Randy's Chorus and Flange settings

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Shockwave
Mass Poster

Re: Randy's Chorus and Flange settings

Post by Shockwave »

I have an absolute mint condition 3 knob mxr stereo chorus :-)

Speed - around 10-11 o'clock
Width - 1 o'clock
Manual - 1 o'clock (I think off the top of my head)

Really nice pedal I must say, really cold sounding though. I may retire it eventually and replace it with the a along bi-chorus. I don't think I will ever get rid of though. I wanted it for so long(20yrs) before I actually bought one. I don't think I could get rid of it now.

Paired with my Marshall 78 JMP if sounds extractly like Randy's live tone during the diary tour :D
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Does it have the 3 prong outlet?
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

Shockwave wrote:I have an absolute mint condition 3 knob mxr stereo chorus :-)

Speed - around 10-11 o'clock
Width - 1 o'clock
Manual - 1 o'clock (I think off the top of my head)

Really nice pedal I must say, really cold sounding though. I may retire it eventually and replace it with the a along bi-chorus. I don't think I will ever get rid of though. I wanted it for so long(20yrs) before I actually bought one. I don't think I could get rid of it now.

Paired with my Marshall 78 JMP if sounds extractly like Randy's live tone during the diary tour :D
What made Dunlop add a extra knob ?

Back in th old days they use to be a 3 knob but now they are a 4 knob

The only diffrence I can really tell with the ressuie is that it is now a true bypass
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

randy will never die wrote:
The only diffrence I can really tell with the ressuie is that it is now a true bypass
MXR is making a true bypass stereo chorus?

Well that sucks, I bought one six years ago and it's not, great pedal but the lack of bypass always bugs me.

As far as I know all MXR pedals lack true bypass, so it would be nice if they finally introduce it as standard. Honestly these days I wouldn't buy a pedal without true-bypass, sooner or later it will disappoint me. Speaking of which, MXR did a really good job on a high quality distortion + a while back - actually sounded good! But no true-bypass... sucks

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
randy will never die
Mass Poster

rice_pudding wrote:From what I remember of the bootlegs, Randy's use of chorus always seemed a bit inconsistent to me. On some of the shows you can't hear it at all, on others its very obvious, arguably getting a tad too strong in the mix depending on your taste in modulation.

I suppose a lot of it would depend on the set-up for each gig and how it was recorded. I don't pretend to know exactly, but I would bet it would make a difference. Example-
-Randy using just two/three stacks or using the PA as well? (was the chorus sent just to his stacks?)
-Audio recorded off the mixing board, or from an independent mic
-Room acoustics and positioning of mic.

I remember a diagram once that supposedly showed how he chained everything together, maybe that has the answers.

Off topic: I do need to get a good flanger one day...

Rob

There is but the signal path on the diagram is wrong
randy will never die
Mass Poster

rice_pudding wrote:
MXR is making a true bypass stereo chorus?

Well that sucks, I bought one six years ago and it's not, great pedal but the lack of bypass always bugs me.

As far as I know all MXR pedals lack true bypass, so it would be nice if they finally introduce it as standard. Honestly these days I wouldn't buy a pedal without true-bypass, sooner or later it will disappoint me. Speaking of which, MXR did a really good job on a high quality distortion + a while back - actually sounded good! But no true-bypass... sucks

Rob
Dunlop adds true bypass to almost everything now a days

In case people did not know in the late 80s MXR went out of business and in the mid 90s Dunlop bought MXR and now MXR is now a part of Dunlop
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Well, that's good news, but not for me. I have three modern pedals that I bought around 2005-07 and none of them are true bypass... not too bad with the chorus though, it sounds fine through an effects loop.

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
randy will never die
Mass Poster

rice_pudding wrote:
Well, that's good news, but not for me. I have three modern pedals that I bought around 2005-07 and none of them are true bypass... not too bad with the chorus though, it sounds fine through an effects loop.

Rob

There are little true bypass pedals you can put in your signal chain the cheapest 1 is $25

Say I have a distortion pedal and it does not have true bypass you put the true bypass pedal. After the distortion pedal and keep the true bypass pedal on even when the distortion pedal is of

I know my way around effect :)
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

I'm a little confused.
Are you describing a pedal that adds a switchable loop to the chain direct into the amp?

>B-->NonBypass Dist-----\
--->---[___Truebypass______>A_____________________]------------------->--->--AMP

Or just putting a bypassed pedal after a non-bypassed pedal?

-->---NonBypass Dist---->--True Bypass pedal---------->------AMP

The former would work, though it would add a lot of board clutter, which some people might not like. The latter would not help.

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
randy will never die
Mass Poster

There are mods for true bypass 2,

If you really want true bypass just mod your effect pedal
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

rice_pudding wrote:Off topic: I do need to get a good flanger one day...

Rob
I got a free Vortex flanger from TC Electronics the other day - a deal for buying a looper and distortion from them - and I can't find much use for it. I played Star Spangled Banner just like Jimi, which was cool, but everything else sounded like '60's nonsense... I'll need to do some listening for an application of that pedal.

By the way, the distortion I bought was their Dark Matter pedal. I used it twice - 5 minutes each time, two weeks apart - and it died. So if you want good effects, I wouldn't recommend TC Electronics.