why didn't RANDY DIDN'T GO "FLOYD" ON THE PDV???

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

thepolkadots

Re: why didn't RANDY DIDN'T GO "FLOYD" ON THE PDV???

Post by thepolkadots »

solos, as far as stage presence goes, it's really ironic how you knock the lessons guy sitting in a chair for not having stage presence, because i seen your your youtube clips of you playing it and you also have no stage presence you look like a overweight slob, the sight of you certainly added nothing to your crappy performance of mr crowley, even funnier is that if you didn't say that was mr crowley you were trying to play I would have never guessed it because it sounds NOTHING like the Mr Crowley solo. Besides we weren't talking about "stage presence" we were simply talking about being able to duplicate the music of Randy Rhoads with accuracy, note for note as it's written on the sheet music. Your tone sucks too, sounds nothing like Randys. See you are typical, you were losing the accuracy argument with me so then you tried to change the subject to stage presence, well you just lost that one too, cause I'd rather here a 100 year old ugly man in a wheelchair nail Randys solos note for note with no stage presence than to hear your miserable attempt at Mr Crowley, it sounded like more random noise than anything musical. Dude you truly suck on guitar, give it up. I really think you may be retarted or mentally challenged, in your video you do look like you have down syndrome, or someone who spent alot of time huffing gas. YOu just ain't all there boy, and what is there ain't right.
thepolkadots

Post by thepolkadots »

as far as your video clip with trem usage, i don't care about anything other than what's on the Tribute CD, so stay on subject. The Tribute CD is all that matters to me, it was Randys best. I've listened to laot of Randys boots on here and still havent heard any that are as good as Tribute.
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

thepolkadots wrote:Your tone sucks too, sounds nothing like Randys. See you are typical, you were losing the accuracy argument with me so then you tried to change the subject to stage presence, well you just lost that one too, cause I'd rather here a 100 year old ugly man in a wheelchair nail Randys solos note for note with no stage presence than to hear your miserable attempt at Mr Crowley, it sounded like more random noise than anything musical. Dude you truly suck on guitar, give it up. I really think you may be retarted or mentally challenged, in your video you do look like you have down syndrome, or someone who spent alot of time huffing gas. YOu just ain't all there boy, and what is there ain't right.

You DO know Randy stressed individuality, right? Just because someone can mimic Randy's tone and playing style means that you can copy things. It doesn't make you a good guitarist.

Solos is his own man, he has his own playing style, and he has his own tone.

Also, telling him that he just outright sucks and that he should give up guitar are idiotic things to say. Give advice to him on his playing, don't just tell him to quit. :roll:
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

@ offtopic
thepolkadots and solos, if you are only talking to each other about each other, could you do it with private messaging? These conversations are a bit off topic and I don't think fans that are interested in some Randy topics are really interested in these arguments about who is better... And if you do want to continue here (thepolkadots) could you make 1 post instead of 5, makes it easier to read for those who are interested in this conversation. And please do not include me into this discussion now ;).
thepolkadots

Post by thepolkadots »

To Cryptic Night: I know what you are saying, but the topic we are talking about now is who is the best at duplicating what Randy Rhoads did, not putting any of your own spin on it or anything, but who can come closest to reproducing a carbon copy of the Tribute CD live. Of course that wasn't what the original thread was about, but it has evolved into that now.

To Stewie: I feel that the posts are relevant, no it's not about private messsaging, I don't believe in doing the PM thing for this, Solos has tried to prove me wrong on this Trem thing, and I won't stand for it, again I am only talking about the Tribute CD, I have been listening to the Tribute CD ever since it was 1st released religously, I know it like the back of my hand. I also know the difference between someone harldy ever bothering to touch the whammy bar and someone actually utilising it. No one will ever change my view that Randy really didn't use the whammy bar, doing a dozen or so half step bends on the tribute cd does not constitue as real use of the whammy bar, as real being defined by my definition of real. Calling Randy a tremolo bar user would be the same as calling him a big wah pedal user, hell he only used the wah pedal as a filter really on a couple chords in I don't KNow and that was pretty much it, it was pretty much a waste of space on his pedalboard as he really wasn't making use of it. There's a difference between making use of something and using it if you know what I mean. And it is on topic because this is about why didn't Randy use a Floyd Rose.

1. The Floyd Rose was too new at the time
2. He was trying to distance himself from EVH
3. He didn't really have time to install it on one of his guitars with his busy schedule
4. He didn't like to rush into things
5. He didn't really care as he wasn't a heavy trem bar user anyway, hell even his last black jackson made for him had no trem bar, I think Randy was trying to get away from the trem bar all together, his favorite guitar was the les paul.

Those are the reasons I believe in, with the most emphasis and weight being put on #5.

As far as me not posting anything in 1 post, well that's because I don't think of everything I wanna say in one post, but really I don't see how it makes this harder for anyone to read, and hey, it's my own idividual way of doing it.

Myself, I believe in being 100% original, just as Randy stressed others should do.

BUT, I also believe if you are going to play a Randy Rhoads solo, you should forgo all individuality and play it note for note just like Randys recordings. If you are going to play someone else's music do it right and exact, note for note.

If you are going to compose your own music & songs, then by all means be 100% original.

And yes I do disagree with the person that said Randy wasn't 100% original. And nor do I care with what Randy said about Flash or EVH.

The way I see it Randy was 100% original and all of his stuff minus a few blues based licks were very classical sounding, and I never heard anyone playing classical guitar in that context until I heard Randy.

EVH was more blues based, and sloppy at that, plus EVH was all about the Flash.

I like EVH with DLR but for totally different reasons than I like Randy Rhoads for, to me they are night and day.
WAR IN D

Post by WAR IN D »

There are two tried and true adages that come to mind with regard to discussions such as these on internet forums:

1: Arguing with idiots is futile. They'll just bring you to their level, and then beat you with experience.

And...

2: Internet arguements are like the Special Olympics... Yeah, you might win but you're still retarded.

Oh, and this will be my only comment on this little "discussion".. Who the fuck cares how much Randy used his trem.. is it really worth getting this worked up over. Seriously??

Take that for what it's worth. Peace..
thepolkadots

Post by thepolkadots »

As far as Solos is concerned and who can play better, I will be posting a video of me playing the solos for Mr Crowley as played on Tribute and you all can vote on who's the most accurate note for note, and that will be the end of that, I will post a video and let the music do the talking.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

how about this?alot of us are players...some good some not so good...i dont think it should go into who's beter and who sucks...we should still try to respect each other and have a decent conversation no matter what the topic is about...just my opinion on this...and im speaking in general not at all pointing fingers..
Solos

Post by Solos »

Romeo is trying to suck me into arguing with him by putting me down. Maybe I can be famous and be a target in one of his insult videos! That would be awesome!

As far as the Crowley performance that I posted, the video was shot with a camcorder about 25 yards away. Camcorder mics are terrble so anyone with half a brain would realize that you can't get a true representation of the tone. Not only that, boucing the video down to a size that was acceptable to youtube in 2006 meant keeping it below 10MB. All of that compression destroys any quality that may have been there to begin with, considering how the sound was captured. I used a single Rectifier loaded with EL34's through a Mesa cabinet with V30's, and my guitar was a stock USA RR1. Pretty good gear by anyone's standards. As far as performance is concerned, the backing band was made up of two 14 yr olds that weren't too concerned about playing it at the right speed. We were playing it at probably 140, and the actual song is maybe 106. I had to play the solo fast to keep things in time... Trying to do some clever phrasing was out of the question. Did I try to play it exactly like Randy? Nope... I learned the solos years ago when I was in my teens, and knew what key I was playing in and went for it. I don't need to read a tab book to learn stuff... I use my ear and some basic theory knowledge by analyzing the chord progression to get me though when I do covers... musicians to that sort of thing...

Losers use tremelo bars? Being a big SRV fan I'm surprised you would say that. You're an asshat. Randy used the bar quite a bit... Romeo just has a tin ear or didn't see notations in a tab book, even after I pointed out obvious examples in Crazy Train. I could show you the rest of the occurances in Randy's Ozzy catalog, but I'm not gonna waste my time trying to prove something to that retard.

Romeo couldn't give me advice because he's a terrible musician and guitar player, not to mention terrible at life in general. The guy is a looser with nothing else to do but act like an ass on internet forums. If he was so great, why are the comments disabled on all his videos? Hmmm... must be because he doesn't want anyone to see all those compliments.

As far as Randy Chambers is concerned, I don't know him. I just think he did a great job in that Ozzy tribute. Anyone that says different is just jealous or has a personal vendetta against him. He's a good player for sure. I love the internet and all the "virtual" guitar heros on these forums. Half the guys that run their mouth can't play their way out a wet paper bag, especially Romeo. He's in such demand that the only guys that will play with him guys that have only been playing for a couple of weeks.

My Crowley vid is good... I know it, and so does Romeo. He's just a jealous hater that will NEVER make it in music no matter how much he tries. He's a talentless hack living in somewhere south of reality.

I CAN'T WAIT for him to post his Crowley video. I'll be sure to keep bumping this thread until he does. I could use a good laugh.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get my girlfriends name tattooed on my arm... I just hope the guy spells her name right!
Last edited by Solos on Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Solos

Post by Solos »

thepolkadots wrote: ...If you hardly ever touch a trem bar then a standard fender type of trem bar is all you need, however if you are going to use a trem bar ALOT like Vai does then you need a trem bar with a locking nut. Randy didn't have to worry about tuning problems because of the trem bar he was using, because he HARDLY ever use it! You have to use one of those trem bars ALOT, doing dive bombs etc to get them to go out of tune! The reason Randy had tuning problems on that guitar was due to the poor quality of the neck construction. I've had lots of guitars with the same kind of vintage trem bars as Randys polka dot V, and I can play Randys whole set list and my guitar NEVER goes out of tune. There's not enough heavy usage of the bar to cause it in Randys songs. So why don't you go stick a trem bar up your as Solos since you are so obsessed with it, seems to me you have Trem bar envy, haha!
Just like Jeff Beck, who bases his whole style around using a trem... the vintage kind. Yngwie uses a stock six screw trem and goes nuts with it. He seems to do alright too. Gary Moore used one... Ritchie Blackmore... Uli Roth... SRV... Should I continue?

Neck construction has nothing to do with the friction points caused by the bridge saddles and nut... the two causes of a vintage system having tuning issues.

As for me, my main six string has a fixed bridge. Watch my Bark video to see it. Oh, and by the way, just to let you know... I nailed that solo too.

The more you talk, the deeper your foot gets lodged in it.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

i have to chime in here....solos i been checkin this thread without hearing your clips...i just listend to both and i have to say you kick some fuckin ass dude!!!!!!!!!!!wow!!!!!!the crowley solo was awesome!!!i didnt find anything wrong with it at all!also the jake solo was phenominal!!!!!!!i like your vibrato btw too!!!!!!!i know my reply is off topic but i had to commend you man!!!!!!keep rockin kid!!!!!!!
thepolkadots

Post by thepolkadots »

SRV also hardly uses the whammy bar, with the exception of Third Stone from The Sun, and Testify and Voodoo Child, he hardly uses it. Lightly touching the bar for a hlaf step dip or slight vibrato dosen't count.

As far as you saying anyone that thinks Randy Chambers is lacking is just being jealous, well that statement of your is ludichrist, just because someone dosen't suck up to Randy Chambers like you and say he's great dosen't mean they are jealous of him.

Although, Randy Chambers is far better than you.

as far as construction you aren't even reading my posts correctly, i said the vintage style trems are good. as far as Randys neck construction the tuning problems exist more to the dan electro neck & truss rod or perhaps absence of truss rod.

As far as your tone goes, or equipment, the guitar you have is good equipment, but i'm no fan of mesas.

But I gurantee you I will get a better tone with my homemade guitar & a little Roland Microcube than you have there, and I won't use any fancy recording equipment either other than a pocket camcorder.

As far as your not needing tab, or playing it note for note.........

THAT'S MY WHOLE POINT, you did not play it note for note as heard on the Tribute CD!

If it's not note for note like the Tribute CD then it's complete crap.

As far as your band, stop trying to make excuses. Go ahead and put up another performance then played at the right tempo.

You don't have to bump this thread, I WILL post a video of me playing the complete Mr Crowley song note for note as heard on the Tribute CD, then you will be eating every word you just posted about me and everyone here will see you for the fool you are!
Solos

Post by Solos »

thepolkadots wrote:Although, Randy Chambers is far better than you.
This is the first thing of any intelligence you've posted in this entire thread. Randy Chambers is a million times better than me.

I'm not making excuses... My nephews were awesome then, and they are awesome now. Their band is on the cusp of being signed as a matter of fact.

Romeo, I can't WAIT for your example. I don't have much confidence, but I hope you do a great job. Good luck!
Solos

Post by Solos »

Tito wrote:i have to chime in here....solos i been checkin this thread without hearing your clips...i just listend to both and i have to say you kick some fuckin ass dude!!!!!!!!!!!wow!!!!!!the crowley solo was awesome!!!i didnt find anything wrong with it at all!also the jake solo was phenominal!!!!!!!i like your vibrato btw too!!!!!!!i know my reply is off topic but i had to commend you man!!!!!!keep rockin kid!!!!!!!
Kid?! haha I wish... I'll be 40 soon.

Thanks for the kind words I REALLY appreciate it. I know neither are perfect, but I'll take it... I've done alot worse haha.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

noooo solos kid is a term that goes back when i used to breakdance bro!!!it means brother bro amigo hermano etc....im 38 and im still using that word lol!!!!no disrespect intended at all solos for real.....keep posting your music too.....i have never been able to figure out jakes solo at the end of bark and you nailed it....right before the song ends is what im talking about the last run before it ends?