RR and EVH

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

very good point tedeeoo!!now like i've said before eddie is a legend for obvious reasons other than his attitude(i love early vh).now here's a question i dont think anybody has asked..randy and eddie practically grew up very close to each other(playing the parties and strip).given the amount of students randy had before and after vh got famous,do you think eddie may have had someone he knew take a lesson or lessons from randy and have him/her come back and demonstrate what was taught to eddie?purely hypothetical!!
Gabriel Raphael
Cool Member

Post by Gabriel Raphael »

--
Last edited by Gabriel Raphael on Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

I definately agree about his rehab becoming the bottle, his training was classical piano but I think the guitar just came naturally to him. I agree also about his most impressive stuff being those first 5 albums, but I think 1984 also has some great stuff, especially song wise. "Drop Dead Legs" is just such a great riff, I always loved the vibe of "Top Jimmy" to as well as the "dirty tone" he gets on that song. If I remember right Alex plays some piano to, not sure how far he got with guitar. They were just so raw and aggressive during that era, their live shows from 78-85 (especially the Fair Warning and Diver Down tours) were just off the charts great.
"The Only Two Things In Life That Make It Worth Livin"
Gabriel Raphael
Cool Member

--
Last edited by Gabriel Raphael on Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Way back in, I believe, 1980, Ed was on the cover of Guitar Player... in the article, he mentioned a technique where he'd put his right hand on the neck above his left hand and use that to change the position of the nut (in theory). He'd put his right hand up there and move the left around. He states that he eventually wondered if he could reverse the idea and use his left hand in place of the nut and fret the notes with his right. Thus he stumbled across the tapping idea. This may have been in conjunction with the Heartbreaker solo, it doesn't say in the article.

Randy never came up with anything 'new' either, he simply combined known elements and did it better than anyone before him.
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

I have always heard Ed mention the Heartbreaker solo as the basis for his tapping also and also remember the story Paul is speaking of. I remember him saying he got the idea for the technique he uses on the front of Meanstreet front wanting something like "slap" bass players had. Not sure where the photo went Gabriel, maybe one of the moderators can tell you. I actually always thought some of the best things Randy brought to the table were his songwriting and especially some of his recording techniques and as I've said before, he just had that something that made you want to look and listen. And after talking with wareagle about Randy and Neal Schon, it made me remember just how great Randy's note choice was.
"The Only Two Things In Life That Make It Worth Livin"
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Click Here for the picture.
Gabriel Raphael
Cool Member

--
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Gabriel Raphael wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:Click Here for the picture.
eh, just popped in, the link is dead :(
Let's try it this way... the pickgaurd is not as clear, but you can still see where Ed's name is engraved.
Attachments
89783153.jpg
Gabriel Raphael
Cool Member

--
Last edited by Gabriel Raphael on Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gus
Cool Member

Post by Gus »

'Six Strung Out' said "EVH uses his electric guitar as a magic wand (an endless display of slick guitar tricks).

RR used his electric guitar as a musical wand (a ton of hummable melodies that stick in the mind)."

What stands out to me even now about Randy is how memorable his solos are. I have heard those solos on 'Blizzard' and 'Diary' so many times, but I still enjoy them. I think this is because RR could solo in a way that was complex, had some flash, and still be melodic with it. Solos are one element where I think RR was more consistent than Eddie. EVH can play solos that are melodic too, eg. 'Beat It', 'Ice Cream Man', 'Secrets' among others, but I just don't think he did it often enough. I love EVH: he's written many brilliant riffs, but sometimes he seemed to sacrifice note choice for the sake of the tricks when it came to his solos.
Gabriel Raphael
Cool Member

--
Last edited by Gabriel Raphael on Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

Gabriel Raphael wrote:i still wonder what EVH would sound like if he hooked up with Bob Daisly (who wrote and arranged the first 4 solo records for Ozzy ), they certainly did not sound like Quiet Riot, and no one knows what Ed sounds like outside his Brothers band either, he certainly could of made one or 2 solo records.
Well Ed teamed up with Brian May in around 1983 for somthing called "Starfleet" and from what i remember it was totally forgettable LOL ..... I have over the years often wished EVH would do an indulgent guitar solo album , but that looks very doubtful .
................................................................Image...............................................................................
Gabriel Raphael
Cool Member

--
Remedylane
Cool Member

Post by Remedylane »

Figured Id give my feelings on EVH.. I read through the entire thread and saw some interesting points.. There is no question regarding EVHs influence on guitar players, and how he revolutionized it.. There was simply no one mainstream that was playing like him in the late 70s. I say mainstream because even though QR was poppy, Randy was still doing some pretty fresh stuff himself.. Personally outside of the tapping bit in his spotlight solo, I never picked up on much EVH influence in Randys playing.. Randy was much more fluid and melodic in my opinion.. And to me his solos are much more memorable than EVHs.. I always catch a lot of flak for this in my local musician circle, but I always thought EVH played much cooler rhythms than he did leads.. And I personally LOVE Van Hagar.. I thought Balance was a great album.. Again, I know im in a very small minority, but wanted to voice my opinion too!

Matt