Is this Long Beach from the Diary Tour? Oops, a Brad Show..

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

drummerfish

Re: Is this Long Beach from the Diary Tour? Oops, a Brad Sh

Post by drummerfish »

this is the memphis show from 82. i just posted the same question today, and after searching youtube and comparing the in between banter its the memphis show.

BUT...the radio broadcast boot that's avail has the real vox and is unedited as it was recorded as it was being aired on the radio, while the captured live show was professionally recorded to be re-aired on the radio, and it has the vox re-recorded (just like the irvine show and sotd) which as we all know is the usual M.O. for ozzy.
SanDimasCharvel
Cool Member

Re: Is this Long Beach from the Diary Tour? Oops, a Brad Sh

Post by SanDimasCharvel »

drummerfish wrote:this is the memphis show from 82. i just posted the same question today, and after searching youtube and comparing the in between banter its the memphis show.

BUT...the radio broadcast boot that's avail has the real vox and is unedited as it was recorded as it was being aired on the radio, while the captured live show was professionally recorded to be re-aired on the radio, and it has the vox re-recorded (just like the irvine show and sotd) which as we all know is the usual M.O. for ozzy.
I'm not sure if they actually broadcasted Memphis as it was happening but they definitely pressed it on LP for a radio show. I have an original set, not a boot, that cost quite a lot when I bought it long ago. And indeed, warts and all. No overdubs. I used to love Irvine Meadows for years after seeing it on MTV. I was fascinated by the sound of his vocals. I recorded it on cassette off the TV then, then got the blue boot LP, then the Japan laser disc, then the official radio show LP's, then the boot DVD, then the official DVD. Loved it. But when I finally realized that all of the vocals were not doubled with the original, but completely redone and doubled, and sometimes don't even closely match the video, it lost some of the magic. I don't even know if I want to keep any of it but it's hard to let any Ozzy stuff go. I'd rather hear it like it was. Brad's playing in both shows was great but my go to live Ozzy show will always be the KBFH with Randy and I'm glad they didn't mess with that other than some audience looping on the 9-track broadcasts which I wish they didn't do but it's still my fave by far.