Guitar Center Half Page Ad for the Randy Rhoads Les Paul.

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

WAR IN D

Guitar Center Half Page Ad for the Randy Rhoads Les Paul.

Post by WAR IN D »

Don't know if anyone else has seen this yet, but I just got this in the mail today.

I guess the question of price has been answered. :mrgreen:
The Flying Dutchman

Re: Guitar Center Half Page Ad for the Randy Rhoads Les Paul

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Not that bad, I expected a much higher price! 8)
But be careful, they talk about the "Randy Rhodes Les Paul Custom AGED/VOS" at the bottom there. :wink:

Thnx for sharing this!
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
NoQuattro
Cool Member

Post by NoQuattro »

In order to make the aged one, I'm assuming they had access to the original guitar. I sure would like to see those pictures. We've seen the PDV and shortwing on display, and the black Jackson has been in Guitar World. Seems like the only guitar that has conspicuously been out of the public eye is the Les Paul. It would be cool if they did some sort of video that shows them looking at the original, taking measurements, etc. I'd like to see one of these in person, especially the aged one.
"Everyone says theres nothing new that can be done with a guitar, but when people like Randy come along, they realize they're wrong." -- Angus Young, AC/DC
WAR IN D

Post by WAR IN D »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:Not that bad, I expected a much higher price! 8)
But be careful, they talk about the "Randy Rhodes Les Paul Custom AGED/VOS" at the bottom there. :wink:

Thnx for sharing this!
You're welcome.. I know, you would think that they could at least proof read the ad before it went to press. Funny how they got it right everywhere else. Leads me to believe that the upper part is "cut and paste" from Gibson, and GC dropped the ball on the rest. :roll:

I tried to go to GCPLATINUM.COM to see these guitars, but I didn't find them there yet. I think the "aged" one would be cool from a collector standpoint if it is indeed a true replica of the original, although I wouldn't drop that kind of cash on a guitar that would never get played. I still think that if a person is dead set on having a real Gibson RR, the best bet is to grab a regular ol' used white or cream LPC and make it into an RR. Would probably be more cost effective anyway and you could put your own "aging" on it through actually playing it. :mrgreen:

NoQuattro, I agree.. I would get more satisfaction out of seeing the documentation of the original than actually buying a replica. To me, that's the one I'm interested in. The idea of the replica is cool, but it wasn't the one that was connected to the man. I often wonder (in a weird sort of way) if the guitars of people like Randy, SRV, etc. ever "feel" the loss. I know that sounds strange, but in essence they were an extention of the person that gave them "life".
Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Post by Axeman1956 »

Oh great, 5-7k. I guess I aint getting one of them.
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

Called it :)
zennman
Cool Member

Post by zennman »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:Not that bad, I expected a much higher price! 8)

Thnx for sharing this!
As a former 15 year veteran of Guitar Center, all I have to say is... " JHC, can't anyone there at GC spell Randy's name correctly?"

Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Post by Axeman1956 »

LMFAO! I hate that man. It's so stupid that they spelled his name wrong. I would've punched the person who spelled his name wrong in the face! LOLOLOL
sik_kreations
Cool Member

Post by sik_kreations »

Axeman1956 wrote:LMFAO! I hate that man. It's so stupid that they spelled his name wrong. I would've punched the person who spelled his name wrong in the face! LOLOLOL

it was probably ozzy, and sharon wasnt by his side translating his jibberish.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

sik_kreations wrote:
Axeman1956 wrote:LMFAO! I hate that man. It's so stupid that they spelled his name wrong. I would've punched the person who spelled his name wrong in the face! LOLOLOL

it was probably ozzy, and sharon wasnt by his side translating his jibberish.
LOL!!

My grammar would be a whole lot worse if it wasn't for my better half. When we got together, appalled at my mis use of the apostrophe for example, she made me do some of her school work sheets until I improved! Also she spots incorrect grammar in lots of things that are quite shocking; sign posts, magazine articles and even famous novels!

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

The plaque has been corrected since then. I remember this photo below when it was unvaled. I'm wondering if Delores said anything. She's giving it a good once over....Zakk move your hand and try and cover up the 'DES' before anyone notices. dumb asses.

AceVader
Cool Member

Post by AceVader »

It isnt as much as I expected. It will be worth a lot more soon enough if that's all they're putting on the market. If I had an extra 5 grand, I would probably buy one. I wonder if they'll put the "RR" on the pickguard and other little details, since they claim to have recreated it EXACTLY.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

wow they charge an extra 40% for the aged one.Why? is it sprinkled with some secret mojo potion or do they aim it at the sun for uv exposure aging?Very interesting.
Im disappointed they dont have the price at 5,682.00 or 19,82319.56.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:
You can see Delores looking at it with this kind of "WTF is this??" look on her face :lol:

OTH, you must not know very much about aging a guitar and making it an exact replica. They have to spend a lot of time making ALL the little scratches and dings in it. When they studied the original guitar, they had to measure everything (I'm assuming they had to be EXTREMELY careful with it, per Delores's request) They have to make the dents in it from when Randy used it as a desk, they have to create all the wear and tear from it being on the road.

I've never done it myself, but I'd imagine it wouldn't be just "laying it out in the sun for a few hours" and then making the price 40% higher.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

price is reasonable i suppose, considering gibson prices

probably reflected in the market size they expect for this limited edition

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk