Randy Review - Interview December 1981

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Randy Review - Interview December 1981

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Randy joined Blizzard of Ozz in November 1979 along with Lee Kerslake and Bob Daisley.Oz had snapped him up as an obvious cornerstone of the man's ambition to build up THE rock supergroup,an ambition he realised when Rudy and Tommy Aldridge joined the band before the first American tour.
Playing the Blizzard of Ozz records,you can't escape Randy's song-writing talents and sparkling musical abilities.Reading the old Sounds magazine features you become filled with sadness for the rare talent we've all lost.
Quoting my own review from the December 1981 issue of Sounds; 'Randy will soon be recognised as the HM guitarist.His playing is confident and versatile-as savage as a bull terrier,as pain-wracked as a tormented soul or as tender as an angel's kiss.Sometimes fluent and free flowing, other times ferocious and frenzied.And his soaring spluttering guitar breaks add a whole new dimensions to set-closer Paranoid;
But on reflection i don't think anyone in the press ever paid Randy enough attention.I suppose that was because he was so modest and unpushy that he was ultimately over-shadowed by the flamboyance of his comrade Ozzy.He was just happy to take a backseat to the wonderful over the top totality of the Blizzard experience.
The touring might have been a strain but to Randy it made everything worthwhile:'I was so proud when we played Los Angeles,' he said 'I've never seen anything like it.The kids were standing all the way through the show.That meant a helluva lot to me.Ozzy told me we were gonna be huge here but i never thought we'd go down as good at home as we had done in England because English audiences are phenomenal.
But it's been standing ovations every night.And i was really proud of the gold records.Even though it's all been real hard work,that was the real reward.
'Everybody's so crazy,every night's like insanity.I'm always looking to find a spark from the audience.Most of the time you can't avoid it and even if you can't get it some nights you just have to try and grab what you can.A bad show for Ozzy is still great from what i've seen,crowdwise;
But he never appreciated the attentions of the inevitable groupies. 'I find that scene really intimidating,I like talking to people,but i don't know what to say to a lot of these girls.In a way it's great that they're there,but it's not for me.I enjoy more getting to know people.I've got a bit of self-respect and pride...I've seen chicks who've been with every band i've toured with-I'd be embarresed to show my face.'He was plainly a lot happier discussing his guitars,his Les Paul's,his polka dot V and his own ever improving style.'Ive become much more moody in my playing.In between the two albums my style has changed alot.I think it's getting stronger and more self-confident.I enjoy just playing what i feel,and with the new band being so tight now,it gives me a lot of scope to try out new ideas,new feelings.
'Teaching guitar changed my whole attitude to playing.It made me think about what i was playing more...and,of course i had to force myself to learn more and more all the time to keep ahead of the kids i was teaching.I really enjoyed it .i'll probably go back to teaching some day,but i know i'm gonna love being with Ozzy for at least the next four years.
'It's very easy to get jaded and forget who you are in this business,but that's impossible with Ozzy because i don't think he's ever lost touch with the people.He's a real genuine person,besides being a lunatic!!.
Typically one of Randy's greatest pleasures on the long US tours was stopping off at obscure clubs and jamming with whatever band were playing.'Its great just to walk in and play with a young band.It's even better when, as has happened a few times, you walk in and they're playing one of our songs.I really get a big kick out of that.'
And as for his ambitions;'Someday,i'd like to do a solo album with lots of different styles.Get a few great musicians to work with and let myself go as far as i can..But at the moment i'm having such a real good time i'm not even thinking ahead.It's all happening so quick...it all keeps rolling.It's totally great.There's nothing i'd rather be doing'
Randy Rhoads was a rare talent;a maestro behind the mayhem.With his death rock n roll has lost a gentle man of considerable ability.Everyone who loves rock music will mourn his passing.
Garry Bushell 1985
These words are a comfort to us all, don't you agree :lol:
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

:arrow:
Last edited by cableguyxx on Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xanadu
Cool Member

Post by Xanadu »

GuitarIdol...Thanks for the interview. A very good read. Thanks again...
".....the moment Randy Rhoads walked out on stage, you knew you were WITNESSING something IMPORTANT."
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Nice read! Thnx! 8)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Jake_E_Lee
Cool Member

Post by Jake_E_Lee »

Ive always loved the way Randy was so modest, whereas you get people like Zakk who think they are the ultra best.
Charvel65

Post by Charvel65 »

The writer didn't understand why Randy didn't get the recognition he deserved.

Here's why I think Randy didn't get the recognition....

Blizzard came out in 1981. Diary in 1982. This is the same time the Euro techno pop (Tainted Love et. al) was sweeping America. Disco was fading fast.

The type of music Randy was doing was not that popular... yet. The LA hair band scene was still in its infancy.

Let's remember back to what rock was hot.... You had Van Halen. AC/DC had just released their mega album Back In Black. Pink Floyd had The Wall. Other than those, rock was still clawing itself back up.

Let's not forget that the press may have not been too sure about Ozzy himself. The only press Ozzy could get was biting heads off of bats, and peeing on the Alamo.

These are just my thoughts...
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

[quote="Charvel65"]The writer didn't understand why Randy didn't get the recognition he deserved.
I don't know if you've heard of the writer Garry Bushell ??.But he was a very good friend to Randy and Ozzy.But what made this guy a little bit special was the fact that he loved Rock HM music.So when he interviewed bands he'd not just met them for 5 minutes before the interview,he was well rehearsed being a big fan of the bands at the time and even going on the piss with the likes of Pete Way and Ozzy.I've seen photos of Garry with Def Leppard Motorhead UFO Iron Maiden just to name a few.So i think i can say that the writer did understand Randy as far as recognition goes.Ozzy was a little bit more with the press then pissing on the Alamo and biting bats.He was a name everyone was talking about and selling out like faster then Black Sabbath ever did,the hype of an Ozzy concert coming to town had every religious fanatic queing up to protest about him being in league with Satan etc.I don't know about LA but the Music scene for HM Rock in the UK was probably on the eve of being at its best in the early 80's i had never seen so many bands coming to my town.The NWOBHM was taking off in a big way with bands like Saxon MSG Motorhead
Judas Priest Iron Maiden etc and the rest is history...
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

[quote="cableguyxx"]this has always been my favorite Randy interview. Thanks for typing it up for others to enjoy! I know this one is hard to come by.
I think the whole interview was only ever printed in the Sounds music magazine in April 1982.Randy died the previous month but the mag went out a month in advance.So it was officially the last interview Randy done..
Charvel65

Post by Charvel65 »

"But on reflection i don't think anyone in the press ever paid Randy enough attention.I suppose that was because he was so modest and unpushy that he was ultimately over-shadowed by the flamboyance of his comrade Ozzy.He was just happy to take a backseat to the wonderful over the top totality of the Blizzard experience."

I was just stating why the press may not have appreciated Randy. Sorry if I didn't state it clearly enough.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Charvel65 wrote:"But on reflection i don't think anyone in the press ever paid Randy enough attention.I suppose that was because he was so modest and unpushy that he was ultimately over-shadowed by the flamboyance of his comrade Ozzy.He was just happy to take a backseat to the wonderful over the top totality of the Blizzard experience."

I was just stating why the press may not have appreciated Randy. Sorry if I didn't state it clearly enough.
I think Randy did OK really,as far as being recognised as a great guitarist.He managed to have his own promo's and press packs and photo shoots which for a guitarist in the Ozzy Osbourne band was a good achievement.He was really unknown to the masses until he joined Blizzard of Ozz.How many guitarists get the chance to upstage the lead singer in a band unless your Ritchie Blackmore or Michael Schenker.But like alot of people who unfortunately die they become more of an icon like Jim Morrison and Jimi Hendrix.Randy was so unfortunate not to have the time to shine like the others which is such a pity because his music could of only getting better,and his solo project idea that would of been something special..
banditbrooks

Post by banditbrooks »

I've hear this part of the interview many times

"Typically one of Randy's greatest pleasures on the long US tours was stopping off at obscure clubs and jamming with whatever band were playing.'Its great just to walk in and play with a young band.It's even better when, as has happened a few times, you walk in and they're playing one of our songs.I really get a big kick out of that"

But I havn't heard anybody tell some of the actual stories of of him doing that. It would be unbelievable if your playing a cover on stage and one of the actual people from the band came up and played with you!!!
***20yr Cndn Boxer ...Randy Rhoads = when I 1st heard him playing on the radio it was too amazing... (within a month I got my own 1st guitar - a Jackson!!!)
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

banditbrooks wrote:I've hear this part of the interview many times

"Typically one of Randy's greatest pleasures on the long US tours was stopping off at obscure clubs and jamming with whatever band were playing.'Its great just to walk in and play with a young band.It's even better when, as has happened a few times, you walk in and they're playing one of our songs.I really get a big kick out of that"

But I havn't heard anybody tell some of the actual stories of of him doing that. It would be unbelievable if your playing a cover on stage and one of the actual people from the band came up and played with you!!!
I've just found this in the archives which is making me think how only a handfull of people have ever came forward and shared their stories. Only about 6 people i have read about who actualy had lessons from Randy. (How many people did Randy teach ?) But i don't think any people have ever came forward who managed to jam with Randy while on tour. Yeah we have heard the strories from close friends like Frank who is a big miss at UR :cry: i remember Frank's postcard that was a massive exclusive at the time.

MATT i'd love to hear the classical teachers accounts from the 1980 UK tour who gave Randy a lesson and he ended up giving them one..HE HE.. Any news with that one mate ?. Just over the time UR & TK have been up and running it would of been a bit of a magnet for the guys and girls who will be no spring chickens these days. Get on the net and share these memoirs. We can only wish and hope.... :?
The One
Cool Member

Post by The One »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:
Charvel65 wrote:I don't know about LA but the Music scene for HM Rock in the UK was probably on the eve of being at its best in the early 80's i had never seen so many bands coming to my town.The NWOBHM was taking off in a big way with bands like Saxon MSG Motorhead
Judas Priest Iron Maiden etc and the rest is history...
How true.Those were magical years for heavy Metal. It was a great new movement and I'm glad that I has old enough to experience it and call it MY generation !

ImageImage
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Federaljim/4Stacks.jpg[/img]
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

The One wrote:How true.Those were magical years for heavy Metal. It was a great new movement and I'm glad that I has old enough to experience it and call it MY generation !
Yeah it was a fun time and i just wish i had the same buzz when going to a gig now.It was an exciting time, thinking your favourite band are coming to your town. I would count the days/months like a prisoner on death row counting down the days LOL! It's weird how young people ask me what was it like in the 80's ?. I suppose its in reflection of the flower power period which blossomed out of the 60's. You cannot really explain it you would of had to of been there. Happy Days :wink: :lol:
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

R A N D Y R H O A D S ! ! !
Mikel