Guitar case in backgroud

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

AeolianMad

Guitar case in backgroud

Post by AeolianMad »

I have always been curious to the guitar case that is directly in the background of this picture, i really like it with all the stickers and stuff. anybody know the details about that case as well as some of the stickers? I would love to know about it.
Attachments
Rhoads_Randy_guitars_big.jpg
12.6.56-3.19.82
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Re: Guitar case in backgroud

Post by Geo Sav »

It looks like there might be a Italy sticker on it. Hard to tell though
jasonmusicman
Cool Member

Post by jasonmusicman »

AeolianMad wrote:I have always been curious to the guitar case that is directly in the background of this picture, i really like it with all the stickers and stuff. anybody know the details about that case as well as some of the stickers? I would love to know about it.
Whats more intriguing to me is what is the strat style guitar on the sofa next to randy, its very beaten up.

Jas.
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

I may be mistaken, but I think that's either Rudy's Jazz or Precision...I think there's another pic in this session where it's clearer to see. Rudy was probably warming up as well, then bailed for the photo session.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Ironface put together just about every photo from this session over at TK, there is one shot where the bass can be seen, I just can't tell if it's the fretless or not. Either way, I thought you'd like to see some addiotional shots of the guitar case. :)

http://www.nobitching.com/phpbb3/viewto ... =21&t=7506

~T.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

That is Randy's Les Paul case if you notice all the stickers are from his time with Ozzy. So i would say that this was built for him when he joined the band in 1980. Possibley for the debut tour in the UK. The stickers are hard to read but i have seen better pics of this case. From the top left they are Jet records with an Italy sticker on top. The yellow one next to it ? looks like a radio station sticker. The next row down, those look like a row of Ozzy tour passes not sure about the white one on the left. Below those that looks like the words PARIS so that one could be from his time in France Europe with Saxon and Riot in '81. The one next to that is a Scotland badge sticker with a bagpiper. Hard to make out that yellow sticker too many scuffs. Moving across to the right that looks like a Radio station (KLS?) sponsor sticker from one of the Ozzy gigs. 'Fight Dirty' that could be an advert for guitar strings ?. The large sticker on the end that is running across the case. I remember seeing the same logo on Randy's and Rudy's amp heads and speaker cabs. This was at the Heavy Metal Holocaust gig in Stoke 1981 (see the pic below). So that is a hire company from the UK *ML. Thats about all the ones i can read.

ImageImage
Attachments
RR kerrang 1.jpg
Last edited by GUITARIDOL5682 on Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

jasonmusicman wrote:
AeolianMad wrote:I have always been curious to the guitar case that is directly in the background of this picture, i really like it with all the stickers and stuff. anybody know the details about that case as well as some of the stickers? I would love to know about it.
Whats more intriguing to me is what is the strat style guitar on the sofa next to randy, its very beaten up.

Jas.
Yeah i remember bringing up this same subject and it is Rudy's Fender Precission bass the one with the sunburst finish.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Great pics thanks.
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Cool! Thanks Shaun. 8)
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

Shaun you're the man! So Randy did not always play with his white marshall(s)? Or did he use his head with hired cabinets?
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Stewie wrote:Shaun you're the man! So Randy did not always play with his white marshall(s)? Or did he use his head with hired cabinets?
If you remember that gig at the HMH Stoke football ground 1st August 1981. The band had to fly from the USA tour and then do the one gig in the UK then fly back to the States. So all the gear would of been hired. They would of only turned up with guitars and items small enough to carry for the return journey.
I know Randy was hiring gear before he made the move to buy his White Marshalls and heads. So he must of come to the UK in 1980 with his pedal board and guitars only. Then Marshall kitted him out in the UK with his new cabs and heads.
distortionplus
Cool Member

Post by distortionplus »

Seems like I actually saw a picture of him sitting on the sofa playing that bass?
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

distortionplus wrote:Seems like I actually saw a picture of him sitting on the sofa playing that bass?
That I've never seen, but anything is possible, if you check the TK link to Iron's post above, it's pretty much every published pic there was over the past 29.5 years.
The only one to answer that would be Zlozower himself...

~T.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:That is Randy's Les Paul case... i would say that this was built for him when he joined the band in 1980.
"Built" for him? Isn't it just an Anvil LP case?

The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Couldn't that be his pedalboard case? (it looks a bit small in wide for being a guitar flight case....)
Check the pic below, on the left of the case there seems to be another case, couldn't that be such a typical 'Gibson' case? (with white 'Gibson' emblem on it)
If he liked to carry the Les Paul with him lots of time, then he maybe preffered a light weight gibson case (?) instead of a typical flightcase that's usual a lot heavier.

The lowest picture (I think from DOTG) shows a case that's what I think is his pedalboard case. When ignoring the difference in 'stickers', can it be the same case?
Attachments
randycoolposterbo3.jpg
dogt12.jpg
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.