Are there only two soundboard recordings that we have...

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

NoQuattro
Cool Member

Are there only two soundboard recordings that we have...

Post by NoQuattro »

access to? Those being 5/11/81 Cleveland and 7/28/81 Montreal. Plus, is the 9/2/80 soundboard tape (used on Tribute for GTR and NBM) available anywhere?
"Everyone says theres nothing new that can be done with a guitar, but when people like Randy come along, they realize they're wrong." -- Angus Young, AC/DC
DMRX
Mass Poster

Re: Are there only two soundboard recordings that we have...

Post by DMRX »

:?: Do you Mean MULTI-TRACKED tapes???
Those the only ones that we Know of for Certin,I'll try to find the pictures of the Montreal Reels,Master mixed for radio tapes,I saw at the KING BISCUIT FLOWER HOUR web site.

We Know that Cleveland was Obviously used for Tribute,with Randys guitar tweaked & Ozzys Vocals Overdubbed.The Montreal was used for King Buscit,but only part of the "Spotlight solo"
But they were mixed by the engineers for the Radio show,I'll try to find link.

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/ozzy-osbo ... -1981.html

Concert Summary Ozzy Osbourne had only been out of Black Sabbath a couple of years when he formed this now legendary solo band and embarked on his controversial Blizzard of Oz tour (rumored to be a reference to his ongoing cocaine use). Now supporting a wife, Sharon (the daughter of Sabbath manager Don Arden), Ozzy was essentially broke, and had to start from the ground up when launching his newfound solo career.
Unlike most lead singers who go solo in order to…entire summary

Ozzy Osbourne - vocals
Randy Rhoads - guitar
Rudy Sarzo - bass
Tommy Aldridge - drums
Don Airey - keyboards

Ozzy Osbourne had only been out of Black Sabbath a couple of years when he formed this now legendary solo band and embarked on his controversial Blizzard of Oz tour (rumored to be a reference to his ongoing cocaine use). Now supporting a wife, Sharon (the daughter of Sabbath manager Don Arden), Ozzy was essentially broke, and had to start from the ground up when launching his newfound solo career.

Unlike most lead singers who go solo in order to distance themselves artistically from the band they had just left, Ozzy stuck with the type of music he knew: deep, heavy, slow moving rock with lyrical themes centered around Satan, the Occult, the presence of evil in the world and drug use ( just listen to the first track here, "Flying High Again"). Needless to say, Osbourne and the Blizzard of Oz simply picked up where the Osbourne-led Sabbath left off.

The rhythm section of bassist Rudy Sarzo and drummer Tommy Aldridge is rock solid, but it is the innovative and fluid guitar wok of Randy Rhoads that makes this period in Osbourne's career so important. Consisting mostly of material from the first LP, Blizzard of Oz, and what was to be his second album, Diary of a Madman, this show clearly demonstrates the excitement Osbourne was experiencing with his newfound solo project.

Thanks to great material including "Mr. Crowley," "Crazy Train" and "I Don't Know," this album, in addition to Osbourne's first solo outing, was a huge success, both in the U.S. and in his native U.K. The record went to the Top 20 and these songs remain staples of FM rock playlists to this day. But what makes this Canadian appearance so special is that it is one of the few professional live recordings made of Randy Rhoads, who would die in a senseless small plane crash the following May, while taking a joy ride on a rare day off from Osbourne's hectic touring schedule. While he was alive, critics and fans were saying Rhoads was as good as Eddie Van Halen; who knows what great music he could have made had he not died so early in life.

Ozzy and Sabbath fans alike will love this recording, even though he only does one song from his Sabbath days, the set-closing "Paranoid."

And we Know the UK tapes do exsist because Ozzy Rerecorded the Bass & Drums on I dont know (live) in 2002 & Used those tappes for Tribute on GTR & No Bone
NoQuattro
Cool Member

Post by NoQuattro »

Yeah, I was just curious if that 9/2/80 soundboard recording had surfaced as a bootleg yet so we could hear the whole show instead of just two tracks. It would be really great to hear the original lineup like that; the quality of GTP and NBM on Tribute is just fantastic. I would very much like to hear YLAMLAY from that show.

It drives me crazy that there are people out there just sitting on this stuff.
"Everyone says theres nothing new that can be done with a guitar, but when people like Randy come along, they realize they're wrong." -- Angus Young, AC/DC
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

Well, Milwaukee 1982 is also a sound board tape I believe. So is Cardiff 1981. Correct me if i'm wrong.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Ya I think you have multi track and soundboard mixed up .