RR and EVH

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I saw Scorpions and Maiden in '82 - same bill, Maiden opening - and they had everything you could want in a show... the music, the look, the moves... I saw Ozzy and VH in '84 a couple weeks apart as well. I remember Jake the way Oth described him, like he had practiced the moves. Ed just looks so natural. I recently downloaded Largo from ISOHUNT and it's pristine, Oth. VH was on fire and just insanely good. I'd like to see a quality copy of the Sao Paulo '83 show where they played covers like Beer Drinkers and Hellraisers by ZZ Top. Van Halen was THE band in the '80s.
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

Everything about playing guitar looks natural to Ed, still never saw anything in Jake that made me think he was any more "posed" than anyone else, but he did come out of that era and Ozzy likes his guitar players to have a huge presence on stage (which Jake definately had). But hey, to each his own and as I stated I am a huge Jake fan. I like Maiden to, I saw Judas Priest this past summer in Nashville and they were just awesome, unquestionably the tightest band I have ever seen. When I saw Whitesnake in 87', they seemed like they were on another level from some of the other bands of that era (including who they opened for), of course given who was in that band at the time they should have been. They (WS) opened for Priest in N'ville and they were great there also, Doug Aldrich is a fantastic guitarist and a really nice guy on top of it, something about him reminds me alot of Randy. Speaking of Randy, he had something very different on stage, he just had that unique quality that made you want to keep listening and watching, people like that are just so blessed to me. He didn't really have to do anything but walk out on stage and you could not help but watch him, I don't know that I've ever seen any other guitar player that had as much of that quality as Randy, and that's just an impression from clips that I've seen, I wish I could have actually seen him, I'm sure alot of people wish that.
"The Only Two Things In Life That Make It Worth Livin"
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

Oh I have the show from Brazil where VH does "Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers", not great quality but a great show nonetheless. And that's a great cover for them, I read somewhere that before that tour Ed went to Billy Gibbons house for some reason to talk with him about that song. Makes you wonder considering what all is in the solo of ZZ's original version of that song, of course that story could be BS too!! lol!!!!!!!
Paiste2002
Cool Member

Post by Paiste2002 »

Tedeeo you nailed it. Randy's playing was just amazing that live tone hit you in the face. I swear the only person I know who can replicate that was his best student Craig Collins Turner. Randy and Craig are so much alike. I loved watching them play and I am a drummer. They just had fun playing and made it look so damn easy. Both were easy going funny guys.

I think Van Halen was more a chick type band and party band and that got Eddie alot of cred, while Ozzy was mainly driven towards teenage boys and mainly a guy audience. I think looking back Eddie felt threatened by Randy's rising star power so of course he made some off the cuff DuBrow like remarks. The reality the two bands were polar opposites of each other. It's like comparing an apple to an orange.

I would say musicianship wise Ozzy wins that battle hands down. Stage persona and eye candy for the chicks and overall vocals VH.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

the thing i truly admire about vh is their fucking harmonies!i read that eddie was the singer for a short time before david joined the band..but who the hell can replace mike anthony!!!!???those 3 guys doing harmony in the studio or live is one of the most overlooked topics when speaking of vh!!!!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Paiste2002 wrote:Tedeeo you nailed it. Randy's playing was just amazing that live tone hit you in the face. I swear the only person I know who can replicate that was his best student Craig Collins Turner.
Since you seem to mention this guy so much, I thought I'd check him out, finally!

For anyone interested in the playing of one of Randy's students, click here.
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

I remember seeing Craig in the spotlight column of Guitar World (or Guitar Player, I can't remember which), a very long time ago. Have never heard him play so I'll definately be checking this clip out.
Paiste2002
Cool Member

Post by Paiste2002 »

I mention Craig, because he is one of the best unknown guitar players of that era period. I would argue he is equal or better than Randy. Also if you listened to his music with Drew it speaks for itself. Drew was hardly the hack Dubrow made him out to be and it shows in these tunes. Craig was good enough to make it to the number two spot with Ozzy twice. So yea I hype up people I think are worth mentioning. Chet Thompson was another great player and he taught my ex guitarist.

The point is Craig Collins Turner was hands down Randys most advanced student. Randy would agree on that I have no doub't as would Kelly Garni and Doug Rhoads.
espvh

Post by espvh »

tedeeoo wrote:Yeah, I like that album too, my favorite off of that record has always been Hang em' High.

That snare tone is actually where the term "Brown Sound" came from.
'Scuse me tarbender, take me drunk, I'm home!
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

any vids of this collins guy on you tube anywhere?
Paiste2002
Cool Member

Post by Paiste2002 »

Let me work on that issue. Drew has a tape as does Craig of some shows they did. One was at the Country Club in Reseda and I think the other was at Gazzari's or maybe the Roxy. I talked about it already with Tony Kelly and Craig. I will re-address the issue. Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and God Bless,

Craig
Gabriel Raphael
Cool Member

Post by Gabriel Raphael »

--
Last edited by Gabriel Raphael on Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Six_Strung_Out
Cool Member

Post by Six_Strung_Out »

EVH uses his electric guitar as a magic wand (an endless display of slick guitar tricks).

RR used his electric guitar as a musical wand (a ton of hummable melodies that stick in the mind).

EVH + RR= What every electric guitar player should try to express....
Gabriel Raphael
Cool Member

Post by Gabriel Raphael »

Between the two i always said that Ed is thee ultimate super pop guitarists., I have had the honor to hear ED dismayed over the title pop in my face because when it comes to metal where the guitar is totally free Randy Rhoads already invaded the extremes of that genre by been the most iconic guitarists and probably the best guitarist that ever lived., Randy not only paid the price with hard work and dedication but he died doing it., Ed has no argument to that.

I have read Ed saying that Randy was the only honest one to mention Ed's influencing him while others in the LA scene tried to conceal it, well, lets be honest about it with Ed, if it was not for Van Hallen writing chart hits Ed would of probably been only famous within a guitar cult because Randy got very popular and fast for his musical abilities, looks and in a truly metal band with very little chance of been on the charts and some cult Ozzy followers.

I believe Ed admires Randy and feels for his loss, in the matter of comparing them closely as guitarists outside there careers or what took place it boils down to a matter of taste and i like both.

Between us RR folks here (no offense to ED), did you notice Ed stopped pumping chops after RR past away?
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

Gabriel Raphael wrote:
Between us RR folks here (no offense to ED), did you notice Ed stopped pumping chops after RR past away?
I can't completely agree with this statement, I saw Ed on 2 tours with Sammy, the first one was right after the split with DLR and Ed was amazing, one of the best live shows I've ever seen any guitar player play. The second time I saw him was on the F.U.C.K. tour, that album is the reason I can't really agree with this statement as to my ear I could hear the influence of some of the newer guitar players on Ed and there are a few things on that record that I had never heard out of Ed before, some real alternate picking with a neck pick-up sound and even a little bit of sweep picking. Of course this is completely just my opinion and by no means am I saying you are wrong Gabriel, I definately think Randy pushed Eddie, and I think he started doing it before either of them got famous.