'Chippan' noise !

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

The Flying Dutchman

'Chippan' noise !

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Texas Soundcheck
I never really noticed that, but listen at say 1.38 right after the quiet playing with the echo. Quite some humm and hiss there! I think he had to put his amps on 'standby' to be able to speak to someone else on stage there! :P

Just wonder: did Randy use any kind of noise reduction in his rig?

(maybe an 'obsolete' question to some, but maybe he still did....? )

The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
AndrewT1976
Madman

Re: 'Chippan' noise !

Post by AndrewT1976 »

I've noticed that there is always a lot of amplifier "humm" during soundchecks, and for that particular reason is why they usually have them.

I used an SVT bass head on tour that sound men were always asking me to switch the polarity or maybe ran me direct through a box instead of my line out.

I'll bet that Randy did NOT use a noise reduction system. His rig (and the power situation) was probably tweaked from the front of the house guy every night.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

I thought I heard or read he used to turn his volume knob down when not playing.
TheMrAxeman
Mass Poster

Post by TheMrAxeman »

Geo Sav wrote:I thought I heard or read he used to turn his volume knob down when not playing.
that doesn't change the noise the board makes though he would have to have something after the board. and his volume knob is before his board (guitar--->board--->amp)
Wanna trade boots? email randyrhoadsboots@gmail.com
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

He used his volume pedal in between songs. I love the mxr chorus but I had to get rid of the distortion +. The + has too much noise!
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

hansolo wrote:He used his volume pedal in between songs. I love the mxr chorus but I had to get rid of the distortion +. The + has too much noise!
what settings did you have it on??
Axian
Cool Member

Post by Axian »

How clean is randy's playing in this, just amazing legato. Every guitarist really turns their volume knob down with lots of distortion, its just unpleasant hearing a load of screeching lol :)
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Why didn't he use a noise gate?
TheMrAxeman
Mass Poster

Post by TheMrAxeman »

Geo Sav wrote:Why didn't he use a noise gate?
there may be one in the chip pan
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Sorry to sound naive, but what is a chip pan?
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

sytharnia wrote:
hansolo wrote:He used his volume pedal in between songs. I love the mxr chorus but I had to get rid of the distortion +. The + has too much noise!
It (MXR Dist +) was cranked! I still have 'em (one w/LED and one without). I found an old Ross dist. pedal that gave me way better gain w/out the hiss. Also, I use Dimarzio PAF Pro's (was able to crank amp louder without feedback) and recently (what Randy used on his later guits) Seymour Duncan's the JB's in the bridge and the '59 in the neck (Charvel San Dimas stock config). I also have a reverse from the USA Charvel 's stock config with a made-in-Germany Floyd with a rosewood (rare) fretboard but I'm thinking about a maple one. It doesn't sound as good as my Jake white w/black pick guard (a So Cal w/San Dimas pickup config). I love a small amp w/dist and my MXR Stereo chorus. It reminds me of the soundcheck and the quieter parts of QR. :wink: :lol:
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

hansolo wrote:
sytharnia wrote:
It (MXR Dist +) was cranked! I still have 'em (one w/LED and one without). I found an old Ross dist. pedal that gave me way better gain w/out the hiss. Also, I use Dimarzio PAF Pro's (was able to crank amp louder without feedback) and recently (what Randy used on his later guits) Seymour Duncan's the JB's in the bridge and the '59 in the neck (Charvel San Dimas stock config). I also have a reverse from the USA Charvel 's stock config with a made-in-Germany Floyd with a rosewood (rare) fretboard but I'm thinking about a maple one. It doesn't sound as good as my Jake white w/black pick guard (a So Cal w/San Dimas pickup config). I love a small amp w/dist and my MXR Stereo chorus. It reminds me of the soundcheck and the quieter parts of QR. :wink: :lol:
what I have found with my blackstar is to drop the amp gain down to around half and the pedal gain between 0 and 1 with the volume between 9 and 10 (my pedal also has a tone pot and that is on full)....so it really is just boosting what the amp is doing. It tightens up the bottom end and gives a really nice bite to the top end. There is still a little noise but it is easy to control (this is similar to what jake did with the od 1)....I have an old ross chorus pedal that is just awesome sounding (but is also a bit noisy)

chip pan is what the band called randy's pedal board because it was so noisy and the sound was like frying chips (fry's in some countries)
TheMrAxeman
Mass Poster

Post by TheMrAxeman »

hansolo wrote:Sorry to sound naive, but what is a chip pan?
ozzy gave that name to randy's pedal board because it sounded like chips frying in a pan...i think
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Yeh! I remember reading that Ozzy named it that.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

I don't think his pedal board diagram showed it but one of his pedals was probably a master off for the board which would cut any noise from the board back to the amp. Same thing as what a tuner pedal does when engaged. Plus Randy would most likely have to hit this master off when switching guitars. The amp hum is unavoidable. Its there on all amps especially older Marshall's. I can hear it on on many studio albums in the background, it just comes with the territory.