Randys White/Cream LesPaul Custom

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

Xanadu wrote:Big P.....I think that is a very legit question. I think it would be absolutely appropriate for it to be with Randy. What better place for it to be, in my opinion. It was his favorite guitar according to many articles over the years. I would doubt very much if the Rhoads family would ever confirm this though because of fears of vandalism at his gravesite. There are many ghouls out there.......sad but true.
That would be very cool if it was with Randy. People do say he was a part of his guitar. Would anyone really steal it though? Only a huge Randy fan would go that far to get it but most huge Randy fans respect him way too much to ever think about doing such a thing.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Could be very well true, although this another subject but I heard that after all these years his sleeping room is untouched since then as well..... and also his car is still parked in front of the house. (!)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Tommy
Cool Member

Post by Tommy »

Yes, his bedroom has been left untouched. 8) And since Delores have said that his guitars and gear are locked up in a vault, I think that's correct as well. :P
therhoadlesstraveled
Cool Member

Post by therhoadlesstraveled »

It's true his room was left the way he left it, and his car is in the driveway. I have also seen a black and white photo of Delores holding the LP, I think it was taken in the mid 80's. I'll look for it right now. But none of the guitars are buried with him.
therhoadlesstraveled
Cool Member

Post by therhoadlesstraveled »

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:S ... 0003rr.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't find anything larger.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

therhoadlesstraveled wrote:http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:S ... 0003rr.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't find anything larger.
oh man, that's the smallest photo I've ever seen :shock:
The Flying Dutchman

therhoadlesstraveled wrote:It's true his room was left the way he left it, and his car is in the driveway. I have also seen a black and white photo of Delores holding the LP, I think it was taken in the mid 80's. I'll look for it right now. But none of the guitars are buried with him.
I think you are right, forgot about that pic, but yep I think his LP is still here. :)

Also wondering about the Black Jackson, it seems the only guitar which never been seen again after the accident.
Am I right or are there pics of that guitar publiced afterwards?
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

I don't think they would have buried the Concord with him since it wasn't his favourate guitar or anything. It may have been in the plane but I doubt it. I recon we haven't seen it because it's not as well known as the others.
The Flying Dutchman

Ell wrote:I don't think they would have buried the Concord with him since it wasn't his favourate guitar or anything. It may have been in the plane but I doubt it. I recon we haven't seen it because it's not as well known as the others.
Oh no, I don't meant that the Black Jackson was maybe buried with him.

But I just wonder if it ever showed up after the crash?
I know he didn't really like the White Jackson, but I never heard comments of him about the Black Jackson if he liked that guitar or not.
Xanadu
Cool Member

Post by Xanadu »

Ya know what...I completely forgot about that photo of Mrs. Rhoads holding the Les Paul. I recall it being published in the very first tribute issue of "Guitar Player" magazine in the early-mid 80's. I think it was '83 or '84...something like that. I guess that definately proves it's not with Randy.....
".....the moment Randy Rhoads walked out on stage, you knew you were WITNESSING something IMPORTANT."
The Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman wrote:But I just wonder if it ever showed up after the crash?
mmm....I think it did show up after in below picture ( taken by Glen LA Ferman for guitarworld jan '94 ) :

I think this picture is taken after '82.
Ell
Mass Poster

Post by Ell »

Flying Dutchman wrote:Oh no, I don't meant that the Black Jackson was maybe buried with him.

But I just wonder if it ever showed up after the crash?
I know he didn't really like the White Jackson, but I never heard comments of him about the Black Jackson if he liked that guitar or not.
How come he didn't like the white one? Anyone know why?
Tommy
Cool Member

Post by Tommy »

Those guitars look way to new to be Randy's. Atleast the white V can't be his... The black jackson could be, but i'd be surprised.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

but still, does anybody know what kind of pickup Gibson used
for their '72 LPC's ? I've heard it was a hottar PAF type
but you'll never know ;)
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Ok, so I've done some research on the pickups
and I've found something interesting ;)

This is what's related to Randys LPC ...
1965-1975 (note overlap with prior bullet point): T-top, "patent no." sticker,
no longer has hole in bobbin showing wire, orange wire,
short magnet, screws on bottom of base are usually slotted but could be phillips.
"L" toolmark can be seen on early T-top pickups.
After PAF pickups were gone, the patent# pickups were next and used from 1962 to 1965.
Then from 1965 to 1975 (note overlap) the next Gibson humbucker is known as the "T bucker" or "T top".
They are called this because of a "T" that is part of the molding on the front of the two pickup bobbins.
These also had the decal with "Patent No 2,737,842" (still the patent number of Les Paul's trapeze tailpiece).
The only way to see the "T" is to remove the pickup cover. A small change in late patent# pickups was
white PVC bobbin wires instead of black (black was used on pre-1965 humbuckers). Also T buckers can use
either slot or phillips head screws to hold the bobbins to the base plate. From 1976 to the 1980s they still used the
"T bucker" but now they had the correct patent number stamped in the metal bottom plate (no decal).
and if anyone wants to read some Gibson pickup history, here you go ;)

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/paf.html