Randy's favorite guitarists....

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

ShaolinGuitarMaster

Randy's favorite guitarists....

Post by ShaolinGuitarMaster »

I have been a huge Randy fan since Blizzard came out and I will mention 2 of Randy's favorite guitarists to start this thread off. The first being Leslie West of Mountain and the second being Michael Schenker of UFO. If you listen to Michael's guitar solo on the live UFO album/CD "Strangers in the Night" (recorded live in 1978 in Chicago) you can hear that Randy may have "borrowed" some of Schenker's licks. Listen to that whole CD and especially his main guitar solo and you can hear it. I am thinking that Randy owned and really liked this recording. Huge influence or just coincidence?
hansolo
Mass Poster

Re: Randy's favorite guitarists....

Post by hansolo »

Mick Ronson, Jimmy page and EVH. He borrowed looks from Mick, Licks from Jimny and the tapping from Ed. It's more complicated but there is 3...

Happy Rapture!
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I remember reading an interview with Kelli G and he stated that while Randy liked Page's acoustic work, he thought he was overall pretty sloppy.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

hansolo wrote:Happy Rapture!
now there's an oxymoron if ever there was one :lol: :lol: :lol:
Axian
Cool Member

Post by Axian »

NicDots wrote:I remember reading an interview with Kelli G and he stated that while Randy liked Page's acoustic work, he thought he was overall pretty sloppy.
Yeh caint argue that jimmy page lead work was very sloppy at times
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Alcohol and drugs tend to help.
funk49

Post by funk49 »

Leslie West was one of Randy's favorite players and I can understand why. Go to Wolfgang's vault and download the two Mountain Fillmore East shows from 1970 and 1971 and listen to him play. His tone, harmonics, sustain and playing style are awesome! :D
Last edited by funk49 on Sat May 21, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FUNK49
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

How many of Randy's student do you think wanted to learn Page licks? He wrote some of the most memorable riffs and has a large body of work. The breaks in the 2nd half of the Over the mountain solo are very reminiscent of the Whole lotta love breaks. Years after Randy died I became a Zep fan. I really appreciate Page now. Live/on boots his sound is really clean - not really that distorted. He was really inconsistent (I am too). One night he would be on and the next sloppy. Drugs did not help especially in 1977. The 69-75 years are their best years with '73 at their peak. Zeppelin did a far amount on improvisation which makes it interesting to listen to. Almost Like NEW versions! A few SB's are out there too!
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

And the happy rapture is for our friends who find peace in dying and they all get beamed up! I guess they didn't take me. And if Randy worked hard at his playing (studying, playing 8hrs a day or more) was his talent really god-given? Or is that just a fast and loose term and I should be on another site to ask that?
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

I'd say Brian May.
Going back to the japanese documentary,
Kelle says that the first record they owned was the
first Queen record !
distortionplus
Cool Member

Post by distortionplus »

I don't know about Schenker, I would have to give a closer listen. I tried to listen to his music back in the day. It never grew on me, though I do consider him a top notch player. I think May is a definite influence. One QR song in particular sounds like Queen to me. Can't recall the name of it at the moment.

Also while on this topic I tend to think there was a definite difference in European and American Metal players. Is it just me or can anybody else hear a difference/vibe?

Funny when I first heard BOO I didn't think he sounded like anyone else. Most great players don't.
funk49

Post by funk49 »

hansolo wrote:How many of Randy's student do you think wanted to learn Page licks? He wrote some of the most memorable riffs and has a large body of work. The breaks in the 2nd half of the Over the mountain solo are very reminiscent of the Whole lotta love breaks. Years after Randy died I became a Zep fan. I really appreciate Page now. Live/on boots his sound is really clean - not really that distorted. He was really inconsistent (I am too). One night he would be on and the next sloppy. Drugs did not help especially in 1977. The 69-75 years are their best years with '73 at their peak. Zeppelin did a far amount on improvisation which makes it interesting to listen to. Almost Like NEW versions! A few SB's are out there too!
I agree with Solo, Page not only was a great player but a great song writer as well ( I think better song writter than player). How could anybody living in the early seventies as a guitar player not be influenced by his work ? I think the 1975 tour was their best though due to the body of material they played and they seemed more energized in concert. The Earl Court shows from 1975 are some of my favorites.
Funk
FUNK49
Gus
Cool Member

Post by Gus »

Is there any word on what Randy thought of Alex Lifeson? When I hear epic tracks like 'Diary' and 'Revelation' I wonder if maybe he at least checked out '2112'.
SLAGER
Cool Member

Post by SLAGER »

I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that Randy was a huge Glenn Buxton fan. Thats right, the original lead guitarist for Alice Cooper. That always stuck with me through the years and can actually hear some influence on Randy in there. Glenn was much much simpler but very melodic and mixed heavy riffs with wierd but cool sounds
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

well jimmy page may have been sloppy at times but fuck the song remains the same recordings are some of the best live guitar work ive ever heard...his acoustic playing was also great but, cant knock jimmy.....he was the master.
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.