March 20th 1982?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

whoopiecat
Mass Poster

March 20th 1982?

Post by whoopiecat »

While looking on Pete Way's site for pics of him during his short tenure with Ozzy, I saw this pic of him and Tonka and you can clearly make out from the staging behind them, that they are at the gig Randy never made it to.
That must have been a hard day for them. :(
archive55.jpg
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Re: March 20th 1982?

Post by whoopiecat »

Sorry folks, this should have gone into the 'Other Artists' folder, or off topic... :oops:

T.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

whoopiecat wrote:Sorry folks, this should have gone into the 'Other Artists' folder, or off topic... :oops:

T.
Not sure, could be Randy related, cause I read in a book (I think it was "the story of Ozzy Osbourne" ) that a band (UFO?) was playing while they were removing Randy's Marshall stacks which were already set up on stage. Not sure if true or if any photo of that exists?
Nice photo!
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

Is it possible the amps in the background ARE Randy's? I mean, there's no white ones, so I guess that would be a no. Looks like the same model heads though. The different models up there look like the same models Randy had himself. (Toggle switches and rocker switches, if that's what they're called)
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Dutch,
You are correct. The Ozzy/Sabbath book by Garry Sharpe-Young I'm always going on about may be where you read that.
The guy with the BC Rich is Paul 'Tonka' Chapman, the guitarist for UFO, (Schenker's replacement), who wound up befriending Randy while on tour. He was actually waiting for Randy at the hotel the morning of the 19th, as he knew a dentist in Orlando who could help Randy out with his tooth issue.
Tonka had said that Ozzy's crew were taking down the band's backline while UFO were on. All these big, burly guys just losing it with grief over Randy being gone.
Not sure if those are Randy's stacks or not, Cryptic.
This would be the show where that bogus concert poster comes from. Tito was asking in another thread about footage from this show, as it was a big one. I'm sure the performances would have had an odd tone that day, especially UFO's.
WAR IN D

Post by WAR IN D »

Just a thought here, but if those were Randy's amps/cabs wouldn't you be able to see the silver centers of the Altecs in the cabs?

Could be that that angle is wrong, but I think they would be visible. JMHO.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Cryptic Night wrote:Is it possible the amps in the background ARE Randy's? I mean, there's no white ones, so I guess that would be a no. Looks like the same model heads though. The different models up there look like the same models Randy had himself. (Toggle switches and rocker switches, if that's what they're called)
I was wondering too. Hence at that time (1982) lots of bands where using the same Marshall heads that Randy used as well. Except for maybe the white Marshall head, which was a bit more rare.

*I think to see an altec 'silver center' in the cab outer left in the photo though..... (upper right speaker of the Marshall cab that's partly visible)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

Yeah, the only thing saying no to that theory is that the cabs are black, and so are all the heads. Randy had white cabs and one white head. I suppose it still is possible though. (Though, unlikely)

EDIT: The cabs may be just taped. One of the guitarists is covering up part of the cab, so we can't see the sides. I don't know if Randy still had his cabs covered in tape. Anyone else know?
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
mauk 1

Post by mauk 1 »

Ok,, After doing some research..( Because I wanted to know myself)..I have came up with this...
They very well maybe Randys...And I have photo's to show my theory... Hold on tight kiddies ,, here we go.. :lol:
Picture of Marshalls in question....(as posted above)
Yes Black Cabs.....But wait for it.....
ImageImage
mauk 1

Post by mauk 1 »

Whats this ?
Black Cabs.. No Altec Lansing speakers....
ImageImage
mauk 1

Post by mauk 1 »

Ok,, You may ask,,, But what makes you so sure Those are what Randy is playing through.....
Well ,,Look at the top left corner of the Black Cabs...You see tape on it holding extra picks.....
And Im sure we have all seen this pic from ADOTG..
No doubt Those are Randys White Marshalls.....and look white tape holding extra Picks...
And you can see the silver cone of the Altecs as well..
Last edited by mauk 1 on Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
mauk 1

Post by mauk 1 »

So Those in the pic Of U.F.O,, could have been Randys...The Florida show was to be a big event..
The photos of the Black Cabs I posted above was (at that time ) The second largest crowd He played for...
ImageImage
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Those black cabs from the HMH Portvale gig 1981 if you look closely all the cabs for both Randy & Rudy came from a hire firm in the UK. They have stickers on them Randy had one of the same stickers on his LP guitar case. Remember Ozzy & co flew from the states to do this one off gig in the UK. so they would of had to hire the whole back line. Leaving all there gear back in the States.
Those black cabs are UFO's Paul Chapmans when the bands would set up they would have Ozzy's back line set up first at the back of the stage. Then UFO gear set up in front of that, all of Randys Marshall cabs would of been white at this time. Some black ones have been seen used slightly off stage as side fills when the castle set was used later on in the tour. This was when the 4 X 12 white Marshalls had black duct tape put around the front edges to black them out. Then later they were used at the side of the stage.
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

:D Cabinets on HMH Port Vale pic are Motörhead´s backline... If I recall that correctly! :lol:
Mikel
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

stealaway wrote::D Cabinets on HMH Port Vale pic are Motörhead´s backline... If I recall that correctly! :lol:
If you look closely on that last HMH photo of Randy you can see Motorhead's amp heads behind Randy's stacks. This was talked about years ago and if you look closely you can see the hire sticker in the top right corner of each cab. I've seen photos that can clearly see Motorheads back line set up behind Randy's and Rudy's cabs. All the bands gear was set up in the running order. I've seen Triumph's gear set up with Ozzy's and Motorheads behind.