The "Lift" and guitarist abuse...

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

whoopiecat
Mass Poster

The "Lift" and guitarist abuse...

Post by whoopiecat »

My lady was with me when I opend the box after getting back from the store and while we were looking through the book, she saw the pic where Ozzy has a two fistfuls of Randy's hair.
To which she exclaimed: "Ouch! Why would he do that?!" I explained it was part of the act, like the lift.
It got me thinking, when did the hair pulling start? I think the few pics I've seen were from the Diary tour, ditto for the lift.
They had some great interactions on the Blizzard tour, but seemed to ramp up the theatrics for the arena shows.
I recall a thread someone had started, requesting pics of Ozzy abusing guitarists, but I believe it died rather quickly.
I don't necessarily need pics, just some insight.
Thanks,
~T.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
AceVader
Cool Member

Re: The "Lift" and guitarist abuse...

Post by AceVader »

It's fun. And the audience reacts to it. My bandmates and I used to bang into each other, play back to back, etc. None of us was without an instrument, so we couldnt do it quite like Ozzy did to Randy, but I dont think he hurt him and I think they were having a good time.

Its imprtant to let the audience see a good performance, and chemistry is part of it. Its an act to a point, but I think with Ozzy and Randy, they were just also having a ton of fun.

As far as the lift, well ..... I always felt tlike that was sort of Ozzy showing Randy off to the world. :)
Last edited by AceVader on Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xk319

Post by xk319 »

Concert bullying, we need to stop it now! I can see the yahoo headline :p
distortionplus
Cool Member

Post by distortionplus »

There is the hair pull from a BOO tour show. I'm not sure which city I have it on video. First time saw it I had to play it again. Ozzy grabs Randy's hair pulls him towards himself then pushes Randy away. I thought how cool is that. One of the greatest if not the greatest teams rock has ever seen IMHO.
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

I wonder if the first "hair pull" was planned on spontaneous. If the later, I wonder how Randy handled it.

In keeping with the "over-analyzing-everything-to-death" style that this board supports, it begs me to point out that Ozzy probably didn't pull as hard as it looks, and never pulled by the roots, so Randy probably didn't mind.

Does anyone know what Randy thought of Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back?
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

Also, what did Randy think of comic books?
Gus
Cool Member

Post by Gus »

I think it probably started for the US Diary tour. Would be interesting to know if they trialed some of these moves on the European Diary shows even though there was no castle, or whether they just worked these up in the December '81 rehearsals.
Jazznroll
Madman

Post by Jazznroll »

Theres some photos from the uk boo tour were he hair yankin, theres a photo from the diary tour were hes rooting him almost, and joe holmes got bit, he did it to all of em apart from this 'gus' guy as far as i know.
xk319

Post by xk319 »

If Randy liked trains, he probably liked Star Wars and Comic books ;)
No1UNo
Cool Member

Post by No1UNo »

"The lift" seemed to progress into hair pulling, culminating in face punching during the Diary Tour. Thank God Ozzy didn't fly airplanes...
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!holy shit i almost pissed myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jazznroll
Madman

Post by Jazznroll »

No1UNo wrote:"The lift" seemed to progress into hair pulling, culminating in face punching during the Diary Tour. Thank God Ozzy didn't fly airplanes...
He probably did on one occasion with him been part of the inner circle it just never got told in public.
GuitarJoe
Cool Member

Post by GuitarJoe »

Dude, Randy got off lucky! Check out what Ozzy does to Jake E. Lee around the 3:07 mark, it's like the WWE!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n06IwwsukYA
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

No1UNo wrote:"The lift" seemed to progress into hair pulling, culminating in face punching during the Diary Tour. Thank God Ozzy didn't fly airplanes...
sarcasm? :twisted:
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

Jazznroll wrote:Theres some photos from the uk boo tour were he hair yankin, theres a photo from the diary tour were hes rooting him almost, and joe holmes got bit, he did it to all of em apart from this 'gus' guy as far as i know.
Did he do it to zakk?? i haven't really seen him do anything like that to zakk.....lets face it zakk is huge compared to randy and jake. Some of the stuff he did to jake as was said does look like wwF (as it was back then)