Talk about boxset here-Not for the faint at heart

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Phineas J

Re: Talk about boxset here-Not for the faint at heart

Post by Phineas J »

Keep in mind, this doc was put together by the "current" Ozzy camp and group of Sharon trustees. Anyone who has had a squabble with Sharon in the past has been left by the side of the road. His new band members are no namer yes men as far as Im concerned and their opinions wasted time in the doc.

Rudy, Tommy, Don, Max, Bob and Lee should have been featured and no one else IMO. I think halford, vai, sixx, and lemmy are great, but really...outside opinion isnt needed here.

Have Max at the console highlighting the tracks.

Dont get me wrong, I am eternally grateful for this box set. It just seems thrown together quickly, and to make Ozzy look more like a genius, when we know he was barely 1/4 of an important ingredient.
halo8th
Cool Member

Post by halo8th »

god, i'm glad i didn't buy this. But i am really excited to pick up the new Diary w/live CD this week.
AceVader
Cool Member

Post by AceVader »

Phineas J wrote:Keep in mind, this doc was put together by the "current" Ozzy camp and group of Sharon trustees. Anyone who has had a squabble with Sharon in the past has been left by the side of the road. His new band members are no namer yes men as far as Im concerned and their opinions wasted time in the doc.

Rudy, Tommy, Don, Max, Bob and Lee should have been featured and no one else IMO. I think halford, vai, sixx, and lemmy are great, but really...outside opinion isnt needed here.

Have Max at the console highlighting the tracks.

Dont get me wrong, I am eternally grateful for this box set. It just seems thrown together quickly, and to make Ozzy look more like a genius, when we know he was barely 1/4 of an important ingredient.
I saw the doc. I agree with this post. It's a terrible shame how they gave ex- colleagues the shaft. One of the reasons I havent bought it.

But this has MY grail - high quality '82 footage. Of Over The Mountain no less. Ive always wanted to see exactly that. If I could have picked anything to have been found and released, it's high quality Diary footage, specifically of Over The mountain and/or the band jam. This has one of those. It's killing me not to have seen it.
Jazznroll
Madman

Post by Jazznroll »

I think the people who have the dvd must feel like the pheonix brothers. Or dont want sueing to death for putting it on youtube.
AceVader
Cool Member

Post by AceVader »

Jazznroll wrote:I think the people who have the dvd must feel like the pheonix brothers. Or dont want sueing to death for putting it on youtube.
30 years after has already been taken down. Last night it disappeared. Sharon is watching, no joke.
Remedylane
Cool Member

Post by Remedylane »

Can someone give a detailed synopsis of the footage? What songs? What length? Overall quality??

I was going to buy the box,set, but some of the comments have swayed me.. Plus, I truly believe that the documentary and footage will be released separately down the road. Makes perfect sense that it would. I feel like us Randy fans are being help hostage by this box set.

Matt
randyrulz

Post by randyrulz »

Dont worry, somebody will rip this DVD and it will be available in no time.........(sorry Sharon)
Remedylane
Cool Member

Post by Remedylane »

Yeah I don't figure it will take long for someone to rip it.. Hell, id pay someone 20 bucks to rip me a copy! Im definately buying the cds. I just dont wanna spend an extra 125 bucks to get 2 lps that I don't want, a book that I don't want, and a stupid pendant. Id gladly pay 15 for each cd, and 20 for the DVD if they would offer to sell it that way.. Sadly, they would rather hold everyone hostage for 150 bucks.. Just my opinion.

Matt
randyrulz

Post by randyrulz »

Your opinion is valid! I feel the same way about the rest of it, I,m buying the CDs but not the Box-Set. I,d pay $40 for the DVD....... :wink:
Silver Rhoads
Cool Member

Post by Silver Rhoads »

SPOILER ALERT!

I've been going through my box set all day today. I almost soiled my shorts when I saw the Diary footage ... 2 songs in their entirety from New Mexico! I've read in the forums about Rudy and Ozzy having most of the screen time for the Palladium footage. Randy is seen plenty though. The songs are cut because the guy had to change the reels. I don't care if it's not crystal clear ... it's f-n never-before-seen Randy Rhoads! It's cool to see Ozzy holding that image and placing it in front of the monitors. I always wondered how it got there.

A few people have mentioned they thought the book was nothing special because they have seen most of the photos. Well, I wasn't disappointed. Just because I've seen many of the photos, doesn't mean I don't want a nice high quality print of them in a book of my own. There are many that have never been shown before as well which is great, including a small photo of Randy during a Blizzard record signing. We've seen a couple of those photos of him in the purple shirt at the signing. The one photo shows him actually signing for someone.

The CDs sound great to me on my Bose headphones! It's cool to have After Hours on there even if it is slightly cut when Ozzy gets disappointed that he cracked during a note. It's really not cut that much. Some of the lyrics in the "book" are incorrect. I believe Bob Daisley has corrected some mistakes on his site. The Randy solo is not from Quiet Riot, it's just him jamming. It could have been while he was working on levels in the studio. It's very cool and the first opening riff is COMPLETELY NEW to me! It almost sounds like something that was used on Bark at the Moon. I don't know why the extended tracks weren't included on the CDs, but there are some in the documentary to satisfy my appetite for all things Randy.

The double-sided poster is Ozzy on both sides. It would have been nice with Rhoads on one side at least. I won't wear the cross, but hey, it's a collectible as part of the set.

I have to say I LOVE it and glad I now own the set! I'm enjoying and appreciating it very much. It's certainly better than not having it at all! If anyone's a Randy fan, I would think they would want to have this as a keepsake. I feel like I just received a Christmas/Birthday present in one.
jckmdcn

Post by jckmdcn »

I'm surprised that there isn't more posted here, this is the greatest Randy release since Tribute.

I just got done watching the documentary and the extra footage and even though I've only seen it once, I will answer any questions. It's all about sharing here.

The fade is the Tonight fade to the end - with a "live band" finish.

The DOAM footage is ok, the cameraman is an idiot, but you do get to see Randy, the sound is good

The palladium footage is 3' and some change, Most songs go to the solo, but you see every song!
except COTG. But you get the bow at the end, it's really something special and for any real Randy fan, money is no issue with this.

questions??
distortionplus
Cool Member

Post by distortionplus »

Well UPS showed up about two hours ago. I went straight to the Doc watched it, then to the footage. I was let down on the Palladium footage. It's historic, and for what it is it's great to have. It just did not impress me. The sound is not good and Randy's playing was not as lively as most boots are. From a footage standpoint it of course is better than what we have had to endure watching in the past, but nothing to go nuts over.

After Hours is like watching it in HD now. Just having this great sounding crystal clear copy in itself is worth a lot.

DOAM footage lets you get the feel of what pro shot footage would look like. Of the new footage I like it the best because you almost feel like your there. Guys its so depressing seeing this from Rudy's side of the stage. If it only could have been from Randy's side. The cameraman sucked as already stated. You keep saying keep it on Randy! Zoom in idiot! I did like the versions of both OTM and Mr.C. I heard him do things on Crowley I had not heard before. Randy's guitar tone is neat and I guess it give us a better impression of his later live guitar tone.

About to go pop in the live cd now. Overall I'm happy with it. If your a RR fan it's a must have.
tone1963

Post by tone1963 »

Sorry for the white border in the pictures.
Seeing the magic between Randy & Ozzy during the 1st solo of Crowley in its entirety is worth the $150 for me.

Remedylane
Cool Member

Post by Remedylane »

Wow.. I think you just sealed the deal for me........... :)
myhero

Post by myhero »

Silver Rhoads wrote:SPOILER ALERT!

I've been going through my box set all day today. I almost soiled my shorts when I saw the Diary footage ... 2 songs in their entirety from New Mexico! I've read in the forums about Rudy and Ozzy having most of the screen time for the Palladium footage. Randy is seen plenty though. The songs are cut because the guy had to change the reels. I don't care if it's not crystal clear ... it's f-n never-before-seen Randy Rhoads! It's cool to see Ozzy holding that image and placing it in front of the monitors. I always wondered how it got there.

A few people have mentioned they thought the book was nothing special because they have seen most of the photos. Well, I wasn't disappointed. Just because I've seen many of the photos, doesn't mean I don't want a nice high quality print of them in a book of my own. There are many that have never been shown before as well which is great, including a small photo of Randy during a Blizzard record signing. We've seen a couple of those photos of him in the purple shirt at the signing. The one photo shows him actually signing for someone.

The CDs sound great to me on my Bose headphones! It's cool to have After Hours on there even if it is slightly cut when Ozzy gets disappointed that he cracked during a note. It's really not cut that much. Some of the lyrics in the "book" are incorrect. I believe Bob Daisley has corrected some mistakes on his site. The Randy solo is not from Quiet Riot, it's just him jamming. It could have been while he was working on levels in the studio. It's very cool and the first opening riff is COMPLETELY NEW to me! It almost sounds like something that was used on Bark at the Moon. I don't know why the extended tracks weren't included on the CDs, but there are some in the documentary to satisfy my appetite for all things Randy.

The double-sided poster is Ozzy on both sides. It would have been nice with Rhoads on one side at least. I won't wear the cross, but hey, it's a collectible as part of the set.

I have to say I LOVE it and glad I now own the set! I'm enjoying and appreciating it very much. It's certainly better than not having it at all! If anyone's a Randy fan, I would think they would want to have this as a keepsake. I feel like I just received a Christmas/Birthday present in one.
Thanks for sharing your view, and thoughts about the box set Silver Rhoads. I know I will totally enjoy and appreciate it too. Looking forward to ordering it soon : )