RR Laughing During AH

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

AndrewT1976
Madman

RR Laughing During AH

Post by AndrewT1976 »

Can't remember what song it was on the AH performance, but I remember Randy looking back at Tommy and laughing at one point. It seems like they are making fun of Ozzy (either a lyric he butchered, or maybe some inside joke).

Anyone able to figure this out, or know the inside scoop?

I've always been curious...
Tito
Mass Poster

Re: RR Laughing During AH

Post by Tito »

it might be ss randy missed a chord and looks around likw thinking whoa!!!!!also at the start of idk he kind of giggles too real quick though..
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

AndrewT1976 wrote:Can't remember what song it was on the AH performance, but I remember Randy looking back at Tommy and laughing at one point. It seems like they are making fun of Ozzy (either a lyric he butchered, or maybe some inside joke).

Anyone able to figure this out, or know the inside scoop?

I've always been curious...
Isn't that at the very beginning of "I don't know"?
Randy is looking back at Tommy and smiling there. :)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Jazznroll
Madman

Post by Jazznroll »

Or suicide solution.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

I was thinking of Suicide Solution when he's flat on a chord. He has this great face like whoops how did I do that? :lol:
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

I'm sure I've mentioned this story, so forgive me if you've heard it before.

A few years back when my site was going strong, a guy contacted me, first via email and then later by phone. My memory has faded, but I seem to recall him as Larry from New York. He told me that he had heard about the After Hours session, last minute on a local radio show and went down. His story went that he was one of only a handful of people that was in the audience at the local cable production studio (BTW, this was long before that was public knowledge, if that adds any credibility for you). He said that Randy, on more than a few occasions, would goof around with the people in the little bleachers, making faces at them and such. He also did mention that they performed the four songs twice, which again wasn't mentioned till much later on. He told me that he chatted with Randy a bit after the shoot and they got on, so Randy invited him to share a cab and go have a drink. I don't remember much else, but it was an interesting story to say the least.
AceVader
Cool Member

Post by AceVader »

cableguyxx wrote:I'm sure I've mentioned this story, so forgive me if you've heard it before.

A few years back when my site was going strong, a guy contacted me, first via email and then later by phone. My memory has faded, but I seem to recall him as Larry from New York. He told me that he had heard about the After Hours session, last minute on a local radio show and went down. His story went that he was one of only a handful of people that was in the audience at the local cable production studio (BTW, this was long before that was public knowledge, if that adds any credibility for you). He said that Randy, on more than a few occasions, would goof around with the people in the little bleachers, making faces at them and such. He also did mention that they performed the four songs twice, which again wasn't mentioned till much later on. He told me that he chatted with Randy a bit after the shoot and they got on, so Randy invited him to share a cab and go have a drink. I don't remember much else, but it was an interesting story to say the least.
Wow. Would love to hear more about that. Very cool story.
Lara Coimbra

Post by Lara Coimbra »

cableguyxx wrote: A few years back when my site was going strong, a guy contacted me, first via email and then later by phone. My memory has faded, but I seem to recall him as Larry from New York. He told me that he had heard about the After Hours session, last minute on a local radio show and went down. His story went that he was one of only a handful of people that was in the audience at the local cable production studio (BTW, this was long before that was public knowledge, if that adds any credibility for you). He said that Randy, on more than a few occasions, would goof around with the people in the little bleachers, making faces at them and such. He also did mention that they performed the four songs twice, which again wasn't mentioned till much later on. He told me that he chatted with Randy a bit after the shoot and they got on, so Randy invited him to share a cab and go have a drink. I don't remember much else, but it was an interesting story to say the least.

Wow, what a great story! Thanks for sharing!
:D
Well, Randy's up to bat, gonna hit me a home run...
Sorry 'bout that, outside, ball one...
Matlike

Post by Matlike »

I've noticed this, as a musician and having things go wrong on stage sometimes I can tell you it happens quickly at the start of I Don't Know. Tommy tries to hit the gong behind him at the start of the song but almost misses it and hits it on the edge, and you can see Randy laughing/smiling with Tommy about it, Tommy turns his head smiling like "man that sucked haha" then you hear Tommy hit it again, like, bang there I hit it! And even Ozzy seemed to notice too cause he is laughing as well.
tone1963

Post by tone1963 »

Geo Sav wrote:I was thinking of Suicide Solution when he's flat on a chord. He has this great face like whoops how did I do that? :lol:
You're correct! :)
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

I Dont' Know - I think Randy is laughing because they know this gig is going to be a joke, and its probably pretty loud in there for that little room :D

Suicide - Yup Randy flatted the climbing riff :) . I think he liked it though because he seemed to do it more in later shows!

Crazy Train - Rudy flubs on the bass riff during the verse, rolls his eyes and gives a little smile towards Randy

Mr.Crowely - Ozzy and Randy are looking at Tommy at the end of the song where he is going nuts on the drums, I dont think either Ozzy or Randy was used to this from Lee and thats why they were laughing in amazement. Tommy and Rudy were still very new in the band and they were all getting used to each so i would bet top dollar on this as the reason they are laughing here :)
Matlike

Post by Matlike »

Shockwave wrote:I Dont' Know - I think Randy is laughing because they know this gig is going to be a joke, and its probably pretty loud in there for that little room :D

Nope, Tommy butchered his gong intro and they thought it was funny :D
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

It's probably funny to them because they were probably talking before the gig like "hey, this is really no big deal, but let's play our best anyways - no mistakes guys." Andd then Tommy misses the gong hit, and they all crack up. That would make sense to me.
Matlike

Post by Matlike »

AndrewT1976 wrote:It's probably funny to them because they were probably talking before the gig like "hey, this is really no big deal, but let's play our best anyways - no mistakes guys." Andd then Tommy misses the gong hit, and they all crack up. That would make sense to me.

for sure.
distortionplus
Cool Member

Post by distortionplus »

Suicide Solution Ok I have a different take. I thought it was a timing flub by Ozzy. If you notice Ozzy singing just before it cuts to Randy you see Ozzy struggling with timing I think. His eyes cutting back and forth. Then cuts to randy where he starts smiling and trying to get everything back on course. It may have been Randy's fault, but I thought it was Ozzy's.

By the way I noticed that the first time I ever watched AH when I had a crappy copy VHS.

By the way I always thought they played a pretty tight set considering the room and stuff.