Randy's favorite guitarists....

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Alex
Mass Poster

Re: Randy's favorite guitarists....

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
RRFAN123456789

Post by RRFAN123456789 »

I hear some Ritchie Blackmore influences. Would've been cool to see Radny play Smoke on The Water. He would've put some cool licks, and classical elements into that one.
RIP
Randy Rhoads
12/6/1956-3/19/1982
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

Leslie West also influenced Michael Schenker quite a lot [surprise, surprise...well, not really :lol: ] I love Mountain!!! Leslie´s vibrato was and is, quite astounding; check out Mountain´s "Travelling In the Dark", "Blood Of The Sun" and "Don´t Look Around" to get some clue, just how good his solos were. Or just listen to any Mountain-song for that matter. Leslie´s very accomplished guitar player and he did practise a lot, for what I´ve read... :D
Mikel
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

was looking for a RR quote to use as my sig, and I found this, and thought how approprite:)

"I have a lot of influences from everywhere. I like a lot of classical music and blues rock. As far as the classical, I just like it. I think it’s a real technical thing. I wouldn’t call myself an accomplished classical player at all, though. Again, I never had the patience to go through it. I wish I could be good at it. There are many great players. Eddie Van Halen is great–I don’t want to get near competing with people like him. I love Allan Holdsworth ’s playing. He’s got a lot of great jazz scales. Andy Summers of the Police is definitely unique. Pat Metheny does some great acoustic stuff. John McLaughlin is technically great, but his is not one of my favorite styles. Leslie West was very important to me. He has a great feel. He is powerful and moody. I like Earl Klugh. Jeff Beck can do anything–he can play one note and it’s great. Ritchie Blackmore was great; I loved his expression. I love B.B. King. I like Michael Schenker ’s and Steve Lukather ’s playing a lot. I also like Ronnie Montrose, especially with Edgar Winter. I like the way he bends; I could never bend like that. I liked all the English players in the ’70s who used a lot of vibrato. But I don’t own any rock guitar albums. I listen to a lot of background music that I don’t have to think about. I don’t listen to music to achieve anything from it. I just listen to relax and be social. Mostly I like mellow jazz and classical. If I’m out in public, I like to hear blaring loud rock, but never in my own house. I can’t listen to my own records at home."
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

That's from Guitar Player magazine's Randy tribute issue that came out in November of '82 I believe. Definitely a great quote on this topic.
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

Thank you, as I wasn't sure whom to credit this to. I knew it was from Randy, but I didn't know who he was talking to. I was surprised by a few he mentioned, that's for sure!
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

RRFan4Ever wrote:was looking for a RR quote to use as my sig, and I found this, and thought how approprite:)

"I have a lot of influences from everywhere. I like a lot of classical music and blues rock. As far as the classical, I just like it. I think it’s a real technical thing. I wouldn’t call myself an accomplished classical player at all, though. Again, I never had the patience to go through it. I wish I could be good at it. There are many great players. Eddie Van Halen is great–I don’t want to get near competing with people like him. I love Allan Holdsworth ’s playing. He’s got a lot of great jazz scales. Andy Summers of the Police is definitely unique. Pat Metheny does some great acoustic stuff. John McLaughlin is technically great, but his is not one of my favorite styles. Leslie West was very important to me. He has a great feel. He is powerful and moody. I like Earl Klugh. Jeff Beck can do anything–he can play one note and it’s great. Ritchie Blackmore was great; I loved his expression. I love B.B. King. I like Michael Schenker ’s and Steve Lukather ’s playing a lot. I also like Ronnie Montrose, especially with Edgar Winter. I like the way he bends; I could never bend like that. I liked all the English players in the ’70s who used a lot of vibrato. But I don’t own any rock guitar albums. I listen to a lot of background music that I don’t have to think about. I don’t listen to music to achieve anything from it. I just listen to relax and be social. Mostly I like mellow jazz and classical. If I’m out in public, I like to hear blaring loud rock, but never in my own house. I can’t listen to my own records at home."
Earl Klugh is on Facebook and has a few videos on there. He is a Facebook friend!
camdenlp
Cool Member

Post by camdenlp »

I'm glad someone finally mentioned Earl Klugh
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

camdenlp wrote:I'm glad someone finally mentioned Earl Klugh
the first Super Distortion user 8)
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

I think it's funny that he thinks that he's not a accomplished classical guitarist. He always sells himself short. I think he was his own worst critic. This comes from a guy that whent to classical guitar lessons and ended up showing the teacher stuff and still paid. Not to mention wrote Dee, RME and DOAM. :lol:
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Stiltzkin wrote:
camdenlp wrote: the first Super Distortion user 8)
correcting myself :lol:
The 1st SD user would be a different Earl...Earl Slick :P