Blizzard and Diary 30th Ann Expanded Vinyl Announcement!

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

SanDimasCharvel
Cool Member

Blizzard and Diary 30th Ann Expanded Vinyl Announcement!

Post by SanDimasCharvel »

:D

Ozzy Osbourne Named The Record Store Day Ambassador 2011

February 22, 2011

Record Store Day is proud to announce the appointment of Ozzy Osbourne as the Record Store Day Ambassador 2011. "I now have the power to command you to attend Record Store Day, April 16th. Be there!" Go to http://www.recordstoreday.com right now for a special message from the Ambassador himself.

As one of the most iconic figures in pop culture, Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductee and multi-Grammy winner Ozzy Osbourne has sold more than 100 million albums worldwide, approximately 50 million with his seminal metal band Black Sabbath and the rest as a solo artist, many of which were initially released on vinyl. On any given day you can hear Ozzy's music blasting at sporting events, in the movies, on the radio, in TV commercials, video games or on your iPod.

The folks at Record Store Day couldn't be more pleased than to have this true rock legend whose career has spanned four decades and whose music continues to be relevant today, as evidenced by 2010's SCREAM (Ozzy's 10th solo album, which entered the charts in the Top Ten in seven countries) and his in-progress 18-month world tour--as this year's ambassador. "The Record Store Day Ambassador's main purpose is to claim the mantle of greatness that conveys the majesty of the amazing array of releases made on the world's only holiday devoted to music. We were thrilled when the inaugural position was held in 2009 by the Eagles of Death Metal front man Jesse "Boots Electric" Hughes, and was then followed in 2010 by QOTSA/Them Crooked Vultures' Joshua Homme," says Record Store Day co-founder Michael Kurtz. "We really didn't know who could top this trajectory of camp and circumstance and, needless to say, we were gobsmacked when Ozzy stepped up to the plate."

Ozzy fans who come out to support Record Store Day will have the first chance to purchase a special 7" vinyl single of Diary of a Madman's "Flying High Again" (with a live version of "I Don't Know" as the B side), along with full-length vinyl versions of the newly expanded 30th anniversary editions of his Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman albums.

Long revered by rock fans around the world, Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman form the cornerstone of Ozzy Osbourne's career as a solo artist and include the groundbreaking union of Ozzy and the late guitar prodigy Randy Rhoads. These two albums created a template for hard rock in the 1980's and beyond. "Crazy Train," the first single from Blizzard of Ozz, has become one of Ozzy's musical signatures, a perennial on the rock playlists and as part of Ozzy's live performances. 30 years later, we are celebrating these releases and this special partnership.

For more information on exclusive Record Store Day events, products and participants, visit http://www.recordstoreday.com

Record Store Day is managed by the Music Monitor Network and is organized in partnership with the Alliance of Independent Media Stores (AIMS), the Coalition of Independent Music Stores (CIMS) and celebrates the culture of independent record stores by playing host to in-store events/performances, signings and special product releases on a global scale. Record Store Day takes place annually on the third Saturday of April.

Record Store Day Sponsors: Crosley Radio, EMI Distribution, Fontana Distribution, Furnace MFG, NARM, RED Distribution, Sony Music, Universal Music Distribution, Vivendi Entertainment, WEA Distribution, Alternative Distribution Alliance and Warner Bros. Records.

Courtesy of http://www.sleazeroxx.com and http://www.recordstoreday.com
Axian
Cool Member

Re: Blizzard and Diary 30th Ann Expanded Vinyl Announcement!

Post by Axian »

Interesting has the time come!!!!

April 16th guys sounds interesting perhaps thats a rough release date and if they have set this date to sell versions of the 30th anniversary then surely they must be coming out this year, 2 months away!!
halo8th
Cool Member

Post by halo8th »

thats nice and all....but again....nothing new.
AeolianMad

Post by AeolianMad »

So the 30th anniversary albums with be on Vinyl?
12.6.56-3.19.82
dmnjr
Cool Member

Post by dmnjr »

Dude, we're talking about the Osbournes. It's going to be released on every medium available. Stay on the lookout for 8 track!

On a serious note, this could start getting interesting!
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!8TRACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!that was nice D!!!!!
Jazznroll
Madman

Post by Jazznroll »

Yea and that new footage will be on betamax or reel to reel.
Silver Rhoads
Cool Member

Post by Silver Rhoads »

Sent to me by Record Store Day rep:

"Ozzy Osbourne, who is serving as Ambassador of Record Store Day 2011, is releasing an exclusive 7” single for record stores on that day, and those stores who choose to bring them in will also be the first place to purchase vinyl reissues of the original recordings of Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman. The expanded anniversary editions of those titles, on CD, will be released in May."

So the vinyl editions are regular re-issues. The CDs with the bonus stuff is supposed to be in May. I wonder if CD Japan has this info.

Not all record stores will be participating in this Record Store Day promotion, so I'm not exactly sure how available the vinyl will be. I'm sure the CDs will be plentiful.
sik_kreations
Cool Member

Post by sik_kreations »

Jazznroll wrote:Yea and that new footage will be on betamax or reel to reel.
\

or in a fancy flip book with stick man ozzy and randy....
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I cannot understand why this is being done so 'low key'. After all the hype and the promise of an exclusive cd + dvd package. It's going back to the original vinyl rerelease. I don't know, i feel like i've been offered a banquet. But now i'm in the servents quarters with a party sausage on a stick. Again we are being offered snippets of info, when we all want to see the full picture. No promo posters seen or advertising anywhere and it's coming out in 2 months time. :roll:
Axian
Cool Member

Post by Axian »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:I cannot understand why this is being done so 'low key'. After all the hype and the promise of an exclusive cd + dvd package. It's going back to the original vinyl rerelease. I don't know, i feel like i've been offered a banquet. But now i'm in the servents quarters with a party sausage on a stick. Again we are being offered snippets of info, when we all want to see the full picture. No promo posters seen or advertising anywhere and it's coming out in 2 months time. :roll:
This would not surprise me at all, I mean no one really cares about the re releases as much as us lot. We think of it as the holy grail but to others its just some footage of a guitarist ( if their is footage ). These albums have been re-released before and its not like a new ozzy album so I doubt their will be much promotion.
AceVader
Cool Member

Post by AceVader »

Axemeister wrote:
GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:I cannot understand why this is being done so 'low key'. After all the hype and the promise of an exclusive cd + dvd package. It's going back to the original vinyl rerelease. I don't know, i feel like i've been offered a banquet. But now i'm in the servents quarters with a party sausage on a stick. Again we are being offered snippets of info, when we all want to see the full picture. No promo posters seen or advertising anywhere and it's coming out in 2 months time. :roll:
This would not surprise me at all, I mean no one really cares about the re releases as much as us lot. We think of it as the holy grail but to others its just some footage of a guitarist ( if their is footage ). These albums have been re-released before and its not like a new ozzy album so I doubt their will be much promotion.

Disagreed. People like us are more vocal about it, and we spend more time thinking about it. However, I know plenty of people that I interact with on a daily basis that would IMMEDIATELY go and buy new footage of Randy Rhoads. Here are a few quotes from another message board I belong to, where most of them dont even like metal.

---"I absolutely fucking love Schoenberg. People (other musicians) have said that some of our songs often have all 12 chromatic notes played with equal "weight", with no clear key centre. That's a direct rip from Schoenberg.

I love Randy Rhoads too.
"

---"Yeah, those 3 albums (including the live one) are special stuff. I don't really care for anything I've heard of Ozzy's post-Randy."

---"The quality of the songs, and the pyrotechnics of the solos speak to themselves. But what really gets to me about Randy's playing is that his solos were always thematic, always cohesive, always developed, and were always economic. They're very lean, and nothing is wasted, even when it is over the top. That's a very rare thing for a rock soloist to have, and I honestly can't think of many who've really had it. Hendrix, a few guys from the Allman Brothers, Peter Green, Richard Thompson, possibly Gilmour...

The guys who followed with Ozzy had flash, feel, and style... but they were all brawn, and no brains. And I get bored with that, because virtuosity is easy enough. I feel the same way about EVH, honestly. Although he had more personality and charisma than most.
"

" Have you heard that Ozzy is releasing a 'new' live album with Randy on guitar?

I guess they found the audio from some concert in 1981, I think it may be the full concert of the extended live single he released back in '81 that had Mr. Crowley, You Said It All, and Suicide Solution....but I'm not totally sure about that
"

Ant then the responses: ---"I hadn't. That would be pretty cool to hear... "

---".that would be incredible. The first song I heard of that line up was the live single of "Mr. Crowley"...totally blew me away..it's still the best version I've heard I think. "

I could go on, this is just a snippet of conversations on another forum I hang out on. Again, they are mostly NOT metal fans. Most of them think shred guitar is horrible. Rhoads, however, is almost universally recognized among guitar players as one of the best ever. People care. Especially musicians. LOTS of people will buy this. There are many, many more Rhoads fans out there that dont ever come to a forum or actively put it out there. We're just the really extreme ones.

Delores, Sharon, and Ozzy.....if you put it out there, it WILL sell.
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Agreed, aside from the non-metal fans you had pointed out and headbangers in their forties, there are also actual rock stars to consider.
The best example of what I mean is this: For those who saw Maiden's "Flight 666" doc, if you recall, there were folks like Kerry King backstage at the Forum who were freaking in anticipation for the show to start.
It makes you think: "Wow, he's a big fan, just like me!" Well, of course. If these two albums are restored to their original glory, with extras, whether audio, video or both..it'll go through the roof.
I'm absolutely baffled why this man's legacy has been handled so terribly. The last official item to come out that was meant for all fans would have to be Tribute, and that was nearly a quater of a century ago. I was a nineteen year old kid, four days deep in Navy boot camp up in Great Lakes, IL. when that was released.
I had to wait til graduation in mid June before I could buy it!
The guitars are nice, the amp is nice, it's good to see Randy's name out there again, but most people have no use for them, let alone afford them.
I guess fans are cautiously optimistic at best. Ozzy, Inc and the Rhoads Estate aren't waiting on the fans, that's for sure, most are ready to hop in line on their lunch break with cash in hand.
They just need to quit fooling around with who gets paid what, as they all stand to make an awful lot of money.
Last edited by whoopiecat on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

Amen Brother
halo8th
Cool Member

Post by halo8th »

whoopiecat wrote:Agreed, aside from the non-metal fans you had pointed out and headbangers in their forties, there are also actual rock stars to consider.
The best example of what I mean is this: For those who saw Maiden's "Flight 666" doc, if you recall, there were folks like Kerry King backstage at the Forum who were freaking in anticipation for the show to start.
It makes you think: "Wow, he's a big fan, just like me!" Well, of course. If these two albums are restored to their original glory, with extras, whether audio, video or both..it'll go through the roof.
I'm absolutely baffled why this man's legacy has been handled so terribly. The last official item to come out that was meant for all fans would have to be Tribute, and that was nearly a quater of a century ago. I was a nineteen year old kid, four days deep in Navy boot camp up in Great Lakes, IL. when that was released.
I had to wait til graduation in mid June before I could buy it!
The guitars are nice, the amp is nice, it's good to see Randy's name out there again, but most people have no use for them, let alone afford them.
I guess fans are cautiously optimistic at best. Ozzy, Inc and the Rhoads Estate aren't waiting on the fans, that's for sure, most are ready to hop in line on their lunch break with cash in hand.
They just need to quit fooling around with who gets paid what, as they all stand to make an awful lot of money.

I agree. Although i don't think there'd be a ton of product sold, it shouldn't matter. These f-ing people, FAMILY included, are just killing every project discussed, existing or not, just stomping all over it.
As for Ozzy.....surprisingly, he doesn't seem to give 2 shits about any of it. I'm starting to be of the belief that this phantom "footage" doesn't even exist. Shame on everyone.
I also agree about the guitars and such. Hell, not everyone even plays. They're not going to go and spend 3 grand on a guitar.

Jesus, they can't even just get a g****mn documentary together?