Randy's LP Strings?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Randy's LP Strings?

Post by Axeman1956 »

Can anyone tell me the strings Randy used for his Custom LP? I want to get my Epiphone as close to Randy's LP as possible.
Tito
Mass Poster

Re: Randy's LP Strings?

Post by Tito »

i think in england it was piccato strings and in the us it was ghs?i may be wrong but thats what i remember as far as his strings also a heavy gauge too axe...
NoQuattro
Cool Member

Post by NoQuattro »

Aye. 11s, I believe.
"Everyone says theres nothing new that can be done with a guitar, but when people like Randy come along, they realize they're wrong." -- Angus Young, AC/DC
TheMrAxeman
Mass Poster

Post by TheMrAxeman »

11s half step down
10s in standard
Wanna trade boots? email randyrhoadsboots@gmail.com
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

10's He switched to those from 9's because they wouldn't take his "abuse" of his wide vibrato (fingers) or leads when he would go back to chords and they would stay in tune. Not sure where you got the 11's story - I never heard that. He kept certain guitars in E and others in Eb. He didn't retune but switched between songs. His philosophy was that most bands played in E, B or A, creating the same tension or feeling (like Iron Maiden - live after death) song after song that produces boredom. With having guitars/basses to 2 different keys, you could play one song in E and the next in Eb and have it sound unique!
Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Post by Axeman1956 »

THANKS! I want my new LP to be as close to his as possible.
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

He used 10's for standard tuning, and 11's for half step tuning. That way the strings would feel about the same when playing.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

Cryptic Night wrote:He used 10's for standard tuning, and 11's for half step tuning. That way the strings would feel about the same when playing.
Thats pretty Cool,Ive never thought of that or heard that idea,Cool!

Ya know,I often wonder if Guitar strings are made the same way or of thesame material as in 1980??? Because I have come across Old drum heads from that era & they look very similar but are definatly a bit different & absoulutly have quite a different sound,Cymbals too.Just a thought.
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

Well it makes sense. The string gauges become thicker, thus creating more tension, and so when you tune down the strings would normally become very loose and "flabby" and lose a lot of attack. So, if you use thicker strings, they feel and sound as if you were using 10's in standard tuning, when in reality you are using 11's in half step tuning.

Basically, the thicker the strings are, the lower you can tune your guitar without it sounding weak.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
Lespauly
Cool Member

Post by Lespauly »

GHS I do beleive..10s and 11s live and possibly 9s in the studio but who knows...