The reason why there isn't more material in the new box

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

deportationblues

The reason why there isn't more material in the new box

Post by deportationblues »

Probably.

Let's forget our feelings for Randy/Ozzy/Sharon/Bob/Lee/etc... for a minute.

1st point: any new, unreleased material needs to have a publishing and mechanical rights negotiated by all parties involved. Hence everyone one who wants to lay claim to writing and performing said work. And this is done for each work independently, in most cases. So until Ozzy/Sharon and Lee/Bob can sit down and hash out a deal, we'll never see any new studio material at all. Case in point: Goodbye to Romance, You Lookin' at Me and RR. RR has only Randy playing, so Randy's estate needs to have an agreement. GTR, it's only Randy and Ozzy performing, so again, Randy's estate negotiates a deal. YLAMLAY there was an agreement in place when they released it as a B-side, so unless all parties want to negotiate a new deal, the original one stands. That's probably why all the "new, unreleased" material vanished, a deal could not be brokered. Likely the same for Bob's grail tapes.

2nd point: any new live material will only feature the Sarzo/Aldridge lineup. Same reasons as above, except that new performance royalty agreements may be negotiated, if so desired. Since the legal precedent is set between Ozzy/Sharon and Bob/Lee, any performance featuring them is highly unlikely to be officially released.

Last point: the most likely scenario of have new material from this era officially released will be when all parties involved are deceased and their respective estates negotiate an agreement. Grim, but the most likely scenario given the statements from all parties involved.

That is my take on the whole thing. Feel free to discuss/scream/rant/flame... :|
dB
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Re: The reason why there isn't more material in the new box

Post by whoopiecat »

Wow, thanks for that input. It makes sense seeing it laid out like that.
Though, I'm left to wonder what the situation is with YSIA, as that was also a B-side, a very long time ago.
I'm guessing if this was the case it came as a suprise to Sharon, as we all saw what the original mock-up was like. This was all planned to be released.
I'm still going with my feeling that YSIA would have been part of the Southampton disc.
I suppose the future is somewhat grim for this stuff, as I don't see an avenue for them to release any of it in the future really, as their opportunity was now.
Their only hope would be if they had some sort of release, where Randy was the focus, for next year.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Why wasn't Crowley, Suicide solution and YSIA released? There were pic discs, tapes and vinyl. They had a deal then. Why not now? I guess the cancer didn't really change her priorities. IMHO, Bob and Lee have consistently gotten the shaft from Mrs. O. and I really thought this was going to be a change of heart or a do the right thing moment. The thought of an official box + grail stuff and/or what could of been. Everyone wins! Unfortunately it's business as usual and "The original guys" (Sharon's words) being put back on still are treated the way they were before they bastardized them!

Any word on the doc?
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

hansolo wrote: really thought this was going to be a change of heart or a do the right thing moment. The thought of an official box + grail stuff and/or what could of been.
Not sure who is to blame... But i really think that was Sharon and Ozzy's intentions with this set. But it didn't work out that way.

It's easy to blame Sharon... but we all don't know what Bob might have been looking for in comp for this stuff.

Just sayin
Live Life Stronger Than Death
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

It sucks that they can't agree on some level. We end up suffering in the end. Can you image the material we would have.
SanDimasCharvel
Cool Member

Post by SanDimasCharvel »

That makes sense db, thanks for that explaination. I thought it was just more bad blood, but to pull the tracks like that had to be because of what you mentioned.

Whoopiecat- according to CD Japan and HMV Japan last year, the BOO live bonus disc was going to have only 10 tracks on it. Could have been the usual BOO tracks plus Iron/Children as 1 track and Paranoid? Strange how YSIA starts out with an "Ozzy Ozzy" chant but ends with "We're going to do some old numbers for you now. See if you remember em". And I agree, since it was previously released, why on earth are they not including it? :evil: The box isn't complete without it. It's the one track they wrote together that will be missing.
SanDimasCharvel
Cool Member

Post by SanDimasCharvel »

Whoopiecat- If you go to this link, you can login and post a comment regarding the box set. I think it's different from the other one you posted on. Don't know if anyone in the Ozzy camp is reading it or anything anywhere else, but it's worth a shot. You'll see my comment about YSIA.

http://www.ozzy.com/us/music/diary-madm ... deluxe-box

You can also send a message to wizard of ozz on the message board on ozzy.com
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

SanDimasCharvel wrote:Strange how YSIA starts out with an "Ozzy Ozzy" chant but ends with "We're going to do some old numbers for you now. See if you remember em". And I agree, since it was previously released, why on earth are they not including it? :evil: The box isn't complete without it. It's the one track they wrote together that will be missing.
I would like it all too. I always though Ozzy said at the end of YSIA "We're gonna do some blues for you" and I was thinking NBM would be next. However, YSIA was not a live song (recorded at soundcheck) so Ozzy's comments were from (I'm guessing) the Southampton '80 gig layered onto that track.
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

deportationblues wrote:Probably.

1st point: any new, unreleased material needs to have a publishing and mechanical rights negotiated by all parties involved. Hence everyone one who wants to lay claim to writing and performing said work. And this is done for each work independently, in most cases. So until Ozzy/Sharon and Lee/Bob can sit down and hash out a deal, we'll never see any new studio material at all. Case in point: Goodbye to Romance, You Lookin' at Me and RR. RR has only Randy playing, so Randy's estate needs to have an agreement. GTR, it's only Randy and Ozzy performing, so again, Randy's estate negotiates a deal. YLAMLAY there was an agreement in place when they released it as a B-side, so unless all parties want to negotiate a new deal, the original one stands. That's probably why all the "new, unreleased" material vanished, a deal could not be brokered. Likely the same for Bob's grail tapes.

2nd point: any new live material will only feature the Sarzo/Aldridge lineup. Same reasons as above, except that new performance royalty agreements may be negotiated, if so desired. Since the legal precedent is set between Ozzy/Sharon and Bob/Lee, any performance featuring them is highly unlikely to be officially released.

Last point: the most likely scenario of have new material from this era officially released will be when all parties involved are deceased and their respective estates negotiate an agreement. Grim, but the most likely scenario given the statements from all parties involved.

That is my take on the whole thing. Feel free to discuss/scream/rant/flame... :|
If Ozzy wrote the lyrics to Goodbye To Romance, that scenario would apply, otherwise all the credited lyric writer/s would all be entitled to a royalty.

Type of Work: Music
Registration Number / Date: PAu000333150 / 1981-09-09
Title: Goodbye to romance / words and music by John Osbourne, Robert Daisley & Randy Rhoads.
Description: 2 p.
Copyright Claimant: Essex Music International, Inc. & Jet Music, Ltd.
Date of Creation: 1980

Names: Osbourne, John
Daisley, Robert
Rhoads, Randy
Essex Music International, Inc.
Jet Music, Ltd.
electricmombie

Post by electricmombie »

deportationblues wrote:Probably.

Well said. You make a lot of sense. Nice job, man. Cheers.
electricmombie

Post by electricmombie »

Plus, with the history of acrimony between Bob, Lee, Ozzy and Sharon, Ozzy and Sharon probably just said "no f***ing way" to being open to negotiate with Bob, or Lee. It's the negating of the past, or the partial truth-telling of it all, with the box set documentary, etc. that just makes you feel s***ty thinking about all of this. I guess we'll never know how it actually is with all of them behind the scenes. Like deportationblues was saying: at this point, we'll have to wait until everyone kicks and when Aimee O. is overseeing future releases of Ozzy's in about thirty years, after Mum and Dad have croaked and Bob's and Lee's descendants strike a deal with Aimee. So, we'll see Southampton 1980, etc. around 2045. lol.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

And will anyone care if the majority of fans are dead by then?

Dudes they are finally releasing a Beethoven lost symphony!
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

This what I have been saying all along....
A fight with Ardens is a fight to the finish. The don't wanna give a penny. That is their MO.

Bottom line, and take it how you want, but the biggest roadblock to hearing ANYTHING new from RR is the Bob Daisley/Lee Kerslake legal klusterf***.

As a fan, I wanna hear and see more. Bob and Lee have become the obstacle. THAT is why they have slid down the popularity charts with me.

I am not Bob's legal council, I am a rock fan, and I have paid in full!
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

shred1 wrote:This what I have been saying all along....
A fight with Ardens is a fight to the finish. The don't wanna give a penny. That is their MO.

Bottom line, and take it how you want, but the biggest roadblock to hearing ANYTHING new from RR is the Bob Daisley/Lee Kerslake legal klusterf***.

As a fan, I wanna hear and see more. Bob and Lee have become the obstacle. THAT is why they have slid down the popularity charts with me.

I am not Bob's legal council, I am a rock fan, and I have paid in full!
Why was Bob in court in the first place? because the Osbournes didn't do the right thing and pay royalties. Should Bob have said, "oh it's ok, I don't want to be paid, but I know you do, so you keep the money, thats ok."....No way, nobody in their right mind would do that.

Bob wants to release the BOO and Diary tapes, Sharon said "NO".. So some how thats Bob's fault?

The bottom line is Sharon, is the main reason you most likely will never hear certain material, because, after the trouble with Bob, which wouldn't have happened except for the fact that the Osbourne's failed pay those who they owed, Sharon hates him, how dare he cause them trouble..!!!

I'm a working musician, and fan, and there's no way in hell I wouldn't claim may pay cheque.
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Bob came forward with the tapes when the box was in the works. He extended a hand to Sharon. She told him no because he wasn't going to hand over the tapes for free and I back him on that.
Bob was looking to help make a good thing even better.
Yet another example of Sharon not wanting to part with money. All she has to do is say yes and share in the credit and the wealth, but she cannot part with cash.
I'm sure there are several people from Ozzy's past that he would like to be friends with and/or write/record with again, but he is unable to, due to his wife blocking the way.
Look at the doc on the DVD, aside from Kerslake and Daisley being absent, there's no Airey, Cook, Norman, Tangye, Mertons or anyone from Randy's family, speaking on his behalf. I am sure there at least a few more I'm leaving out.
That's five other people, aside from Bob and Lee, who were actually present at those sessions and tours, and their exclusion from a historical document such as this is strange.
Though, I would imagine Sharon probably has some sort of problem with each and every one of them, in some way, shape or form.
But then, the folks who were a part of that history would have a different version of the story, one that didn't make Ozzy and Randy out to be the Caped Crusader and the Boy Wonder, that there were a couple of other guys involved, and at one point, they were all buddies, who were part of a band called the Blizzard of Ozz...but then, Sharon would rather have the version told by employees and close friends, that way, it's neater...less to explain and probably less money to pay out, too. The employees are already on salary and Halford and Lemmy don't need the money.
Though it isn't any of our business, I have a feeling if we were able to see the percentage of royalties the Rhoads estate actually recieves through the shrewd business dealings of Sharon, folks would cry outrage.
The way I see it, Sharon is the one blocking the way.
Folks may say it was the Ozzy and Randy show, that no one gave a good goddamn about the bass player and drummer, folks could say the same about Zep being the Robert and Jimmy show, but they wouldn't have gotten very far without Bonham and the amazing Jones. 8)

~T.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!