How Did You Discover Randy Rhoads.....?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Xanadu
Cool Member

How Did You Discover Randy Rhoads.....?

Post by Xanadu »

I, for one, walked into a concert hall having no idea what to expect......I did have an idea that Ozzy's "new band" would probably be some junior version of Black Sabbath..........what hit me in the face was one of the most intense memories that I have. Randy's brilliance was evident within the first few seconds into "I Don't Know"......such an incredible evening, such an incredible memory! That was my introduction to Randy Rhoads.......I've been a HUGE fan ever since!!!
randyrhoadsfan1

Post by randyrhoadsfan1 »

I discovered him when I downloaded crazy train on to my computer.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

well, I first liked Ozzy when I heard Paranoid on a CD years and years ago. But before that I had heard of Randy, I just didnt know he was with ozzy. My father is a fan of Randy, and he played me the spotlight solo from the tribute album, and for years i wanted to know more about him. I said to my dad, who is this guy, and he goes "Randy Rhoads" from then on I tried to find out more about him. I discovered Ozzy and the demonic Crazy Train first... Then I was told he was also in Quiet Riot, so for a fair time I thought Randy was the guitarist on Metal Health, obviously untrue until i found out Carlos was the guitarist.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

I got into the whole Ozzy deal a few years ago
when a friend showed me the BATM concert from 1984 :twisted:
Rob200
Cool Member

Post by Rob200 »

I discoverd him when i was doing a self portrate of myself in my 9th grade art class....and the teacher asked if anyone wanted to listen to the radio...so she turned it to 93.7fm (aka 93X) and there was a song playing (got it right at the guitar solo) and i was like OMG who is playing the guitar? (not even caring of who the vocals where) I was like that is some really amazing guitar playing! then when the song was done the DJ said it was Ozzy Osbourne's "Crazy Train"

Then i was hooked ever since...... 8)
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

When I heard crazy Train on the radio back when Blizzard was released there was this instint draw.I was hooked.
RhoadsOliva

Post by RhoadsOliva »

Well for me I wanted to get into metal in 4th grade cause i was really eager to listen to music. I had a lot of choices from my family who gave me 10 cds they were

Blizzard Of Ozz
Diary Of A Madman (both original not the remasters)
Tribute
Machine Head
Paranoid
Screaming For Vengeance
Rust In Peace
W.A.S.P
L.A. Guns
And Of Course Appetite For Destruction

Sure I Listened to these albums every night for hours but what happened was I couldnt stop listening to Blizzard/Diary/Tribute. They had feeling and everything I was amazed just listening to It.. And I looked at who the guitarist was of those albums were. And I immediatly shouted it out "RANDY RHOADS IS THE BEST GUITARIST!" It all went from there.
R.I.P Criss Oliva And Randy Rhoads.
SixPounder
Cool Member

Post by SixPounder »

I remember being really into Zakk Wylde when I just started playing and he mentioned how much of an impact Randy had on him..So it was a matter of "Randy made an impact on Zakk?..Hes gotta be great"..Sure enough..I check out Mr.Crowley and it blew my mind away
deansolo
Cool Member

Post by deansolo »

Blizzard of Oz...Being a huge Sabbath fan I was very happy to hear that Ozzy was releasing a solo album with a new band. I was thrilled to see Ozzy had Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake from Uriah Heep (as I was a huge fan) and a phenomenal young guitar player from Los Angeles. I'm glad was able to see Randy Rhoads play live twice. The first time in 1981 with Ozzy on the Blizzard of Oz tour at the Fox Theatre in San Diego, California and again a year later at the San Diego Sports Arena on the Diary of a Madman tour. Great memories. I still have the official tour program from the Madman tour. :D
Cat's-Eye pedals now available at Vintage and Rare Guitars, London and Bath, United Kingdom

"Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?"

www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp
typvgs

Post by typvgs »

I picked up tribute, not having listened to any of Ozzy's solo albums previously. I read through the liner notes on the display album, found them intriguing and bought the record.
Tommy
Cool Member

Post by Tommy »

I bought a Metal Edition of "Total Guitar" about 4 years ago. They had tabbed the whole of Crazy Train. Loved it 8) Been a big fan ever since, and will always be! :D
Ivar

Post by Ivar »

When i just started playing guitar i saw a "Top 100 best guitarist" list on some dutch guitar website. Randy Rhoads was on #1 or #2, i don'r remember. I didn't know him so i searched for video's on KaZaA and found Mr. Crowley from the After Hours footage. I was so impressed by the Mr. Crowley solo that i immediately started taking guitar lessons.

Ivar
Kenn159

Post by Kenn159 »

One thing I find interesting about Randy Rhoads and Brad Gillis is i think their best guitar stuff was their live performances .
Many guitarist sound the best in the studio ,from a zillion takes you can always find a good one even for a not so good guitar player .
The best Ive ever heard of Randy and brad was on the king Biscuit flower hour .
They ran a ozzy with Randy one year and a brad with Ozzy the next year.
I recorded the Ozzy with Brad way back then on cassette and reel to reel ,and I guess i should convert to mp3 ,but the problem is the audioquality is not that great after about 14 years on tape ,tape degrades .
I wonder if anyone else has a cleaner version of either one of those King Biscuit concerts ?

If you have ever heard speak of the devil with brad and ozzy ,well the sound is just as killer as it is on king biscuit ,but brad plays very little lead on speak OTDevil , but really lets lose on K9ing Biscuit.
Kenn159

Post by Kenn159 »

Opps
i meant 24 years not 14
rhoadsrulz

Discovering Rhoads

Post by rhoadsrulz »

I first became familiar with Randy's genius after hearing Crazy Train. I have always been a big OZZ fan and RR was a big part of that. I still feel bad that he had to leave us so soon...bl