New Guitar World Randy Cover

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

jdemar02

New Guitar World Randy Cover

Post by jdemar02 »

Nice article in the new guitar world magazine. Max Norman contributes some of his memories on recording BOO and DOAM. I never new Randy used a variac to drop the voltage on his Marshall. You always hear about Eddie doing this. First time I ever heard about this, Max Norman said they dropped the 100 watt Marshall down to 90 or 92 volts it really smokes up the distortion gives it a creamy edge. And the article actually gives Daisley and Kerslake credit!!!!!!!!
hansolo
Mass Poster

Re: New Guitar World Randy Cover

Post by hansolo »

Yes, if I have this correct, Eddie plugged his amp's power plug in the variac or variable AC which has a potentiometer or in this case a variable capacitor from which you can control from 0-120Vac. Setting the variac at 80-90ish Vac allow the amp to bias tubes to saturation under a lower power level. Achieving the end-of-the-world sound without maxing it out. It screams at a lower level...
Whipper
Cool Member

Post by Whipper »

Just picked it up last night, and I was very pleasantly surprised by it! I figured it would just be a rehash of the same old info as is usually the case in magazine articles, but it was actually very interesting, especially with Max Norman's input! What a shame he couldn't have been a big part the documentary!!!
Ric

The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Is this a new (recent) interview with Max Norman or the old interview re-used?

*because I remember an interview in GW with Max (maybe 15 years ago already....) where he talked about Randy using a variac to lower the voltage on his Marshalls. (a trick he probably took from EVH who did that already in 1978....)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
JAY
Cool Member

Post by JAY »

I read the mag at walmart today -what a rehashed piece of crap(same old Max interview back even from 82) even the centerfold is not that great-old interviews and sharon claiming she and RR were a thing and RR was the beard when Thelma was around and it was a 18 month wife swap :oops:-Yuck- Unless I missed something I'm not buying it :evil: What a joke could have been great.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

GW has become People Magazine. Which is why I stopped getting it years ago.
mauk 1

Post by mauk 1 »

JAY wrote:I read the mag at walmart today -what a rehashed piece of crap(same old Max interview back even from 82) even the centerfold is not that great-old interviews and sharon claiming she and RR were a thing and RR was the beard when Thelma was around and it was a 18 month wife swap :oops:-Yuck- Unless I missed something I'm not buying it :evil: What a joke could have been great.
Exactlly..
Did you catch the part when Ozzy was saying that his dad passed away,,, he had been fired from Black Sabbath...AND HIS WIFE KICKED HIM OUT AND DEVORCED HIM when Randy came along... But later in the interview $haron states that .. :?: :?:
ImageImage
Silver Rhoads
Cool Member

Post by Silver Rhoads »

mauk 1 wrote:
JAY wrote:I read the mag at walmart today -what a rehashed piece of crap(same old Max interview back even from 82) even the centerfold is not that great-old interviews and sharon claiming she and RR were a thing and RR was the beard when Thelma was around and it was a 18 month wife swap :oops:-Yuck- Unless I missed something I'm not buying it :evil: What a joke could have been great.
Exactlly..
Did you catch the part when Ozzy was saying that his dad passed away,,, he had been fired from Black Sabbath...AND HIS WIFE KICKED HIM OUT AND DEVORCED HIM when Randy came along... But later in the interview $haron states that .. :?: :?:
Yeah, plenty of misinformation going on. That's why I buy them just for the Randy pics. :lol:

I'm surprised they didn't put out a magazine dedicated to all Rhoads to go along with the box set.
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

Yeah, they need to have a GW feature on Randy where they don't even mention Ozzy's name. They need to transcribe some of his lessons (from the old Musonia tapes - when he teaching). They need to have an in depth discussion on some of his best bootleg performances. They need to discuss his warm-up techniques.

I TOO read the issue at the grocery store. It was pretty lame. Even the cover picture is getting old. Please, give us something new or at least new(er).
AceVader
Cool Member

Post by AceVader »

Theyll never mention bootlegs in GW. Guarantee it. If they arent official releases, GW isnt going to upset the O's by mentioning them.
Silver Rhoads
Cool Member

Post by Silver Rhoads »

They could at least show new photos. There are plenty that haven't been published. I have seen more new photos now than ever before, but mags print the same stuff.
No1UNo
Cool Member

Post by No1UNo »

I was watching the kids this past weekend and thought, let's go to Walmart and see if the July Guitar World is available yet - of course, telling the kids, "lets go look at some toys!"

I found the magazine and slowly wheeled them in their carriage to the toy aisle...then pretty much ignored them for 30 minutes, pushing the carriage up and down the aisle a few feet at at time while I digested and absorbed the article. Yes, this could be a form of child abuse.

I appreciated seeing some new and different photos, but most of the article seemed to be a rehash of things we've read before in numerous tribute articles...except the "beard" thing. That was interesting...Sharon seems to get a kick sharing more and more sexual things, almost like she's pushing someone's buttons. I wonder how the family feels reading stuff like that when the Osbourne's lead everyone to believe they have this great relationship with the Rhoads's.
Silver Rhoads
Cool Member

Post by Silver Rhoads »

No1UNo wrote:Sharon seems to get a kick sharing more and more sexual things, almost like she's pushing someone's buttons. I wonder how the family feels reading stuff like that when the Osbourne's lead everyone to believe they have this great relationship with the Rhoads's.
Well, there is the possibility that she didn't say that at all. Magazines can be a bit crappy and take some truth and bend it to sell the more. Gossip sells, good or bad. I find it hard to believe that someone would talk about something openly when Jodi and Randy were supposed to be in a deep relationship. It could have been a drunken, stress relieving fling, but strange that it would end up in a guitar magazine anyway. It doesn't bother me, but it probably would bother Jodi and Delores. Kelle Rhoads has a great sense of humor like Randy and would probably laugh it off. But I digress. More unseen photos, less text/stories being repeated.
AceVader
Cool Member

Post by AceVader »

I dont care what Sharon says, I dont believe for a minute Randy banged her. I think she to this day WISHES she had some of that. She always talks about how "he was this gorgeous guy" blah blah blah. Right. She was a fat cow, and I dont think Randy 1) was lacking female interest and 2) would have touched Sharon of all people when he clearly was still with Jodi PLUS her being Ozzy's woman. I know other people have claimed it too, but....

I dont buy it and never will.
dasboot

Post by dasboot »

GW did such a great job in 87 but this sucked. All rehash except for the horrible Sharon comments mentioned here. It also pissed me off when she referred to Randy as a 'little shit'. Even the transcription and performance notes have been published before. I have the issue. The private lesson on i dont know live was cool. They could have at least transcribed ylamlay or ysia. And most of the pics wernt good.
"He could interpret blazing renditions of his compositions as easily as taking a breath"-Rudy Sarzo