The Other Side of Ozzy Osbourne

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

ptate
Cool Member

The Other Side of Ozzy Osbourne

Post by ptate »

Hi everyone.

I assume this is old-hat to you all, but I've been lent an official tape recording of this album featuring Randy and here's what it's all about:

All Music Guide ReviewThis obscure, ultra-rare release is quite a find for fans of Ozzy -- it's essentially a B-sides compilation of Osbourne's early solo work (from 1980 up to 1984). And what makes The Other Side of Ozzy Osbourne a must-have are the five tracks that feature guitar legend Randy Rhoads (three live, two outtakes). When Rhoads died in early 1982, he unfortunately had only two official albums to his credit (1980's Blizzard of Ozz and 1981's Diary of a Madman). Subsequently, fans have been subjected to abysmal-sounding bootlegs of material not up to the high standards set by these two classics. Even with the release of the Ozzy/Randy posthumous Tribute live album and numerous Osbourne anthologies, these tracks have managed to slip through the cracks. "You, Looking at Me Looking at You" is a rocking outtake from the Blizzard of Ozz sessions and contains a classic Rhoads guitar solo. The other track, "You Said It All," was never properly recorded in the studio, and only this in-concert take exists (but it deserves to be heard because of its powerful guitar riff). And while the three live Randy-era songs are pleasures to hear, similar versions were later featured on the above-mentioned Tribute album. The other five tracks showcased on The Other Side feature Randy's replacement, Jake E. Lee; while Lee only lasted for two studio albums himself, he was a very original and talented player. For proof, just give a listen to his solid playing on the studio track "One Up the 'B' Side" and the live version of "Bark at the Moon," where he simply shreds. It's a mystery that this album was never released in countries besides Japan, since it contains a wealth of material that many Ozzy fans don't even know exists to this day. It's never been released on CD either, so happy hunting in used record stores. ~ Greg Prato, All Music Guide
The Other Side of Ozzy Osbourne Track ListingTrack# Title time lyrics

1 Mr. Crowley (Live)
2 I Don't Know (Live)
3 Suicide Solution (Live)
4 You, Looking at Me Looking at You
5 You Said It All (Live)
6 Bark at the Moon (Live)
7 One up the 'B' Side
8 Spider
9 Paranoid (Live)
10 Suicide Solution (Live)

Credits of The Other Side of Ozzy OsbourneMax Norman Producer, Engineer Randy Rhoads Guitar Rudy Sarzo Bass Don Airey Keyboards Tommy Aldridge Drums Bob Daisley Bass, Producer Lee Kerslake Drums Jake E. Lee Guitar Ozzy Osbourne Vocals, Producer, Main Performer .

Sounds awesome.

The question is, what does anyone else think?

Peace......
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

I have this on LP, it was released in Japan and was an official release. I think it is sadly overlooked because the collectors already had everything that was on it BUT it really was another RR record/release and deserves a little more credit.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
ptate
Cool Member

Post by ptate »

Cheers Trigger.

It is a shame because there isn't much of the RR era stuff around and any official release should really be recognised.

Can it be bought on CD do you know?

Peace.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

ptate wrote:Cheers Trigger.

It is a shame because there isn't much of the RR era stuff around and any official release should really be recognised.

Can it be bought on CD do you know?

Peace.
Sadly no, I bought my copy at about the same time as CD's were just coming out.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

It's pretty much the Mr. Crowley EP + Prince of Darkness EP correct?
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

cableguyxx wrote:It's pretty much the Mr. Crowley EP + Prince of Darkness EP correct?
with 'you looking at me and a couple of tracks that didn't make it onto the 'Bark' album in either the USa or Britain.
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

Trigger wrote:
cableguyxx wrote:It's pretty much the Mr. Crowley EP + Prince of Darkness EP correct?
with 'you looking at me and a couple of tracks that didn't make it onto the 'Bark' album in either the USa or Britain.
"Prince of Darkness
12" EP, 1984, CBS Japan
Japanese only release including You Looking At Me - Remix, and One Up the "B" Side"
FiddlePickr

Post by FiddlePickr »

I remember back in '83 when my local stations were playing "One up the B-side" they said it was Randy on it...it's only been these years later (and I havn't heard it since then) that I found out it was Jake. I have the Live Crowley ep and always loved "You said it all" with it's Quiet Riot-esq intro...I really need to get that transfered to cd so I can listen to it again!
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

FiddlePickr wrote:I remember back in '83 when my local stations were playing "One up the B-side" they said it was Randy on it...it's only been these years later (and I havn't heard it since then) that I found out it was Jake. I have the Live Crowley ep and always loved "You said it all" with it's Quiet Riot-esq intro...I really need to get that transfered to cd so I can listen to it again!
Here ya go:

http://www.eternalrandyrhoads.com/audio ... y_EP_tape/

(direct rip from original cassette tape thanks to barkatozz from rr.tk)
FiddlePickr

Post by FiddlePickr »

Wow, ask and ye shall receive! Thanks cableguy!
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

thanks cable that sounded ssssoooo awesome!!!!!!!theres nothing like analog man!!!!
DayNah
Cool Member

Post by DayNah »

I'm pretty sure I read or heard an interview with Bob Daisley saying "You Said It All" on the Crowley EP was not live, it was recorded during a soundcheck.....
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

DayNah wrote:I'm pretty sure I read or heard an interview with Bob Daisley saying "You Said It All" on the Crowley EP was not live, it was recorded during a soundcheck.....
Kevin Dubrow had spoken about this at tk..I'm sure it's still around somewhere. And yeah, I think Bob Daisley and has mentioned it as well. The song was supposedly written that morning and recorded at a sound check, and then the solo was added in the truck after the show or later. The crowd noise was added in after the fact. Great song. Wish they would have recorded it in the studio.
zazafromjohor

Post by zazafromjohor »

Here attached a scan of the Randy Rhoads picture insert...part of this japanese release package....
Attachments
20100128040112076_0007.jpg
ammalato

Post by ammalato »

Funny thing about the guitar solo obn You Said It All...I always thought it sounded like it was recorded using Randy's little Zeus Practice Amp/Setup...if it was recorded after the fact in a "truck" I highly doubt it was recorded through his Marshall Stacks...that might very well mean that Halorising has the very amp that this rareity was recorded on...
Life's a stage and we're all in the cast.