Would Ozzy make it without Randy ?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

The Flying Dutchman

Would Ozzy make it without Randy ?

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Randy was incredible, but I think Ozzy would make it with or without Randy.
Considering that he already was working with Bob Daisley, he couldn't go wrong anymore for choosing a good guitarplayer.
At the time Ozzy was already rehearsing with a guitarplayer and a drummer, but Bob gave him the advice then to find better musicians. After that Randy was flight over to England...... and the rest is history! 8)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Ivar

Post by Ivar »

George Lynch was also auditioning for Ozzy. I think if Ozzy picked Lynch he would have make it, but not in the same way as he did with Randy.
Xanadu
Cool Member

Post by Xanadu »

Oh I think Osbourne would have "made it" so to speak had he drafted another guitar player. He already had a reputation of sorts, a marketable name due to his association with Black Sabbath. He had a very good tunesmith in Daisley. It's all so much speculation...who knows. What he DID get by having Randy Rhoads on board was an air of integrity that a lesser guitarist might not have provided. Right out of the gate, musicians in Europe and the U.S were taking great notice of Randy's phenomenal abilities. "Guitar Player" magazine, which was, and continues to be, a very influential publication, awarded him the "Best New Talent" award for 1981.....a VERY prestigious award. All of this was to give Ozzy himself a legitimacy that maybe he would not have had with another guitarist. Randy Rhoads generated ALOT of attention at the time. For those of us here who can remember, there was quite a buzz in the music industry about this unknown young guitarist who Osbourne had "discovered". Randy brought Ozzy a credibility that was very unlikely with a lesser guitarist.......and in comparison to Randy Rhoads... "lesser" would just about have meant ANYBODY.
".....the moment Randy Rhoads walked out on stage, you knew you were WITNESSING something IMPORTANT."
Metal Matt

Post by Metal Matt »

I want to say yes, but remember that 'Living Loud' project? The one with Lee, Bob, and Steve Morse? The magic of those songs was gone without Randy's touch. I'm guessing he would have had to have gone in a different direction and pulled out the best in whichever guitarist he was working with I suppose.
[url=http://www.metalmatt.com][img]http://www.metalmatt.com/sigs/sig-eqpromo01small.gif[/img][/url][url=http://www.randy-rhoads.com][img]http://www.metalmatt.com/sigs/sigr.gif[/img][/url]
[b][size=75][url]http://www.myspace.com/motleymetalmattmusic[/url][/size][/b]
therhoadlesstraveled
Cool Member

Post by therhoadlesstraveled »

He would have made it, but not at the same level. He wouldn't have been as famous.
deansolo
Cool Member

Post by deansolo »

I'd have to say maybe.

I remember the time between the last Sabbath record with Ozzy and Blizzard of OZ. Many in my circle had given up on Sabbath and regarded Ozzy as "washed-up", even tho' we still listened to the older Sabbath records. We were surprised and delighted when Ozzy 'came back' bigger than ever with Randy Rhoads.
Cat's-Eye pedals now available at Vintage and Rare Guitars, London and Bath, United Kingdom

"Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?"

www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Metal Matt wrote:I want to say yes, but remember that 'Living Loud' project? The one with Lee, Bob, and Steve Morse? The magic of those songs was gone without Randy's touch. I'm guessing he would have had to have gone in a different direction and pulled out the best in whichever guitarist he was working with I suppose.
I think that Steve Morse, Bob Daisley, Jimmy Barns etc made a very good effort on the Ozzy tunes i think they sound different but after a few listens you forget that they are Ozzy songs.They have done the songs proud and freshened them up and its cool to think that Steve Morse was one of Randys idols.I totally disagree for the reasons behind doing them they wrote them, they can do what the hell they like with em! After what the Ozzy camp done with the REMASTERS it was a disgrace.But you cannot beat RR for his versions :lol:
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

I think he would have done it without Randy and Ozzy tapped into a new seam of talent. The time was right for a new type of guitar legend and if it had not been Randy it would have been somebody equaly fresh. :D

But I am certain they wouldn't be as good as Randy :lol:

T
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

I think that Ozzy would have made it without Randy. Also, I think that Randy would have made it without Ozzy. People are always saying things like "Ozzy is so fantastic, if it wasn't for him we wouldn't know who Randy Rhoads was" but I think that he would have become as well known if he continued with Quiet Riot or maybe another band.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Ell wrote:I think that Ozzy would have made it without Randy. Also, I think that Randy would have made it without Ozzy. People are always saying things like "Ozzy is so fantastic, if it wasn't for him we wouldn't know who Randy Rhoads was" but I think that he would have become as well known if he continued with Quiet Riot or maybe another band.

I agree but I am grateful that we have the songs around that they created together, had they never met I don't think either would have had such stunning first (two) albums.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

Trigger wrote:
Ell wrote:I think that Ozzy would have made it without Randy. Also, I think that Randy would have made it without Ozzy. People are always saying things like "Ozzy is so fantastic, if it wasn't for him we wouldn't know who Randy Rhoads was" but I think that he would have become as well known if he continued with Quiet Riot or maybe another band.

I agree but I am grateful that we have the songs around that they created together, had they never met I don't think either would have had such stunning first (two) albums.
That's very true.
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

no.
RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Making It Big

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

--In order for anyone to "make it" they should know that extreme dedication is required; a willingness to perform every night no matter what physical condition one is enduring. Ozzy performed while having walking pneumonia. Only when the doctors intervened did he cancel a show.
--You also have to have a good manager. Sharon has performed her job perfectly. Without her help Ozzy might have been washed up a long time ago. What Randy did was make Ozzy's music shine. He made it "fun" to work hard. When I see pictures of Randy on stage with Ozzy there was definitely a chemistry, an excitement that can not be duplicated. It is extremely rare in the music business since you feel you are in a sea of sharks rather than on an island sipping Margaritas...
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Re: Making It Big

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

The thing that i cannot understand is that Randy had slogged his guts out playing with Quiet Riot.But they couldn't get a major recording deal.They had to live in hope that the QR albums would filter through Japan and into the music media.But the minute he joined Ozzy and was more in the public eye he was an icon in the making, but he just never had this recognition when he was in QR.So you could put it down to being in the right place at the right time.I don't think he would of ever been recognised if he'd carried on with QR.But you don't know if they would of had the success they had without that line up of Carlos Cavazo, Rudy, Frankie etc. But we'll never know what would of happened if the circumstances had of been different ...
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Randy had a huge following in Japan without ever having been there. So much so that they made a television tribute to him. So, even without Ozzy he would have had success in the orient.

Look at people like Schenker and Sykes who don't have loads of success in the States, but do have superstardom in Asia... it's all relative.