Black Jackson

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Black Jackson

Post by axeman_12656 »

What song, or songs, did Randy use the black Jackson on live? Never really thought about this before. for some reason i always wanna assume he used the white Jackson on all the Diary stuff but i'm sure thats not accurate.
Live Life Stronger Than Death
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Re: Black Jackson

Post by Cryptic Night »

http://www.nobitching.com/phpbb3/viewto ... ?f=27&t=58

That says what songs were played with which. How accurate is it? I'm not sure, but that's about as accurate as you're gonna get.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
sik_kreations
Cool Member

Post by sik_kreations »

being a tune o matic bridge like the les paul it would make sense he only used in songs that he used the les paul on.
Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Post by Axeman1956 »

yea, he only played it during flying high again since he had no time to make songs after he recieved it. you know why... :cry:
McLowery
Madman

Post by McLowery »

There is a picture of Randy tapping on the black Jackson. Where his fingers are fretted shows he can only be playing the solo for Flying High Again. Guess that helps solidify that axe for that song in some way.
Oh bring me some CHUNKY PUDDING, and bring it RIGHT NOW!!!
AeolianMad

Post by AeolianMad »

His Black Jackson was always tuned a half step down i do believe.
12.6.56-3.19.82
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

Did no one look at the link???

He played it on a few songs, I Don't Know, Over The Mountain, and more.

Try looking at the link...... >.>

EDIT: Well, I'm not too sure about Over The Mountain, as it's not listed, but I could have sworn I remembered hearing someone say he played it for Over The Mountain once or twice.. Maybe I was wrong.
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

I thoght that Randy had Only used that during the Sabbath tunes??
I could see him ncorperating some Tapping in those,but I never really listened too closely to the Sabbath tunes on the Later Boots from when he would have had that guitar.
I could see it for I dont know as it was played later in the set on the Diary Tour but,I really seeing the Les Paul as the Distinct Neck bending parts near the solo,not enough Randy Covers Ive seen do that proper.& OTM had the Whammy so I dont see that either?
AeolianMad

Post by AeolianMad »

I Don't Know (song) was played in standard tuning, and the link says he used the Black Jackson in that song. It also says he used the Black Jackson in Flying High which was tuned down to E flat.
12.6.56-3.19.82
slobberface

Post by slobberface »

In the Aug. 2008 issue of GW there are photos of what is said to be Randy's last setlist, not sure if it was written by him or not, but on the setlist it tells which guitars are to be used on which songs...I know there is a thread in here somewhere with a picture of the setlist i'm talking about, but you might have to do a little digging to find it...
AeolianMad

Post by AeolianMad »

slobberface wrote:In the Aug. 2008 issue of GW there are photos of what is said to be Randy's last setlist, not sure if it was written by him or not, but on the setlist it tells which guitars are to be used on which songs...I know there is a thread in here somewhere with a picture of the setlist i'm talking about, but you might have to do a little digging to find it...

I have that issue. On the handwritten setlist that was on his amps the last show, it says Flying High was the only song with the "New Charvel".........Or thats the way I read it.
12.6.56-3.19.82
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

This is the page from the GW mag with the setlist but the black jackson doesn't get mentioned by name ?.

Charvel - Over the Mountain
Spotted / PDV - Mr Crowley
- Chat -
Les Paul - Crazy Train
" " - Mother
" " - Steal Away
Spotted / PDV - Suicide Sol
" " - Solo
Les Paul - Goodbye to Romance
" " - I Don't Know
" " - No Bone Movies
Charvel - Believer
Charvel - Flying High (New One)
Les Paul - Iron Man
Les Paul - Children of the Grave
-------------------------------
Les Paul - Paranoid

Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Post by Axeman1956 »

Thanks Guitar. It's bone chilling to see what he wrote for that night. Sad, very sad.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

AeolianMad wrote: I have that issue. On the handwritten setlist that was on his amps the last show, it says Flying High was the only song with the "New Charvel".........Or thats the way I read it.
Is that not referring to the song being a 'new one' from Diary album ?. With it being wrote in red pen i think thats what its getting at. You may be right as it does have 'New One' wrote in red pen under 'charvel' ?.
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

I believe I heard that he used it for I Don't Know on separate nights to get a feel for which tuning would be best for that guitar.

And Jake E. Lee played Over The Mountain without a tremolo, and it sounds pretty much the same. So, it's possible he used it on Over The Mountain, but I think he would have gone back to the Concorde.