Telemaster - exactly the type of decription of the new footage and reaction to it that I've been trying to read more of. Thanks.

I too am close to 50 (UGH! GASP!) and was a teen when I bought the NEW Ozzy albums with Randy and was instantly hooked. Luckily (VERY) I got to see Randy live twice.
dasboot

Post by dasboot »

Telemaster..great post. This is how i feel. My wife and i went to Randys grave last year on our honeymoon. She thinks im a fanatic as well but got me a RR groom cake for our wedding with the minature V replica. The box set is awesome...we would have killed for it in 85-86.
"He could interpret blazing renditions of his compositions as easily as taking a breath"-Rudy Sarzo