Grover Jackson gives away the first GJ2 Concorde guitar

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

randy will never die
Mass Poster

Grover Jackson gives away the first GJ2 Concorde guitar

Post by randy will never die »

the full tittle is to long but the rest said in honnor to randy rhoads please watch this is a specal thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlF3pwt_f_A

:!: :cry: :D THANK YOU FOR WATCHIN :D :cry: :!:
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: Grover Jackson gives away the first GJ2 Concorde guitar

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Personally, I don't care for the looks of it. Much the same way that Leo Fender went on to create guitars as G&L, Grover sold his company and is starting anew. I respect that.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

thing I like about it is, it is very close to a picture I have seen of what randy drew on a paper towel when coming up with a design (mainly talking the headstock)....what I think would be better would be if it was white (and had better vol/tone knobs). But I guess other colour options will be coming.

would I buy one....yes if the price is right
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

Personally I think that this is way nicer than the Jackson line. It is closer to what randy drew and I like the shape better than the Jacksons. The main production RR series isnt even either body shape that he used, so I too would consider one if the price is right
GuitarJoe
Cool Member

Post by GuitarJoe »

Nice to see the guy who won it was very appreciative and grateful. Good deal all around!
fortress
Madman

Post by fortress »

BowTie29 wrote:Personally I think that this is way nicer than the Jackson line. It is closer to what randy drew and I like the shape better than the Jacksons. The main production RR series isnt even either body shape that he used, so I too would consider one if the price is right

He would have used them if it wasnt for the accident. But he played the new design before the plance crash.. YOu can see picture of him with it
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

sytharnia wrote:thing I like about it is, it is very close to a picture I have seen of what randy drew on a paper towel when coming up with a design (mainly talking the headstock)....what I think would be better would be if it was white (and had better vol/tone knobs). But I guess other colour options will be coming.

would I buy one....yes if the price is right
Do you have a copy of the picture Randy drew that you could post?
Isodee
Cool Member

Post by Isodee »

BowTie29 wrote:Personally I think that this is way nicer than the Jackson line. It is closer to what randy drew and I like the shape better than the Jacksons. The main production RR series isnt even either body shape that he used, so I too would consider one if the price is right
Grover Jackson: "This guitar is an extension of that guitar, it's the guitar that I think he might be playing if he were alive."

Isn't the black one same body shape as production line RR series?

Check out rest of the pics HERE.
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

Yeah, I thought that it was different. For some reason the one he used looked much better then the production line ones. I would actually get the one he played, but I dont like the look of the new ones. Also I hate jumbo frets, but I guess that he did use that shape.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

I think there s a reason Randy chose Grovers design over his own.They were much better looking.
The Jackson headstock is a classic and original.
Its tough for guys like gj and leo fender when they invent beautiful shapes and then cant use them once they sell.It must be very frustrating but they made their money-that is the price you pay i guess.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I read somewhere that randy didn't care for the 'concord' after having them for a while because they are difficult to play while seated. (I'd concur... I owned one and really didn't find it to be comfortable to play).

I wonder if he'd have liked the superstrats that were all the rage in the '80's?
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

His V was really a super strat in concept as he was mixing Gibson sound and humbuckers with the trem system of the strat which is the same thing super strats were
Isodee
Cool Member

Post by Isodee »

Paul Wolfe wrote:I read somewhere that randy didn't care for the 'concord' after having them for a while because they are difficult to play while seated. (I'd concur... I owned one and really didn't find it to be comfortable to play).
I always thought playing while seated was part of the design. :wink:

oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

Do you think those sofa's will ever make a comeback-ubiquitous item in the 70s and early 80s?
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Not really sure what to think of this guitar. Obviously it's nice to see it made regardless. But without a spec sheet and explanation by GroverJ, it's really just another V guitar.

I'm not an expert on the flying V's Randy got after the concord (there were two ordered no?). But I've often looked at the specs of Jacksons RR line and wondered if it was really what the man himself ordered. Jumbo frets, JB and Jazz pickup, fretboard radius etc never quite made sense to me. I'd love to know if this guitar is closer to what RR wanted.

Moreover, I'd love to see a conceptual design, based on what RR may be playing today. Personally I could see him eventually ditching the V in favour of something closer to an LP or strat shape. Coil splitting? Acoustic pickup? 7 string? Robotic tuning? Who knows. I can imagine Randy loving a PRS.

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk