Dec. 6, 2009 Memorial (Randy's B-Day)

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Dec. 6, 2009 Memorial (Randy's B-Day)

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

I was looking around to see if anyone filmed the event this year and found one on youtube. It talks about Randy's practice amp and the story behind the broken Polka Dot V.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P28ndqld ... r_embedded#
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

Last edited by wareagle on Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JustTakeAPebble
Mass Poster

Post by JustTakeAPebble »

Could explain why the V would go out of tune pretty quickly (if my ears are right, it goes slowly out of tune during Suicide Solution, either live or on the album)

Simon
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

I remember hearing Randy saying that he had alot of tuning problems w/that guitar,& I remember Kevin talking about how it broke @ the headstock shortly after he got it too.But Randy was a "MASTER" of tuning the guitar mid song,I remember seeing it at the Rock Hall about ten years ago and was blown away by how worn & torn it was theres a piece about 2 inches long at the tip of the headstock that is just wood!!It really made it all that more "Real" to me.

Thanks for Posting :D
JustTakeAPebble
Mass Poster

Post by JustTakeAPebble »

I will say this though, wow, its so quiet at that memorial... I hope its not THAT quiet when I go up one day.

Simon
TAB
Madman

Post by TAB »

Towards the end of QR he dropped it and cracked it from the headstock and top of the neck. When I saw the guitar at the R&R hall of fame in cleveland, I noticed at the bottom of the neck you could see exposed wood and a crack. I guess the paint probably came back off after all those years since Sandoval repaired it. It was around the 3rd fret on the back area of the neck. Around the bottom where the heel part of your hand would touch the neck. His tuning problems I think were more affected by the tremolo and set up of the nut and no truss rod in the Dan Electro neck.
RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Pictures Of Polka Dot

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

There is a great video of Randy's Jackson Guitar Pinstripe Flying V on youtube. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRhxt7jpSNs

Has anyone got a closeup or birdseye view of Randy's "Harpoon" Polka Dot V?
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
halorising

Post by halorising »

Im taking offers on that guitar as I have five Sandovals. I need $3000 for a dund buggy i found. This is custom Carl built for me and one of only two white with black dot's pdv's Carl has built.PM me
TAB
Madman

Re: Pictures Of Polka Dot

Post by TAB »

RR-ElectricAngel wrote:There is a great video of Randy's Jackson Guitar Pinstripe Flying V on youtube. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRhxt7jpSNs

Has anyone got a closeup or birdseye view of Randy's "Harpoon" Polka Dot V?
I was looking at it close up and noticed the tip of it and the back of the neck :idea:

Also Paul made a thread from the Pinstripe video you posted from Cal State. :arrow: http://ultimaterhoads.com/viewtopic.php?t=3742

I am at the end of the video , so I saw that close up too !!
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

TAB wrote:Towards the end of QR he dropped it and cracked it from the headstock and top of the neck. When I saw the guitar at the R&R hall of fame in cleveland, I noticed at the bottom of the neck you could see exposed wood and a crack. I guess the paint probably came back off after all those years since Sandoval repaired it. It was around the 3rd fret on the back area of the neck. Around the bottom where the heel part of your hand would touch the neck. His tuning problems I think were more affected by the tremolo and set up of the nut and no truss rod in the Dan Electro neck.
I agree,& Randy had a very heavy left hand vibrato & was the man
at tuning mid-song,look as far back as the "Look in any window" That I made he was doing that as part of the song like in "I Dont Know"

Here check it out about 20 seconds in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2A--JC8Lcg
SixPounder
Cool Member

Post by SixPounder »

It's wild to think that he'd be 52. Randy is forever young to me, he will always be that kid from California who could play circles around anybody.
RhoadsRockPhotographer
Cool Member

Post by RhoadsRockPhotographer »

SixPounder wrote:It's wild to think that he'd be 52.
Tyrackt71

Post by Tyrackt71 »

so young and talented to die....
"To this day I don't have a guitar idol. I have people who are my favorites."
-Randy Rhoads