So About the Deluxe editions??

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

DMRX
Mass Poster

So About the Deluxe editions??

Post by DMRX »

Just sitting here waiting for the date and got to pondering.
IThe more I think of it there will probably be a "Promo Video/MTV Style Video" or Two,to coincide/promote this WONDERFULL Gift of this Video & Outtakes.

Im thinking Probably a Crazy Train Video with a bunch of footage cut together,or a Live Track like,Flying High ,Or mabey a demo of Goodbye,(what I really want).
But Id bet Dollars to Doughnuts that VH1 Classisc will not only PROMOTE the hell out of it ,but they would play the "Videos" on every Rock & Metal video show on there,EVERY HOUR!!!
Like when Michael Jacksons last Video came out they Played it EVERY HOUR for WEEKS

Im Hopin to See Randy DOMINATE VH1 Classic & Classic in Concert.

& a Classic albumbs would be GODLKE,
PS. I just watched the Black Sabbath Paranoid Classic albums,that just came out a few weeks ago
& there was alot of Ozzy just AD-Libbing the vocal melodies.Im thinking we'll get some of that too.
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Re: So About the Deluxe editions??

Post by Cryptic Night »

DMRX wrote:Im Hopin to See Randy DOMINATE VH1 Classic & Classic in Concert.
You can hope all you want, but I really doubt there's going to be a whole lot of promotion for this. If there is any, it probably won't be more than Ozzy's current album, Scream.

Randy Rhoads isn't NEARLY as big as Micheal Jackson. So, chances are they won't really show much on T.V. about it.

You seem to be really excited for this, eh? :lol:
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

A Classic Albums on either Ozzy album would be nice, but also impossible. The Osbournes would need to have had an amicable split with a band member for that to happen :lol:
That Metal Show gets a half an hour a week. I do not see MTV giving any extra time to a deceased rock star, who at best is a cult figure halfway to obscurity.
The Facebook society page is probably the most accessible to the public at large, and it's membership barely fills one hockey arena.
We all love Randy, dude...but that doesn't really equal a whole lot of people. We'd like to think the world is going to draw a collective breath when this box comes out, but that isn't gonna happen.
You do know a video of Crazy Train exists with footage and such already, right?
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
Gus
Cool Member

Post by Gus »

Isn't it a bit weird how Randy was such a great guitarist yet his following is still a fairly modest 'cult' one? :shock: Awesome how these great things are coming our way in November but maybe if even half of it (outtakes, pro shot concert etc) had've surfaced by '83 at the latest the whole legacy situation may be different now. The politics of it (Sharon vs Don) meant that it couldn't have, but it's a pity.

In the 80s Tommy Aldridge said how he was happy that 'Tribute' had been released but he wished it had come out a lot earlier. I didn't really get that comment back then but I sure do now.
The older members probably remember various guys saying stuff like 'Eddie is God' the first couple of years after Randy died and if we could've just played them 'Tribute' then or shown em a pro shot concert then maybe some could've been won over? 8)
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

Eddie was more flash than Randy was. In the 80's (Could be wrong, since I wasn't around in the 80's) it was more about flash, and looks. Randy wasn't. (He had looks, but I don't think he was about looks)

Randy was more about talent. He had the skills. He didn't go up and do this flashy stuff that EVH was doing. Well, he did some occasionally, but he had more talent than EVH did.

It's a shame people only think bands are cool because they "look cool" or because they have flashy skills. They lose sight of the talent, then the people who really have the talent go unnoticed because they don't "look the part."
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

Cryptic Night wrote:Eddie was more flash than Randy was. In the 80's (Could be wrong, since I wasn't around in the 80's) it was more about flash, and looks. Randy wasn't. (He had looks, but I don't think he was about looks)

Randy was more about talent. He had the skills. He didn't go up and do this flashy stuff that EVH was doing. Well, he did some occasionally, but he had more talent than EVH did.

It's a shame people only think bands are cool because they "look cool" or because they have flashy skills. They lose sight of the talent, then the people who really have the talent go unnoticed because they don't "look the part."

I disagree with you about the looks , QR was all about the "image" and was heavily based on the glam look of the 70's bands with their big hair , make-up , clothes , shoes etc
................................................................Image...............................................................................
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

but randy grew out of that and said fuck the image and flash im gonna be me..at least i would like to think so..
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

Ritchie wrote:
Cryptic Night wrote:Eddie was more flash than Randy was. In the 80's (Could be wrong, since I wasn't around in the 80's) it was more about flash, and looks. Randy wasn't. (He had looks, but I don't think he was about looks)

I disagree with you about the looks , QR was all about the "image" and was heavily based on the glam look of the 70's bands with their big hair , make-up , clothes , shoes etc
I'm sorry, I should have specified.. I meant his Ozzy days. :wink:

Oh, I really don't think Randy was really into the flash. (QR years) At least, not toward the later years. I mean, he was already playing the stuff we heard on BOO in the late 70's (Though, unpolished) but in the studio he wasn't because the producers wanted a certain sound. I would imagine they wanted a certain look to it as well. So, if Randy wanted to sell records and hopefully get a record deal, he'd have to "whore" himself out and play the flashy crap, and dress like a diva. Luckily, he got a break with Ozzy. He was still dressing up (Though, in a much better way IMO) but he was able to play whatever he wanted. As long as Ozzy liked it.
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

Cryptic Night wrote:
Randy was more about talent. He had the skills. He didn't go up and do this flashy stuff that EVH was doing. Well, he did some occasionally, but he had more talent than EVH did."
I don't want to turn this topic into a Randy Vs EVH thing , but Randy was schooled in his musical knowledge , Eddie was self taught .. so therefore I would say Eddie had the "talent" at least natural talent ( in bucket loads ) and Eddies "skills" did'nt just fall out the sky , he had to work on them and was also very impulsive in his playing .

Randy on the other hand also worked like a madman on his chops , but his head was all about composition and he used his musical theory knowledge to step outside of pentatonics and branch out into using modes and knowing what chord sequences to use behind his solos to fully carry them into being songs within the song .
................................................................Image...............................................................................
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

great point ritchie!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Ed was classically trained in piano and went to a community college where he studied music. He and Randy were alike in many ways. To me the difference is that Ed was more blues based in his playing where Randy was obsessed with the classical influence by the time he was with Ozzy.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

seems like a familiar debate surfacing once again.

As Paul says you could simply separate them by a heritage of blues vs classical. Or as i believe Paul has mentioned in the past major key vs minor key.

Personaly i think they were both highly talented, regardless of educational background. The differece for me is how they applied that "talent". Randy was more subdued and obssesive in his approach to music, Eddie was more "off the cuff", anything goes. It doesn't mean he wasn't musicaly sharp, just that he didnt care for roadmaps. Therin lies both players greatest strangth and weakness.

But back on topic:

I have to admit i know little about these deluxe editions, can anyone fill me in? I was under the impression that new reissues of BOO and DOAM would include special randy related material. I looked online to see if you can pre-order the other day but only found a dvd called "blizzard of ozz" on tour or something like that.

So... what is coming out? Is it special/limited edition? And (totaly subjective) is it worth it?

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

A couple of months back, while doing a press type Q&A for Ozzy's new album/intro of Gus G/ Summer Ozzfest, Sharon made an aside comment that BOO & Diary would see re-release/remaster with Bob & Lee's performances restored.
She also hinted that there would be some extra audio in the form of studio chatter. Also the strong possibility of video footage.
It was said that an official announcement would be in the August issue of Guitar World, (which hits the stands a month prior to coverdate), it wound up being a very small blurb.
There has been no formal word from Sharon as to how much extra audio there is. Most speculate each album would be two discs apiece.
The video is thought to be of the Palladium in NY during the US BOO tour, due to comments made by Ozzy during meet & greets and Twitter posts.
Zakk Wylde has seen some of the footage and was blown away. If it's new to him, it's certainly new to us.
As of recent, Bob and Lee have yet to be contacted in any way, shape or form by the Osbournes.
Ozzy's new album had an insert included announcing the BOO/DOAM re-release.
It was stated by Sharon that this material would be packaged as a boxed set and see a Thanksgiving, (late November), release.
There is supposed to be an Ozzy doc included as well. Not sure if this would be the doc Jack has been working on, known as 'Wreckage of My Past'.
It is unclear if the Rhoads video footage is to be included with with the set, or as a seperate entity.
I apologize for my laziness with links, but if you look around the first two pages or so of the General section, you should see topics on any of the above, including the video of Sharon making the initial announcement.
I would like to think where the release is roughly four months away, that Sharon and Ozzy would do some sort of press for this, as it's major news within Ozzy fandom and folks could get some actual questions answered, such as the specifics of the video and how much extra audio, the possibility of solos unfaded, alternate takes, etc.
Tom
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

its at 1:05 where she talks about it...she says 2 shows with randy and another film with randy...correct me if i heard wrong please... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW2K8eIc59s
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Thanks Tito :D
Here's the insert from the Scream album:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4568

Oh, btw Rice, the Blizzard DVD you saw was really a misleading title for the foreign re-release of the SOTD/DOAM tour with Brad from Irvine Meadows, CA in 1982 for MTV.
Last edited by whoopiecat on Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.