Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

whoopiecat
Mass Poster

In-Depth with Bob Daisley...

Post by whoopiecat »

Can't wait for Bob's book, saw this posted at the Rhoads society on FB today:
http://www.bobdaisley.com/interview-website.html
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
ammalato

Re: In-Depth with Bob Daisley...

Post by ammalato »

What I find most interesting is Bob's discussion on Goodbye to Romance... "I wrote the outro lyrics in the control room of a Birmingham demo studio when we first recorded the song as a demo for the record company. I still have that demo"

Bob must have the most amazing collection of goodies!
Life's a stage and we're all in the cast.
Livewire8195

Post by Livewire8195 »

Great interview, very interesting.
David

Post by David »

I think its just weird how the Osbournes haven't contacted Lee Or Bob about the re-issues
After all it seems Bob has quite a few demos, tapes, and other goodies
I just hope they put aside their past to make one hell of a deluxe set!
Aside from that I'm looking forward to Bob's new book
dmnjr
Cool Member

Post by dmnjr »

It's quite possible that they have 'no-talk' clause until the box-set is released.
RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

Thanks whoopiecat. A great read indeed...
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
David Denson

Post by David Denson »

I can hardly wait for Bob's book to come out, what a read that will be!
Last edited by David Denson on Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Great read! Not much new facts though.
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
stlrox

Post by stlrox »

This is on TK. The UK version is on AMAZON.UK. No where does it mention RR. Pure trash attempt to cash in on RR's namesake. The least the dirty lawyer lad and the publisher could do is spell the name right. Makes me sick.

:evil:
zennman wrote:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003SU ... 3HQECS86Y6

What the hell is this?
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Cool stuff! Thanks!
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Picked up a copy of Gods, Gangsters and Honour by Steven Machat, (the book Bob referred to in the Q&A), check this out:
This is Steve talking about himself and Don Arden getting together in LA, in 1999, I believe.
"We met at Nate & Al's Deli in Beverly Hills. Don had a business proposition: He had tapes, records and videos from his most famous groups and asked me to help him sell them in return for a slice of the action. He told me he owned the copyright to them, and that was good enough for me.
I had told him that I had been approached by a friend with connections to this internet company called Musicmaker who were looking for material to sell online.
It fast became clear that Don's most marketable property was a taped video concert of the Blizzard of Ozz featuring Ozzy. I promised him I would sound out Musicmaker and get back to him.
After the inevitable horsetrading, Musicmaker eventually paid out $100,000 for the tape with my commission agreed at 20%. Even there, half of my fee went to the man who introduced me to Musicmaker. He had to split his $10k with his bosses! Everyone was getting a slice of the pie. The video is what Don gave me for the future."

So this must be the show that was supposedly 'stolen' from Don's house, unless he has more, though Steve's dialogue sounds as though there was just the one.
This was in the chapter entitled: 'The Birth of the Queen of Hearts', and you can guess who that is.
I just got the book a few days ago, and there isn't a whole lot with Don/Ozzy, which would lead me to think Machat is being truthful, as he doesn't have anything to lose or gain by saying what he did. He's had a pretty long career, and his dealings with Ozzy were for short periods of time. He did mention he was actually the tour manager with the band for their first spin thru Canada, then came to the realization managing a heavy metal act was not for him. I wouldn't consider this cashing in on Randy. His name is mentioned maybe three times total.

I thought Sharon was disturbed before I read any of this:
..."had She and Ozzy lost that whole royalty case, they would have had to pay up to 75% of BOO current and past earnings to Daisley, Kerslake and the Rhoads estate, and that would have amounted to millions that they simply didn't have. This was right before the MTV show that made her a celebrity".

So before anyone runs to Sharon's defense, remember that Bob and Lee aren't the only ones being fucked over by her, the same goes for Randy's family, too.
I recall hearing once that the terms of Randy's contract were changed shortly after his death. Never knew if that was true, but the above sure makes it sound that way.
These guys were not hired as sidemen when the Blizzard first started blowing.
More than once, Machat refers to the Band as the Blizzard of Ozz. Not Ozzy or Ozzy's band.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
estang74

Post by estang74 »

Remember kids, music and business should never be mixed together.

Unfortunately things like this diminish the appreciation you have for an artist. I used to be the biggest Ozzy fan as a kid and I wonder how much of a fan I would have been if I would have known this info years ago. It's really a drag to see what money does to certain people. Bob, Lee and Randy should be paid for creating two of the greatest rock albums of the last 30 years. Those two albums saved Ozzy's career and without those two albums who knows where Ozzy's career would have gone.
www.reverbnation.com/estang74
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

You and me both, estang. I actually had one of those 'Ozzy For President' t-shirts that they marketed around '84. Ozzy was a hero to the 16 year old kid I was back then.
It almost seems as though Ozzy had to come out of retirement, as the lifestyle the Osbournes were accustomed to couldn't be supported by residuals alone.
Stuff like this still causes me to wonder how Ozzy thought it plausible to go after Tony over the whole Sabbath ownership debacle.
If I were Tony, I'd have told Oz to get his own house in order first.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

whoopiecat wrote:Picked up a copy of Gods, Gangsters and Honour by Steven Machat, (the book Bob referred to in the Q&A), check this out:
This is Steve talking about himself and Don Arden getting together in LA, in 1999, I believe.
"We met at Nate & Al's Deli in Beverly Hills. Don had a business proposition: He had tapes, records and videos from his most famous groups and asked me to help him sell them in return for a slice of the action. He told me he owned the copyright to them, and that was good enough for me.
I had told him that I had been approached by a friend with connections to this internet company called Musicmaker who were looking for material to sell online.
It fast became clear that Don's most marketable property was a taped video concert of the Blizzard of Ozz featuring Ozzy. I promised him I would sound out Musicmaker and get back to him.
After the inevitable horsetrading, Musicmaker eventually paid out $100,000 for the tape with my commission agreed at 20%. Even there, half of my fee went to the man who introduced me to Musicmaker. He had to split his $10k with his bosses! Everyone was getting a slice of the pie. The video is what Don gave me for the future."
Some very interesting informaton here, worth to dig in a bit more.
I can't imagine nothing was captured somehow (pro or not) from the first Blizzard tour, who knows what else is out there in Ozzy's vault.....
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

I bet Don Arden had a few Videos of his "Cash Cow" Bigger artists,So mabey Ozzys 1st show in Glascow was indeed filmed???Cant wait